Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2022, 06:01 PM

42 posts, read 129,632 times

Advertisements

I started a post in the general Tennessee area about out anniversary trip next year. We're planning on 3 nights in Memphis. We usually stay at Holiday Inns wherever we go but are open to any nice place or unique places to stay. The Hotel Indigo looks like different offering than the standard Holiday Inn fare and I'm assuming the downtown area will be full of places to see and eat at. What can you tell me about the hotel and the downtown area? Safe to walk in the early evening? Social life? Outdoor dining?

If you have any other thoughts on places to stay or must see places to go, I'm all ears. Hidden local gems for restaurants too. We're amateur foodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 11:48 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,235,568 times
If it fits your budget, look at the Peabody. Might as well stay at the OG classy joint!

One of my favorite barbecue spots is Rendezvous. Lots of folks give it a hard time, but in my years in Memphis it was consistently the best food and most fun experience.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:56 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,403,751 times
Two restaurants we always eat at when in Memphis are Mcewen’s and Gus’s fried chicken. We have stayed all over downtown, but always like the residence inn on Monroe. One block from Peabody and next door to Mcewens.

Old 11-29-2022, 11:08 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,235,568 times
You could also stay at The Memphian if you want a Midtown experience.

https://www.thememphian.com/

Next door to Hattiloo Theater, Circuit Playhouse, Playhouse on the Square, Theaterworks, and a fun iteration of Malco Studio on the Square (cinema). Overton Square restaurants (Second Line, Boscos, Lafayette's, etc.) are great fun, too.

A couple miles (?) further south is Cooper-Young, another fun neighborhood worth a lunch or dinner and quick walk.

If you are staying downtown, I would just say have a general planned idea of what you want to do. It isn't necessarily the kind of city you just walk around and stumble into things to do downtown, but there are a LOT of great experiences if you know where you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis