Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 PM

7 posts, read 12,401 times

Advertisements

Hello all, My family will be moving to Tennessee next year, we are currently based here in Japan. I am married with a 7 year old daughter, and my wife is a stay home. We are Asians.

First, any suggestions where is the best place to relocate, I will be working to Millington, Tennessee as a detailer and this will be our first time. So, I really have no idea. we consider safety (low crime rates), good community (cohesive), and near grocery/shopping malls. I am receiving mixed informations.

Where are best elementary schools located at? be it public, or private?

Are there good employment?

Is there hospitals near each good community?

Thank you so much.

Last edited by Jhammy; 10-14-2014 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: wrong grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 07:32 AM

737 posts, read 1,920,696 times
Best elementaries are in the suburbs, specifically Germantown and Collierville. I would guess those suburbs are also where you will find the most asian population - solely due to FedEx headquarters out there. There is a large hospital in Germantown (Methodist Germantown). Not sure why you ask about that, but keep in mind that you can live anywhere in the county and be within 15 minutes of a good hospital. Memphis has a relatively small metro area.

There is a new interestate loop that goes outside of the city, that would make it easier for you to get to Millington from those suburbs.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 AM

Thank you so much for this great information CristenS.

I am asking for a big hospital because of medical/health reasons. I believe we only have a clinic inside millington, wife prefers civilian doctors due to their vast experience.

Are larkland and bartlet suburb areas too? In the reviews they have outstanding elementary schools.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:17 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,404,059 times
Bartlett is probably your best bet. It's a fairly quick trip from, especially the northwest side of Bartlett, there to Millington, but has most of the conveniences you won't find in the more rural Northern Shelby County. Bartlett is safe, stable, has good municipal schools, 3 Kroger locations (Stage at Bartlett Blvd, Stage at Kirby-Whitten, and US-70 at Appling), a hospital (St Francis-Bartlett) and is near the Wolfchase Galleria, which is the largest mall in town.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 AM

Thank you so much it will make our research smaller coz of the information you have just provided.

Our daughter attends GATES (gifted and talented educational school) and we would love for her to continue loving school and not get bored and be a problem child in school. I dont know if Tennessee has the same program as with OCONUS/Overseas. Any idea?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM

Bartlett, Germantown, and Collierville all have their own school districts as of this year. Lakeland does not (right?). So I would be more hesitant to live somewhere outside of the borders of the other 3 suburbs. Not to say Lakeland schools are bad, they are not. But if they are still a part of Memphis City/Shelby County system, they will likely see problems that the other districts will not have. I'm sure all schools have some sort of talented and gifted program though.

If in Bartlett, I would stay away from the "Wolfchase" area which is basically Cordova. It's crowded, traffic is terrible, and the area is going downhill (in Cordova). Also the western part of Bartlett near the Memphis area of "Raleigh" is not the best. Stick to the 'heart' of Bartlett.

This also all depends on if you are going to be renting or buying, and what your budget will be. Any ideas?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,404,059 times
Lakeland has their own municipal school district, which has exactly one school, Lakeland Elementary. They have an agreement with Arlington that Lakeland students may attend Arlington High School. They are also planning on building their own high school soon. Lakeland board approves 65% tax hike for school construction - The Commercial Appeal

Old 10-15-2014, 08:59 AM

Good to know. I knew they had tried to do it, but I didn't know they got it done in time for this school year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Lakeland has their own municipal school district, which has exactly one school, Lakeland Elementary. They have an agreement with Arlington that Lakeland students may attend Arlington High School. They are also planning on building their own high school soon. Lakeland board approves 65% tax hike for school construction - The Commercial Appeal

Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 AM

473 posts, read 798,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
Bartlett, Germantown, and Collierville all have their own school districts as of this year. Lakeland does not (right?). So I would be more hesitant to live somewhere outside of the borders of the other 3 suburbs. Not to say Lakeland schools are bad, they are not. But if they are still a part of Memphis City/Shelby County system, they will likely see problems that the other districts will not have. I'm sure all schools have some sort of talented and gifted program though.

If in Bartlett, I would stay away from the "Wolfchase" area which is basically Cordova. It's crowded, traffic is terrible, and the area is going downhill (in Cordova). Also the western part of Bartlett near the Memphis area of "Raleigh" is not the best. Stick to the 'heart' of Bartlett.

This also all depends on if you are going to be renting or buying, and what your budget will be. Any ideas?
Millington, Bartlett, Lakeland, Arlington, Collierville, and Gerrmantown all have their own school districts.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 AM

7,544 posts, read 17,280,209 times
I agree that Bartlett is your best choice, given your work location and desire to be near shopping and medical amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis