Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:55 AM

86 posts, read 84,116 times

Advertisements

We're looking into moving down South if I can get a position at a local business in either Olive Branch or Germantown.

We are a family of 3 (2 married adults over 50, one offspring 20== (but delayed due to some special needs), and a dog.

Basically we want a shot at a house and we aren't going to get it up here in the NEast.

I have a lot of experience in shipping/distribution and inventory. My wife is a teacher but hasn't taught in many years (except our son). She can also do a bunch of other things, like customer service and is very friendly! She's have 30 friends in a few days if given the chance while I am more keep to myself.

We're interested in a quiet area not too far from decent supermarkets, a library and of course, affordable real estate and jobs.

I realize there is no ideal so I'm not looking for it. We are not party people and like to just chill out. Nonsmokers, nondrinkers, not church folks but nice when it counts. We don't want to make anywhere like we've been before...not looking to bring "liberal ideas" to shake up the locals, or be "damn yankees."

That being said (pretty generic, right?) can anyone tell me if we'd fit in Olive Branch or Germantown? We don't want to live in a big city like Memphis.

Thank you for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 02:59 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
i don't see any reason why you wouldn't fit in anywhere in the Memphis area...

Just so you'll know...Germantown is one of the areas with the highest priced real estate in the area, so your budget may or may not make that a good choice (you don't mention the price range you're considering). Also, you say you don't want to live in a big city - but you really can't tell where East Memphis ends and Germantown begins unless you look at the signs.

Collierville or Arlington might be other areas you want to consider.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:02 PM

56 posts, read 83,743 times
East Memphis might be the right place for you.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:05 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
You'll fit in fine around the Memphis area. It is a good fit for someone in logistics/inventory, and I see those types of jobs popping up all the time.

If you want to live in Germantown, you might have to buy a cheaper house that's a little bit outdated and fix it up a bit. You'll get your money back someday when you sell, because Germantown will always be appealing. Collierville houses are a little bit newer and sometimes cheaper for the same size, but you will have a longer commute into Memphis for work/concerts/events.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:40 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
Well, first, unless you are coming from a small town, Memphis does not feel all that big in my opinion.

Germantown is going to be more expensive and is more establishment/old money type. Olive Branch/DeSoto County is more neo-conservative evangelical, although both are just fine and you do not have to fit either stereotype to enjoy.

Olive Branch housing will be cheaper and newer. Germantown has a pretty low housing supply, is quite high, and they go fast. You will also spend a lot of money for a house that likely needs lots of updates.

Olive Branch would probably be closer to any work for you if you are in logistics. Most all of the warehouse & distributors are in South Memphis and a lot have moved or are in the process of moving to DeSoto County.

Germantown is going to have higher-end and better shopping, grocery stores and restaurants. Olive Branch is mostly run-of-the-mill chains. Germantown has more character IMO.

I think if you visited you would notice a big difference just driving through each area. TN also does not have any income tax, although property taxes & sales taxes are higher.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:28 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
I'm personally a big fan of Olive Branch or better yet, Hernando, MS. You will have to pay state income tax but the other savings from multiple things more than make up for that. And like another poster said, I'd probably choose Collierville over Germantown, if you want Tennessee.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:42 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,417 times
I’d choose Arlington, Lakeland, or even Bartlett before going to Mississippi. Also, don’t overlook East Memphis and parts of Cordova. Those areas look and feel suburban, rather than urban.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:38 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,982,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSkysGuy View Post
Basically we want a shot at a house and we aren't going to get it up here in the NEast.

I have a lot of experience in shipping/distribution and inventory. My wife is a teacher but hasn't taught in many years (except our son). She can also do a bunch of other things, like customer service and is very friendly! She's have 30 friends in a few days if given the chance while I am more keep to myself.

We're interested in a quiet area not too far from decent supermarkets, a library and of course, affordable real estate and jobs.
Couple of other notes - Olive Branch (and really the whole area of Desoto County) has a ton of warehousing, shipping, etc. All that type stuff. Amazon just announced they are putting a facility in Byhalia (right across the Marshall County line). I don't know exact names of companies, but I know there is a ton of that sort of thing around the Olive Branch Airport, which is one of the busiest general aviation airports in Mississippi. Williams Sonoma and Drake Outfitters have facilities there too. The local governments are actively recruiting 'manufacturing technology' around the 55/269 corridor.

Real estate will certainly be affordable in that area. You'll have plenty of options. Schools are great too and they are constantly building new ones, your wife should be able to find a job.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:38 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I have a friend who moved from TN to MS to be closer to her doctors. She did take into account the income tax but didn't research car registration and use tax. She was hit with a huge "registration fee" and didn't understand that it was both registration and use tax. She had just purchased a new mini-van with all the bells and whistles and was hit with a $3K use tax (or so she said). This was just last year and when I informed her that, although the use tax decreases every year, it is a yearly tax. Some cities/counties in TN have something called a wheel-tax. It varies by year and by location - most places in SW TN have one but it's generally under $50 payable with registration - under $50 (I don't remember exactly).

You should also note that TN has a higher (not by a whole lot) income average and fewer residents on subsidies.

We moved from SI (the forgotten borough of NYC) to southwest TN. Prior to that I lived in Providence, RI and northern NJ. There are pluses and minuses to moving to Tennessee - forget good bagels and pizza. We have spent 6 years with no good cheesecake and just recently Junior's has put its cheesecakes (2 varieties) in the Kroger supermarkets.

We have 4 acres and a small house and no neighbors. We are retired so jobs were not important to us but medical care is. Unfortunately, the local hospital was closed about 2 years ago and there is no such thing as a free-standing emergency room open 24 hrs.

Moving to the Memphis area will help in that it's a city - nothing close to the cities of the northeast, but a city none-the-less. There is mass-transit but don't expect it 24/7 - and I'm pretty sure there are taxis in Memphis/Olive Branch areas. Owning a car is essential.

Just a few things to consider when you decide whether to live north or south of the 2-state border.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:23 PM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
The quality of life in Olive Branch, Southaven, and Hernando is extremely high. The area is thriving and manages to be diverse, affordable, safe, and growing. It's also quite a large area with a lot of options. There are definitely all housing types but compared to Memphis and Shelby County, there tend to be far more people living on larger lots as well as acreage in many cases. Hernando is a real town with a town square which is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis