Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 04:49 PM

16 posts, read 69,228 times

Advertisements

Hello. I had a wreck in April and i did not had insurance at that time. Since it was my fault i got a ticket from the officer. I went to the court with insurance and had to pay the court fees.

Now the adjuster called me in May and send me a letter that my estimate for the total damage is $3492.00 and they can settle it if i pay lump sum in $3000. I asked the adjuster that i need a proof of the invoice that the amount requested is the original amount the insurance paid to fix the person car i hit. Then again he sent me an insurance letter just typed that this is the total amount i owe. I called the adjuster again and he said that he will send me the invoice ASAP. 3 months passes and i received a call again from a different adjuster claiming that i ower $5901.00 in damages. When i asked her that in the previous letter the amount was 3492 and now you are telling me that the amount is $5901 why ?. She stated that the car was not running good and they had to additional fix. I asked her again to send me an invoice but she never did and all i received was just a letter type of the damages cost from the body shop .

Question :-
1) Why the amount jumped from $3452 to 5901 ?.
2) Why the adjuster is not giving me a body shop invoice ?
3) She keeps threatened me about collection agency, etc. My question is that when i received my first letter it stated that the balance is $3452 and now the balance is 5901. Why should i pay more ? and what should i do in this circumstances ?

Thanks for all your support and waiting for a reply very anxiously. If worst senario comes they can call the collection agency and we can go to court then. I already agreed that i will pay $150 every month with the first adjuster but this new adjuster is just too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 05:20 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan786 View Post
Hello. I had a wreck in April and i did not had insurance at that time. Since it was my fault i got a ticket from the officer. I went to the court with insurance and had to pay the court fees.

Now the adjuster called me in May and send me a letter that my estimate for the total damage is $3492.00 and they can settle it if i pay lump sum in $3000. I asked the adjuster that i need a proof of the invoice that the amount requested is the original amount the insurance paid to fix the person car i hit. Then again he sent me an insurance letter just typed that this is the total amount i owe. I called the adjuster again and he said that he will send me the invoice ASAP. 3 months passes and i received a call again from a different adjuster claiming that i ower $5901.00 in damages. When i asked her that in the previous letter the amount was 3492 and now you are telling me that the amount is $5901 why ?. She stated that the car was not running good and they had to additional fix. I asked her again to send me an invoice but she never did and all i received was just a letter type of the damages cost from the body shop .

Question :-
1) Why the amount jumped from $3452 to 5901 ?.
2) Why the adjuster is not giving me a body shop invoice ?
3) She keeps threatened me about collection agency, etc. My question is that when i received my first letter it stated that the balance is $3452 and now the balance is 5901. Why should i pay more ? and what should i do in this circumstances ?

Thanks for all your support and waiting for a reply very anxiously. If worst senario comes they can call the collection agency and we can go to court then. I already agreed that i will pay $150 every month with the first adjuster but this new adjuster is just too much.

Here's what you need to do. Start socking away as much cash as you can. Tell them you will start making $50 payments towards the $3492.
I would most definetely want to see some invoices, however $3500-$5,000 is still very cheap for an accident in this day and age.

Now what you're gonna need to do is keep making the $50 payments while at the same time saving as much as you can each month. By the time you have $2,000 saved up you should have probally made 12-16 payments ($600-$800) When you have the $2,000 ready call and make them a 1 time offer to settle the case in full(write this also on the check you send)

They can have your license revoked if they want to. But really all they want is "SOME" money. Good Luck

Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 PM

Thanks for your reply. As long as you pay the amount regardless 10 dollar or 20 dollar every month they cannot revoke your license as i came to know from couple of other people who were in this situation before.

I hate to take off from work, etc and go to court but i have a legit question requesting a real body shop invoice. I already agreed paying $150 a month but it does not make any sense to pay $5901 when originally in my first letter it stated that the total balance is $3452. I was trying to see if anyone over here can give me some advice on whether i have the right to object or not.

Thanks alot for your response :--)

Old 10-12-2009, 05:54 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,252 times
If you choose to operate a motor vehicle without insurance, you take the chance that you will have to pay a big bill or get sued if you don't pay the big bill. I suppose you can go to court and argue your case, but if the end result may be you lose your license and get your wages garnished. It seems to me your best bet is to either get an attorney and hope they charge you less than the $2500 difference in the estimates or work out some kind of agreement in writing that is acceptable to the other party.

That being said, folks driving around this town without insurance or the means to pay for the damage they do in accidents is rampant and reprehensible. It contributes to the "third world/wild west" feel of Memphis, and is just another burden the irresponsible impose on those who are responsible. I for one feel like suspending a license isn't sufficient punishment for leaving someone else (either the other driver or their insurance company....and ultimately the rest of us through increased rates to cover your decision to forgo insurance) to pay your obligations because you couldn't be bothered to insure your vehicle. Pauper's prison doesn't seem an unreasonable solution to me.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan786 View Post
Thanks for your reply. As long as you pay the amount regardless 10 dollar or 20 dollar every month they cannot revoke your license as i came to know from couple of other people who were in this situation before.

I hate to take off from work, etc and go to court but i have a legit question requesting a real body shop invoice. I already agreed paying $150 a month but it does not make any sense to pay $5901 when originally in my first letter it stated that the total balance is $3452. I was trying to see if anyone over here can give me some advice on whether i have the right to object or not.

Thanks alot for your response :--)

Your right, as long as your making some kinda effort to pay they probally want do anything. They could however sell you bad debt to a third party who will then be all over you. They will charge around 35% interest, so maybe around year 2066 you will have this debt settled once and for all

Yea, you also have aright to object in court, but you'll loose. You were at fault, you had no insurance, insurance company paid the claim. If a third party buys this debt, it will immediately become a $10,000 debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
If you choose to operate a motor vehicle without insurance, you take the chance that you will have to pay a big bill or get sued if you don't pay the big bill. I suppose you can go to court and argue your case, but if the end result may be you lose your license and get your wages garnished. It seems to me your best bet is to either get an attorney and hope they charge you less than the $2500 difference in the estimates or work out some kind of agreement in writing that is acceptable to the other party.

That being said, folks driving around this town without insurance or the means to pay for the damage they do in accidents is rampant and reprehensible. It contributes to the "third world/wild west" feel of Memphis, and is just another burden the irresponsible impose on those who are responsible. I for one feel like suspending a license isn't sufficient punishment for leaving someone else (either the other driver or their insurance company....and ultimately the rest of us through increased rates to cover your decision to forgo insurance) to pay your obligations because you couldn't be bothered to insure your vehicle. Pauper's prison doesn't seem an unreasonable solution to me.

Would you really like seeing everyone with out insurance have to do hard time if thet were involved in a fender bender? Wow....
I've been involved in 2 minor fender benders over the past 5 years. I was not at fault either time. In neither case did the other party have insurance and all I carry is liability. So I was fooked twice, but still wouldn't want to see someone do prison time for it.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Thanks 901. I think i will make a final call tomorrow and ask her last time that what was the reason you raised up the price ?. If she keep saying stuff then good luck. I will not pay more than $50. if she ask me that previously i said i will pay $150 and now $50? then my answer will be that i am broke and i cannot do anything.

I will let you know the result tomorrow of the talk. But it is so wiered that i called progressive my current insurance and asked one of the adjuster that do you guys provide Invoices through the body shop if someone wrecks your car ? and their answer was yes they Do. Just say someone hit your car at night while you were sleeping and then you claim the money through insurance.
The first thing what an insurance company does is look at the car and then will ask you if you have any preference of fixing it from your body shop. Once you agreed then you send the body shop invoice to the insurance company so they can give you the check.

This is what i was also doing exactly and i know that the insurance company ismaking more money of what they paid on the car. I've seen my friends going to the court and paying $30 for almost 11 years and still paying. Like i said i can still go to court and whatever decision judge takes at that point i had to agree. There is no way in the world he/she can revoke the liscense. As long as you are paying no matter how much that is what they are concern about. That is why in the current letter the total amount was 5901 and they asked me to settle lump sum in $4200. Woah ! that is 1700 difference.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:43 PM

Yea the whole deal really sucks and I can understand your frustration but whatcha gonna do?

Hang on to that liability policy, just think if someone would have said they were injured. They my as well shoot you at that point

Old 10-12-2009, 06:44 PM

[quote=UofMGrad92;11159859]If you choose to operate a motor vehicle without insurance, you take the chance that you will have to pay a big bill or get sued if you don't pay the big bill. I suppose you can go to court and argue your case, but if the end result may be you lose your license and get your wages garnished. It seems to me your best bet is to either get an attorney and hope they charge you less than the $2500 difference in the estimates or work out some kind of agreement in writing that is acceptable to the other party.
[quote]

I never said i will not pay. I was the one who made the mistake and i will definitely pay. But i am sure it will not be the full amount.

Quote:
Getting prison time is just irrelevant and i have not heard any case that has occured in memphis. There are sometime when you are a student and cannot afford an insurance or for whatever reason. Once you make money then you get one. Unfortunately it was the same case with me but i got unlucky and had a wreck.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Yea the whole deal really sucks and I can understand your frustration but whatcha gonna do?

Hang on to that liability policy, just think if someone would have said they were injured. They my as well shoot you at that point
True. Let's see what i can do tomorrow. If it is 5901 then let it be and i will start paying $50. I will buy one xbox game every month instead of 2 :P

Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 AM

70 posts, read 314,121 times
I think you are doing the right thing in that you are totally taking full on responsibility for your actions, alan786.

What I do not understand is that the amount you owe jumped around a bit, there.

You need to try your best to figure out a proper way to have the 3k amount itemized or something. There is a big difference between 3k and 5k. It is kinda like, before you commit to paying anything off formally, you really need to know what you are paying for to the penny.

Quote:
If you have written proof up the wazoo about the 3k amount, then you have every right to at least attempt to object to the 5k amount.

Therefore, the person you hit as well as the insurance folks and the courts should not try to play you for a dupe. They all need to come together and present an itemized statement for the 3k and then you need to pay it off like how (901) said.

The way I see it. You are taking responsibility for your actions nicely. And, I know I might sound like someone's granny or something, but...I think you learned your lesson about driving with no insurance. So, I cannot hate on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis