Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:43 AM

22 posts, read 29,226 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. Didn't realize some of the houses near the University area were so cheap to rent! I've been seeing a bunch of apartments that have weight restrictions at 35lbs and since my Labrador is 80 that might be a problem. I saw two apartments called Mimosa Gardens and Brister Square that looks pretty nice. Good areas? Figured I'd do better to get something closer to the University since my classes will be at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 09:00 AM

1,273 posts, read 991,710 times
Get an on campus parking pass. It is some of the cheapest parking of any university and you will guarantee a parking spot in a safe lot, which is very important if you have night classes.

I never felt unsafe nor gad any run ins with creeps at night on campus, but I know lots of friends who did and I'm lucky I never got hurt. Thinking back I was pretty dumb. I attended the U of M from 2002 to 2012.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:33 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
The U of M is the safest public university in the state of Tennessee, according to crime statistics. Seriously, East Tennessee State in Johnson City has more on-campus crime.

The neighborhoods to the south are a different story, especially Normal Station and further west towards Orange Mound. If I were you, I'd be looking at a house or apt in midtown and split the difference.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
The U of M is the safest public university in the state of Tennessee, according to crime statistics. Seriously, East Tennessee State in Johnson City has more on-campus crime.

The neighborhoods to the south are a different story, especially Normal Station and further west towards Orange Mound. If I were you, I'd be looking at a house or apt in midtown and split the difference.
I lived on South Campus (located of Getwell on the edge of Orange Mound) at the Graduate and Student Family complex. Had the scariest incident happen to me while there. Some guy who was illegally staying at the apartments with a girlfriend assaulted a friend of mine while we were walking our babies in strollers around the south campus loop. He had been having a domestic altercation with the girlfriend and almost ran us over with his car speeding after the girlfriend in her car, and my friend shouted at the guy to slow down. I guess since the girlfriend had gotten away he decided to take his anger out on my friend. He slammed the breaks in his car and before we could get away he started yelling at and approving her and paled her so hard it knocked her over. He was a young AA guy and her a young W girl with a baby. Me being with my twins and afraid he was going to start kicking her while she was down, started shouting at him to back off and don't hurt the babies. After telling me he didn't give "a **** about your babies *****," he stomped back to his car and started looking for something, possibly a gun or other weapon. I helped my friend up and told her to run.

She took her baby in the stroller and ran for help. I had a large double stroller and knew if in tried running I wouldn't get far and it was just poss the guy off further if he chased after me, plus I wasn't about to put my back to him. I stepped in front of the stroller and prepared myself for whatever he was planning on doing to me, even if ment giving up my life to protect my babies. He started approaching me from his car still yelling and cursing and me still shouting at him to not hurt me or the babies.

Just then the football team was getting out of practice and started driving by in their cars, the guy saw the cars approaching, decided there were going to be too many witnesses and escaped in his car.

This was in broad daylight in an open area on the main loop of South Campus by the entrance and he was likely going to kill me. I don't care what the statistics say, it is a dangerous place at times because of dangerous people who can come and roam around campus freely since it's am open campus with no security checks. Don't let satistics lull you in to a false sense of security. Just be smart, stay alert, and don't provoke people. My friend was an idiot. I'm lucky I didn't pay for her mistake.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:59 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,085 times
There is crime all over Memphis. Muggings in the suburbs, car thefts in parking lots of expensive stores, etc. I don't think you're more likely to be a victim of crime around the U of M compared to any other "nice-ish" place in the city. FYI I don't consider the South Campus to be the U of M area - it's Orange Mound. Don't live around there. Stay near the actual U of M campus.

Mimosa Gardens is at Poplar and Highland. I've read other people on here say they are okay places to live. I read families live there, many non-students - which is a good thing. If you were deciding between the 2 places you listed it would be a no-brainer to me - pick this one.

As for Brister Square, it looks crappy and run-down. It's set up like a cheap motel, the apartment doors exiting to the outside. It's definitely right on campus though. Right next to the frat houses. Lots of frat boys, lots of noise.

Memphis can be an unsafe city. Keep in mind that most of the time here, cheap = unsafe or run-down.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
There is crime all over Memphis. Muggings in the suburbs, car thefts in parking lots of expensive stores, etc. I don't think you're more likely to be a victim of crime around the U of M compared to any other "nice-ish" place in the city. FYI I don't consider the South Campus to be the U of M area - it's Orange Mound. Don't live around there. Stay near the actual U of M campus.

Mimosa Gardens is at Poplar and Highland. I've read other people on here say they are okay places to live. I read families live there, many non-students - which is a good thing. If you were deciding between the 2 places you listed it would be a no-brainer to me - pick this one.

As for Brister Square, it looks crappy and run-down. It's set up like a cheap motel, the apartment doors exiting to the outside. It's definitely right on campus though. Right next to the frat houses. Lots of frat boys, lots of noise.

Memphis can be an unsafe city. Keep in mind that most of the time here, cheap = unsafe or run-down.
Wow, I didn't know that about Brister Square. Graduate work is harder than undergraduate work. I know that from helping my sister get her degree. A lot of noise will be an issue, especially with my dog. So Mimosa Gardens? I'll be in Memphis in a few weeks to look around. I should be starting my job in late December.

Figure I'll look at Mimosa and Madison Humphreys. Being so close to Shelby Farms has me leaning towards the Madison. However, the Mimosa is closer to campus and for what they charge you get a good amount of space. I didn't know Memphis rent was so affordable.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:30 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
All these apartment complexes. Man, if that's your style, go for it, but there's so many cool neighborhoods and houses in Memphis that it seems a shame to live somewhere like Madison Humphreys. You literally can't get any more corporate.

I lived across the street from this place. It's a really GREAT location:
1 BEDROOM MIDTOWN DUPLEX-925 S. Cox, #1, 3

Also
2 bedroom in Cooper Young

Not sure if this one's pet friendly
Midtown Guesthouse w/ utilities included

This isn't a very pretty location, but it's mostly safe and extremely close to campus
Nice 2 Bedroom Home Located By U Of Memphis!

This is within a 2 minute search on Craigslist... keep in mind that Cooper-Young is a really good "commuting neighborhood" to both downtown and the university. Take Southern Avenue to the university to bypass the Central Avenue or Poplar Avenue traffic. Take Lamar into downtown for an extremely quick commute as well. (Or if your job is in the northern part of downtown, do Lamar to 240.)

Old 10-23-2015, 11:21 AM

Cooper Young is a really engaged neighborhood as well. Big marathon and festival every year. Very cool and animal friendly too.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
All these apartment complexes. Man, if that's your style, go for it, but there's so many cool neighborhoods and houses in Memphis that it seems a shame to live somewhere like Madison Humphreys. You literally can't get any more corporate.

I lived across the street from this place. It's a really GREAT location:
1 BEDROOM MIDTOWN DUPLEX-925 S. Cox, #1, 3

Also
2 bedroom in Cooper Young

Not sure if this one's pet friendly
Midtown Guesthouse w/ utilities included

This isn't a very pretty location, but it's mostly safe and extremely close to campus
Nice 2 Bedroom Home Located By U Of Memphis!

This is within a 2 minute search on Craigslist... keep in mind that Cooper-Young is a really good "commuting neighborhood" to both downtown and the university. Take Southern Avenue to the university to bypass the Central Avenue or Poplar Avenue traffic. Take Lamar into downtown for an extremely quick commute as well. (Or if your job is in the northern part of downtown, do Lamar to 240.)
Hello, even the houses are affordable to rent! I see why people keep telling me Memphis is a good place to move if you want a quality life, but not break the bank!

Old 10-26-2015, 08:11 AM

737 posts, read 1,917,085 times
Keep in mind that rentals usually rent out with a week or two of move-in, and people in midtown often don't advertise their rentals. They get enough foot traffic and word of mouth to simply put a sign in the yard and get someone moving in within a week or two. If you want to pre-rent something out months ahead of time, you may need to stick with a complex.

Also about that place by U of M - there is a train track that goes through the middle of campus. All day, all night, trains. Train horns - loud - all day, all night. I wouldn't want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis