Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:07 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,349,717 times

Advertisements

isn't there a group that does a mixer-type deal between men and women, you meet as many of the opposite sex during a designated time period, and then you pick out your top three for a future date. i don't know what it costs, but the reviews are pretty good on the activity. you might wish to try it. honestly, the meat department seems to be where most girls strike up conversation w/ me. there is something about picking out that perfect cut of meat for a lady, seeing her on the fly a few weeks later, and having her tell you how much she enjoyed the chops (i usually recommend you start w/ a standing rib loin or some lamb chops), you thank her for the feedback, invite for a glass of wine or a coffee, and you are on your first date. good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 08:36 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,340,096 times
Are you talking about a Cupid-style speed dating thing?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,387,502 times
The restaurant/bar South of Beale does speed dating events like that. Of course, that's primarily for meeting a mate, not a group of friends to hang out with. But, I'm sure you could meet plenty of people, male and female, and become friends. Sort of defeats the purpose of the "dating" part of the event tho

Old 05-06-2010, 03:00 PM

173 posts, read 323,932 times
word of warning to you guys considering speed dating....i don't know if the same people are operating it, but when i was an undergrad i knew them. they'd PAY me, plus free appitizers and drinks, to go to their speed dating things. they needed "pretty girls" to 'flesh it out'. i was supposed to act like i was actually interested and there because i wanted to be. both the people running it knew me, knew the man i was dating seriously at the time, and saw nothing wrong with paying a few pretty girls to 'pretend'. i never felt too bad about it, except one event.... not even one of the guys were interested in any of the real women there... it works by if BOTH parties tell the 'match makers' they are interested, then both parties can get the other's contact info. if both parties aren't interested, tough cookies. the event i worked where me and the other decoy got all the hits and the real chicks got nothing made me feel bad...until i was handed my cash for the night. (and yes, the guy i was dating at the time knew all about it. they owners were smart enough to initially ask me in front of him about the gig.) my cover was almost blown once, too...a guy i knew who'd been trying to get to know me better for well over a year happened to have shown up to one of those things and the first thing out of his mouth was "you and Mr. Army split up??? why didn't you call me instead of resorting to this for a date????!!?!"...i had to play along until he called our apartment and i told him that me and mr army had, uh, reconciled.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:32 PM

6 posts, read 16,295 times
Hi all,

I thought I'd post to this thread... I'm actually relieved to hear about this thread... even if it does not bring all good news! I've learned from my experience is that no matter where you live, it is up to you and your friends to make or break a place! Anyhow, I'm relieved because it seems like there are similar minds writing here. I just moved to Memphis, and am looking for cool new folks to hang out with and do fun stuff with. PM me!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:55 PM

254 posts, read 415,219 times
Hex, if you don't mind my asking, what sort of business do you run?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 AM

173 posts, read 323,932 times
nothing exciting! i deal with numbers and the irs. I've got a bookkeeping service for small business. I specifically target really little guys. They need good books, too, but often try to do it themselves or spend lots of $$$ on a CPA. I offer quality service without the poplar coridor office building price tag! My biggest competition isn't from CPA firms or other bookkeepers. It is from software like Quickbooks. No doubt anyone running their business could sit down and eventually get Quickbooks to work...However, at the end of the year, my quickbooks people often bring me p&L's created by quick books that make very little sense. You really need a decent understanding of bookkeeping to make Quickbooks work for you. I try to explain it like this....You might be the most talented and well trained hair stylist or mechanic in the city..so shouldn't you be focusing on hair/cars and let me take care of your paper work since that is what I'm best at? I am amazed by how many customers I work with that buy into the quickbooks ads, use it for a quarter or two, and then call me because their financials are all screwy. =( let the bookkeeper keep the books, you run your business!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis