Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2020, 07:54 AM

455 posts, read 1,558,757 times

Advertisements

Every now and then there are suggestions kicked about for a new football stadium being built for the University of Memphis. You may see these if you follow sports chat boards. And possible locations are mentioned along with the obvious objections.

But one fairly logical alternative seems to never get mentioned. And it is one that seems, on its face, could be highly practical. With relative minimal expense.

The Liberty Bowl.

Do what's necessary to have it deeded over to the U of M (real estate lawyers call that a Quit Claim Deed). Or at least sell it to the school at some very reduced and attractive price.

Now, before rejecting this idea out of hand, do at least think it over.

It has really been the home of Tiger football for how many years now? And really, how far is it from the main campus? How long does it take to drive to it from the campus? Is it five or ten minutes away? You can get there in about the time it'd take to get to a true "on campus" stadium. They could easily do bus shuttles to it. In fact you could ride a bike to it from the school. It's almost close enough to walk to. And it's certainly big enough and has plenty of life left in it. And plenty of parking space. No need to tear up any adjoining neighborhoods for new parking lots as with anything actually part of or next to the main campus.

And this seems a most excellent time to do a deal. Considering the "low tide" we're at with interest in sports all the way around due to the pandemic. Who knows. Maybe you could get it for a song now, or at least on the cheap. They seem to be doing away with much or most of that whole ex-fairgrounds complex anyway.

And so. Any takers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 09:51 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,760 times
I don't see any benefit for either Memphis or the university in selling the Liberty Bowl to the university, especially now that the city is seriously working towards redeveloping the land around the stadium.

Old 09-07-2020, 09:19 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,016 times
Something else for the UofM to spend money on, other than educating students for reasonable tuition? No thanks.

Building maintenance, utilities, and other costs really add up.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:25 AM

"I don't see any benefit for either Memphis or the university in selling the Liberty Bowl"

I didn't say "sell". I meant "give". That's what a Quit Claim Deed is.

The whole point of this idea for the Liberty Bowl would be the many years of fans' calls for and apparent yearning for the program to have its "own stadium". Otherwise, it'd be of no interest.

It also presupposes that the last thing the school or taxpayers could or should be on the hook for is a new stadium costing what, somewhere north of $500M?

And so. If the city deems the Liberty Bowl of not that great a revenue resource, why not? Why not just go ahead and deed it over to the school. And forget a price tag.

The NFL is never coming here, so it's not needed for that. And it could still be used for a bowl game.

Seems like a cost effective way to solve an old, old problem and to scratch what's been an itch for many fans...the idea is about what's expedient in other words.

But with about 5K fans there recently instead of what would otherwise have probably been 25 or 30K, I guess it's the proverbial worrying about nothing...

Old 09-11-2020, 03:15 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,807 times
It may be cost effective for the city, but not for the university considering the upkeep for the stadium for the entire year just to play a few games in the fall...

Old 09-12-2020, 11:25 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,016 times
I noticed some donors on social media saying they will no longer donate to the UofM because of the story below. Watching sports is supposed to be a break from politics and the stresses of life, so I'm not sure why the UofM would put an emblem on their helmet that's quickly becoming associated with rioting and being anti-police.

Memphis football will have 'BLM' helmet sticker this season
https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ld/5352868002/

Old 09-12-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I noticed some donors on social media saying they will no longer donate to the UofM because of the story below. Watching sports is supposed to be a break from politics and the stresses of life, so I'm not sure why the UofM would put an emblem on their helmet that's quickly becoming associated with rioting and being anti-police.

Memphis football will have 'BLM' helmet sticker this season
https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ld/5352868002/
Regarding the helmet sticker thing, I saw parts of the recent game with Arky St on TV and I did look at the helmets because I'd heard of this, but honestly if they were there, I couldn't see that. They might have just been small or something. It didn't look big and obvious.

Is that to be a permanent feature I wonder.

Between political issues and virus issues this football season may be the most difficult in living memory...

Old 04-16-2021, 09:36 AM

20 posts, read 34,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
I don't see any benefit for either Memphis or the university in selling the Liberty Bowl to the university, especially now that the city is seriously working towards redeveloping the land around the stadium.
I 100% agree. I do know they are buying land next to the school and have been doing so for years, when my ex worked there they were talking about a stadium where the tennis courts are...

But definitely a waste of money to build or acquire a football stadium in 2021.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:24 PM

577 posts, read 561,149 times
I've always thought that the best location for a stadium for Memphis would be downtown near Fed Ex Forum or somewhere close to Beale Street and South Main area.

To me U of M's best asset is the city of Memphis itself, and my feeling is that people would have great pride in a beautiful stadium of the right size in the heart of downtown Memphis.

Downtown Memphis is pretty cool these days with the new park by the river, the bridge, Harbor Town, the South Main district and so much more. A cool-looking stadium would probably increase support for Memphis and would be yet another source of pride for the city if designed well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: