Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:58 AM

3,223 posts, read 10,124,884 times

Advertisements

I know the Raleigh area has seen better days but I'm wondering if the area is really as bad as its reputation, I have seen some areas of Raleigh and thought there are a lot of nice, well maintained homes, I do know they used to have a thriving mall in the area many years ago which unfortunately closed down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 03:00 AM

680 posts, read 1,037,953 times
Quote:
Is Raleigh really as bad as its reputation?
Yes.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:33 AM

473 posts, read 799,239 times
^ lol. I live in Raleigh between Craigmont and Bartlett High. While it is no Germantown/Collierville, I have had minimal issues in the several years I have been here. The housing around Lake Windemere is a real bargain for lakefront property, but sadly I think housing prices will be more likely to decline than not

Old 10-14-2014, 07:31 AM

737 posts, read 1,921,911 times
I'm not sure what it's reputation is. I've never thought of it as a horrible area to run from. Like you said, there are some nice areas still - maybe not 'nice' by Germantown standards, but older homes that are well cared for and neighborhoods where people clearly take pride in their homes. I think it's maintained itself better than, say, Cordova will. Cordova is the next Hickory Hill, which went downhill sharply.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:20 AM

7,549 posts, read 17,296,255 times
Cordova doesn't have to be the next Hickory Hill. But the new ring road will pull so much commercial development so many MORE miles out east... I hope that being located between Bartlett and Germantown will help Cordova succeed. Hickory Hill had practically no decent connections - Whitehaven to the west, unincorporated lands to the east, and the dredges of Orange Mound to the north.

I have a friend that lives in Raleigh and he is perfectly safe. However, I would never buy in Raleigh, because the resale is practically nonexistent.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:03 PM

139 posts, read 312,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Cordova doesn't have to be the next Hickory Hill. But the new ring road will pull so much commercial development so many MORE miles out east... I hope that being located between Bartlett and Germantown will help Cordova succeed. Hickory Hill had practically no decent connections - Whitehaven to the west, unincorporated lands to the east, and the dredges of Orange Mound to the north.

I have a friend that lives in Raleigh and he is perfectly safe. However, I would never buy in Raleigh, because the resale is practically nonexistent.
Orange Mound and Whitehaven are nowhere near Hickory Hill. I doubt if the new ring road brings much commercial development further east, unless Memphis gets a heavy influx of transplants which is most likely not happening. Memphis does not have the population for any more profitable sprawl. The days of neighborhood leapfrogging in Memphis are over, at least it should be as the country as a whole is once again in a 2008-ish bubble environment.

As far as Raleigh, you are right. My cousin lived in a perfectly fine neighborhood, before moving back to his childhood home after his mother passed in what was the country, but now Bartlett. He was lucky and was able to sell his home for little more than what he paid, sales price wise, but with the commissions and such I'm sure he took small loss overall.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:05 PM

7,549 posts, read 17,296,255 times
I dunno. I would say that many people's mental maps of Memphis associate Hickory Hill with the blight of greater south Memphis (aka Whitehaven). You're right that Orange Mound is more northwest of HH than right above it. Still, for better or worse, HH gets lumped into the blight that is Getwell Road.

I guess time will tell about commercial development farther out east. The big cinema already pulled out of Wolfchase to build a new theater out there in the countryside.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:35 PM

329 posts, read 638,426 times
Yea I don't see commercial development going farther east unless, Cordova be comes undesirable or if the Memphis area started growing faster. That driving force existed in the 90s and early 2000s. I can imagine if either were the case, the land near the completed 385 would selling fast.

Raleigh isn't as bad as the reputation, there is issues that need attention. It reminds me of Whitehaven in some ways. Now if the city plans with the redevelopment of the Raleigh Springs mall goes ahead, then property values should increase in the area.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
I'm not sure what it's reputation is. I've never thought of it as a horrible area to run from. Like you said, there are some nice areas still - maybe not 'nice' by Germantown standards, but older homes that are well cared for and neighborhoods where people clearly take pride in their homes. I think it's maintained itself better than, say, Cordova will. Cordova is the next Hickory Hill, which went downhill sharply.
A lot of the houses in Raleigh reminds me a lot of the houses you see in the nicer portions of Whitehaven and I often see Raleigh as the northern version of Whitehaven, there are some homes in Whitehaven that is something you would expect to see in Germantown, the Raleigh Springs Mall somewhat reminds me of the Hickory Ridge Mall.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I dunno. I would say that many people's mental maps of Memphis associate Hickory Hill with the blight of greater south Memphis (aka Whitehaven). You're right that Orange Mound is more northwest of HH than right above it. Still, for better or worse, HH gets lumped into the blight that is Getwell Road.

I guess time will tell about commercial development farther out east. The big cinema already pulled out of Wolfchase to build a new theater out there in the countryside.
I always thought Hickory Hill doesn't start until you reach Mendenhall Road going eastbound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis