Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,601 times

Advertisements

I was n a wreck over the weekend the lady had no ins and she was drunk.tore my car up and aint evan called to check on me or my cu that was n the car.and i had to get 28 stiches n the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 PM

278 posts, read 993,097 times
I'm so tired of people not having insurance. But they will spend money on rims, GPS, sound systems, etc. It really shows where their priorities are. Atleast get liability!

Old 11-26-2010, 02:48 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
This is a problem all over the country. IN the southwest it's partly an issue because of the illegals. How do you buy insurance when you don't even have a license, a legally registered car, etc. Some communties in the SW US have started to impound cars whose drivers can't show insurance.

Memphis police are no longer proactive according to a retired officer I know. They should be enforcing traffic laws and catching this every day. YOu should have to show insurance to get your plate sticker or renew your DL.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,156 times
I remember watching an episode of Police Women of Memphis where the police officer was called to the scene because of an apparent "road rage" incident. It turned out that neither of the people involved had car insurance. All the officer did was issue each of them a citation for driving without insurance. They both were able to drive their cars away from the scene. These individuals probably threw the citation away as soon as they got to their destination and I am pretty sure neither went to get insurance. As long as the city policy allows people to drive around uninsured with no repercussions nothing will change.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
I remember watching an episode of Police Women of Memphis where the police officer was called to the scene because of an apparent "road rage" incident. It turned out that neither of the people involved had car insurance. All the officer did was issue each of them a citation for driving without insurance. They both were able to drive their cars away from the scene. These individuals probably threw the citation away as soon as they got to their destination and I am pretty sure neither went to get insurance. As long as the city policy allows people to drive around uninsured with no repercussions nothing will change.
If you get an insurance ticket and don't prove (when you pay the ticket or go to court) you had insurance at the time the ticket was written, your license is suspended.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:36 PM

845 posts, read 2,542,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
If you get an insurance ticket and don't prove (when you pay the ticket or go to court) you had insurance at the time the ticket was written, your license is suspended.

This is good to know, but does it really deter people from driving uninsured? I think they will just drive around until they get stopped again and then act surprised that their license is suspended. Once they do get stopped again and cited for the suspended license will they be taken to jail or have the car confiscated?

Last edited by Tigertate; 11-29-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertate View Post
This is good to know, but does it really deter people from driving uninsured? I think they will just drive around until they get stopped again and then act surprised that their license is suspended. Once they do get stopped again and cited for the suspended license will they be taken to jail or have the car confiscated?
Your car won't be seized for driving on a suspended license or not having insurance. Many people don't realize that their license could be suspended due to insurance tickets, and if they don't update their address online when they move so the notice can be sent to their house, they may not figure it out until they are stopped. By then it is too late and they have a court date. If your license is suspended, the officer keeps your drivers license.
Then there are the drivers who simply don't care and keep driving on a suspended license, collecting charges. When you ask for their license, they give you the run around with "awww I left it at home but here's my social" or "there might be something on my record but I got dat fixed already". Too bad brotha'.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
Tennessee Auto Insurance Requirements - Insurance Articles and RSS Feeds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis