Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 44,047 times

Advertisements

OK, so here's something that I don't get: in the 2007 FBI report (I think it's called the UCR) for cities over 500,000, Memphis is #2 on violent crimes per capita list and Nashville is #4. So what gives? Why is the psychological difference between Memphis and Nashville crime so big when the difference in numbers (and I hate to turn real violence to real people into a numbers thing, but oh well, I did) is much smaller?

But please, please; no emotional soapboxing or pulpiting about how Memphis gets beaten up needlessly, why Nashville should be beaten up more, etc. I know I can't stop you, but I'm just askin' ...

We're currently thinking of relocating to Memphis, so I'm just trying to understand if there is a rational explanation - such as geography and demographics being more concentrated in Memphis so the crime is more "on top" of you; you know, stuff like that.

Listen, I get that crime is an issue everyone, but I'm trying to understand why all the need in Memphis for security guards cruising up and through neighborhoods, in front of grocery store entrances, in parking lots, etc. At some point it's more than just fearmongering and is in fact something real. No? Or is the difference between #2 and #4 on that list really that huge in practical real life terms? Again, please, let's try to keep the emotional and tough guy "noise" to a minimum.

Many thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 03:41 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
I'm going to play it straight with you, and I may get removed, but here goes --

Memphis and Nashville have similar crime rates. Yet the perception is much worse in Memphis. Why? Memphis has many, many more black people. Race and perception of crime go hand in hand. Visit the various boards on this site, and you'll see an interesting common thread that links majority black cities. Look at the discussion threads about Jackson MS, Birmingham AL, etc., and you'll see similar discussions.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Memphis crime is all over the city, whereas in many cities, crime tends to be bad in one particular area (such as "the south side" or something like that) That might be a difference, I am not sure.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 PM

149 posts, read 478,368 times
Can I have a link please. Where did you get these stats?

Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,432 times
I grew up in Memphis...now live in Nashville...yes we have our share of crime here in Nashville but it's pretty easy to stay away from it-in Memphis it seems to be all over. The thing I hated most about Memphis is the property crime-I swear the crooks there will steal anything not nailed down-and will use a pry bar on anything that is! Nashville might have a close/similar violent crime rate(I don't really see it on a daily basis though-easy to stay away from mostly), but I don't have to worry about my stuff being stolen in Nashville ANYWHERE NEAR as much as I did when in Memphis. There are thieves EVERYWHERE around Memphis, it's ridiculous!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe123safi View Post
Can I have a link please. Where did you get these stats?
Here you go; right on the FBI's website:

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Uniform Crime Reports

The FBI provides the raw data. Tons of publications then go off that data and rank them. The one I mentioned in violent crimes per capita, meaning they calculate the rate of incidents per 100,000 of the population. And, yes, all the ranking publications/articles match up with the FBI's raw data.

I'm really not liking the postings on this thread which say that crime - of whatever nature - is rampant throughout Memphis. I know you can't form an opinion based on just several forum posts, but it does start to poke some holes in the idea that crime is usually perpetrated by criminals on other criminals, doesn't it? Hmmmmm ...

Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 AM

Like has been said, there are bad areas all over town, which is why crime seems to be so spread out here. It is definitely 100x worse in certain areas though. Also unlike Nashville, Memphis is not as spread out. Therefore we are packed in close, which means crime spreads more easily from one area to another.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking there's a lot of truth in Pearlbob's comment about being packed in tight and strumpeace's thoughts on perception and the race card being way more real than reality.

Granted, I've only spent several weekends in Memphis looking at homes, but my perception wasn't even close to what gets said on this forum about everything that's not nailed down gets stolen, muggings, carjackings, etc. I'm halfway expecting to see a post about bonfires in the middle of Belle Meade streets and St Mary's being torched to the ground. Good lord, it all starts to sound like that movie Escape From New York with Kurt Russell.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:22 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Memphis crime is all over the city, whereas in many cities, crime tends to be bad in one particular area (such as "the south side" or something like that) That might be a difference, I am not sure.
Exactly. We don't have one particular "bad side" like some cities. Our north side and our south side are bad.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:24 PM

It gets blown way out of proportion on here and on the news. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. that being said, you are correct - one of the deals of living in the city is that you have to realize you might be living within walking distance to some pretty bad areas. That does not mean that there are gang shoot outs and drug deals going on in every neighborhood, around million dollar homes. But, it does mean crime can leak into the good areas easier - usually petty crime. Just have to watch out and be careful. A lot of major cities are like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis