Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,375,420 times

Advertisements

Ahh...a TN law? I've lived in other states where this goes on a lot.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:45 AM

774 posts, read 2,582,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Ahh...a TN law? I've lived in other states where this goes on a lot.
Not a statutory law, but Common Law through the appellate process. When I was a kid, the penal farm was actually self-sufficient.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM

89 posts, read 317,088 times
Mattress on 240...

That's very common. You should drive around in Frayser, Whitehaven, Orange Mound, Raleigh, New Chicago, Hyde Park, Douglas, North or South Memphis, even parts of midtown.

There are many areas, dead end roads, alleys, that have been used as a dump site, and the city never cleans it up. Mountains of tires, old couches, garbage... it's a sight to see.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:12 PM

62 posts, read 159,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
Mattress on 240...

That's very common. You should drive around in Frayser, Whitehaven, Orange Mound, Raleigh, New Chicago, Hyde Park, Douglas, North or South Memphis, even parts of midtown.
Yeah, you pretty much named all of Memphis.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:17 PM

That's what burns me up man!! We have the resources here. This place could be so much better. I mean, a cleaner city would even make the people feel different. That's such a small step to take. Just put all these degenerates to work! Make them do something productive! What does that say about the citizens when they feel they can just dump trash everywhere?! I notice it too on the expressway and I hate it. I don't even throw candy wrappers out the windows while driving.

You know what's funny, Deck? I often times ask people how the mayor has benefited them personally. They never have an answer. They always talk about how he tore down some projects. All he did was shuffle some ghetto folks around. They just stuck them in other areas. Then they mention downtown but they can never tell me how it's changed their (black people's) lives. I asked a woman who voted for the mayor would she vote for Barack Obama. She said she voted in the mayoral election but wasn't voting in the presidential election. She even expressed dislike for Obama. Now, I'm voting for him, not because he's black, but because he's an up from the boot straps type guy to me. And honestly, with me being black, you don't see that quality in many brothers. They play the race card too often. I guess my issue is, if a person votes for the mayor just because he's black, why not apply that same backwards logic to the president. She couldn't give a good reason disliking Obama either. But it's okay to vote for a shady, slick, shifty guy like Herenton. I guess Barack "ain't black enough".

Last edited by Beretta; 03-11-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 02:29 PM

What it says, is that people don't care, and have given up hope on this place. The number of people who chose to keep a self-serving, racist crook in office because he is black and acts like a thug (they can relate to him), are to blame more than anyone. The mayor gives his unqualified cronies raises and creates positions for them, meanwhile, parks and sanitation take budget cuts. Unreal!!

The rose-colored set will say "Yeah but this is his last term". By then a growing number of those who Herenton alienated and offended (good people) will have moved out, and the ignorant masses will still be here wallowing and multiplying. So who do you think is going to replace him? The same kind of person.

Memphis is actually going down in population. The only reason the last survey doesn't reflect this is because he has annexed a larger number of taxpayers than have moved out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by London79 View Post
You know what's funny, Deck? I often times ask people how the mayor has benefited them personally. They never have an answer. They always talk about how he tore down some projects. All he did was shuffle some ghetto folks around. They just stuck them in other areas. Then they mention downtown but they can never tell me how it's changed their (black people's) lives. I asked a woman who voted for the mayor would she vote for Barack Obama. She said she voted in the mayoral election but wasn't voting in the presidential election. She even expressed dislike for Obama. Now, I'm voting for him, not because he's black, but because he's an up from the boot straps type guy to me. And honestly, with me being black, you don't see that quality in many brothers. They play the race card too often. I guess my issue is, if a person votes for the mayor just because he's black, why not apply that same backwards logic to the president. She couldn't give a good reason disliking Obama either. But it's okay to vote for a shady, slick, shifty guy like Herenton. I guess Barack "ain't black enough".
Wow, you hit the nail on the head there.

I got so irritated in this last election, because in my opinion, Carol Chumney was clearly the best candidate for the job. Yet so many white people went with Morris simply based off the logic "this city is predomoninately black, they ain't gonna vote for a white woman!". I tried to rationalize with everyone I heard saying that, that anyone ignorant enough to vote for an official based off their skin color alone, aren't going to vote for Morris anyway. Because they don't see him as one of them. They're going to vote for Willie anyway. Willie is like Master P, and Morris was like Bill Cosby.

Of course it didn't help that The Comical Appeal, ran a cover story the Sunday before the election stating that their endorsement, Herman Morris, was the only one who could statistically win!! What a crock. The corruption and pay-offs in this place run deep.

And yes, I hear that all the time about the Downtown Revitalization. As if that's a remarkable thing to be the only accomplishment in 16+ years. Look around at every big city. That is the trend, and it's happening everywhere.

As far as the presidential candidate, I would like to see Hillary get it myself. It's not that I dislike Obama, but he is a little too left for me. Im pretty much a conservative Democrat.

And that brings up another whole can of worms. I am really in the minority here being a white police officer who is a democrat. In this city, (for the most part) black = democrat, white = republican.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-11-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 03-11-2008, 03:39 PM

21 posts, read 72,232 times
Whew!!!! Guys we get it!!!! Memphis is the pits, it's hopeless, and you really really don't like being here. And it's so bad that all you can do to vent is repeat this message over and over again, only under different topics. And you guys think you're doing people a favor. But if you really step back and read your own comments in context and not emotion, I hope you will see that you honestly sound bitter and mean-spirited in an overly-excessive kind of way. Probably you won't, but I'd be willing to bet that most people reading your messages are wondering what happened to make you guys so unhappy and miserable, because that's exactly how you come across.

I think one point that is missing on this message board is that most people who choose to come to the Memphis area do so because of a pretty good job offer, and they are educated. Like most educated middle/upper class Americans, unless they are semi-suicidal liberals (I kinda am, I guess, cause I live in/love my part of Raleigh) they are not going to live in the aforementioned "blight" areas. Families can find wonderful affordable houses in any of the suburbs, INCLUDING Cordova, and singles can live the life of Riley in Downtown and Midtown. This is the way it is in ALL of America. The undereducated, living month-to-month or elderly people are pretty much lifelong locals (correct me if I'm wrong), stuck in a rut, living in the blighted areas. Unless you have direct business in say, Frayser or North Memphis, the longest you should have to be in that area is how long the traffic light lasts on your way downtown.

Next, yes Memphis has ridiculous crime. Thank goodness bank robberies have gone way down, but now they're just stopping people on the streets. Stupid, ignorant folks. Don't they know we've got some of the best detectives (?) in America! Well according to info provided by our infamous stints on 48 Hours, we pretty much always get our man/woman/child. I guess you guys can put your two cents on that! But you know what? In a sick sort of way, if our murders (which are many) continue on in the manner that they're happening, I won't worry or lose a bit of sleep, cause it's FOR THE MOST PART knuckleheads killing knuckleheads. My sleepness nights will start when/if random attacks/killings of innocents start occuring.

I have no answers for the crime situation. But I do my part, from active neighborhood association participation, to tutoring, and working with former women addicts, to help take a bite out of it. I hope our law enforcement officers on this board are also doing something, you could be the best positive influence of all!

Moderator cut: cut For our message board visitors, to get more background about Memphis you can check out a Moderator cut: cut sites I visit daily:

Newspaper: Commercial Appeal : Memphis News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars, & Information

Last edited by Beretta; 03-11-2008 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: sorry, can't link to blogs, made post TOS compliant, :)

Old 03-11-2008, 03:50 PM

Well, as for Hillary, I can't see how being an ex-president's wife makes you qualified to be president. If it's about qualifications then they're both even to me. And at this point in time, a woman would be a terrible choice for president. Not that she couldn't be. She just shouldn't be. She even gets emotional in debates saying she won't answer questions and all. We need diplomacy and not stubbornness right now. And McCain wants to continue down the same road which will surely lead to this county's demise.

And as for our beloved city, you mentioned in another post about how most of the racism in Memphis comes from black people. I disagree. I believe many of the black communities' problems stem from the black community's dysfunction. I can't see why whites in Memphis would have issues with blacks here. I mean, most of the crime perpetrated by blacks is against blacks.

I didn't vote the last mayoral election. Any person I voted for would have been a vote against another candidate for me. Which in my eyes is truly a wasted vote.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 PM

Moderator cut: Cut Text Memphis is a wonderful beautiful up-and-coming area, with lots to do, a government that cares, and friendly people around every corner.

If you're looking for nice apartments, try the Mclemore and Lauderdale area. It's a hidden gem!

Last edited by Beretta; 03-11-2008 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: cut text to be TOS compliant, thanks :)

Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 AM

340 posts, read 1,314,446 times
I understand where you are coming from Deck, because as a Police Officer and city employee you see the worst this city has to offer on a daily basis. It is bound to make you cynical and jaded, and it clearly has done so. This city and community has many problems, some of which threaten to destroy the Memphis Metro Area as a viable community if not addressed and corrected.

That being said, it isn't exactly a big secret that Memphis has problems. There are lists published regularly putting Memphis at or near the top of cities and metro areas for crime, poverty, obesity, bad schools, sexually transmitted diseases, infant mortality, etc. The TV and print media in the area report on crime daily. Anyone considering a move to Memphis or already living here can find this data easily, and would have done so if they are on this forum.

If you read the comments of those who are considering a move to the area, crime is generally a top concern. Pearlbob and others address the concerns, usually by saying it is bad, but if you live in the better areas, it will not generally affect you beyond occasional neighborhood property crimes. Pearlbob and others then point out some positives of living here and offer advice when asked on dining, schools, and entertainment and recreation options.

You see, many people who aren't criminals or corrupt politicians live in this area for various reasons. Work, family, born and raised here and don't want to leave, whatever. They are just making there way through life, looking for happiness where they can find it. They already know about the bad, they are looking for the good. That is the usefulness of this board for me. That, and warning newcomers about trends in certain areas that may cause them to avoid these areas for housing (declining property values, bad schools, possible annexation by Memphis, etc).

If you lived in a place that people universally consider safe (maybe Salt Lake City or Boise), what you are doing would make some sense. You would be letting people know that despite outward appearances, there are unsafe areas and problems in these towns. Everybody knows that about Memphis. Your friend who came to Memphis to work in the inner city schoool probably thought her goodwill and desire to help would overcome the problems she would face, but she certainly had to know the problems she would face. A useful tool for her would have been a board that said the problems in Memphis are well known, but here are some of the good aspects and some better areas to live in to minimize the negatives and make the life you have to lead more enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis