Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 05:19 PM

12 posts, read 19,214 times

Advertisements

Hi all

is there a burlesque scene in Memphis ( to watch not to be part of )

cheers
littlel81 :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 PM

84 posts, read 267,865 times
There's the Memphis Belles. I've never seen them (or done burlesque), but I would love to try it once!

Old 04-12-2010, 03:05 PM

12 posts, read 19,214 times
Do they tour or perform in a certain venue?

Old 04-16-2010, 09:24 AM

173 posts, read 323,256 times
a google of memphis belles burlesque will find you their myspace page. i thought they were great until they decided to start taking any old chick...some of the ones they've added, i'd pay them to keep their clothes on.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:57 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,163 times
Let's all have a moment of silence for Danny's and the Mount Moriah Performing Arts Center. I don't know if what they offered was burlesque, but it was fun.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 AM

173 posts, read 323,256 times
lol uofm grad...but no..burlesque girls don't get fully naked, and they don't take dollar tips from the stage...it's like stripping with out the tips...they take off everything but their g-strings and nipple pasties...some of them get offended when you call them strippers...but i'm like, yeah, well, at least strippers are smart enough to take some dollar bills for removal of their top!
burlesque is the fore runner to strippers...sort of a vaudeville throw back..think gypsy rose lee. in real cities, the burlesque troops have a little comedy, a little stunts (fire breathing, juggling, sword swallowing), a few funny numbers (girl "accidently" loses her costuming.), and some va-va-va-voom stripping numbers...such as the famous 'fan dance'. it is a retro thing...my great great grandfather would have attended an orginal burlesque show, if my great great grandmother didn't beat him with a bible on the way out the door.
however, the memphis troops i've seen are nothing like the burlesque shows i've seen in bigger cities. ours are some sort of roller derby/skinhead gang's girlfriends outfit...and recently it seems they've bitten into that "every woman is beautiful" thing and let some very, uh..., er, non-traditionally attractive ladies join the troops....

i miss the performing arts center on mt. moriah. it is currently a tote the note car lot...i don't believe they have access to the inside of the building. seriously looks like a car dealer is 'squatting' the space. i wish i knew if the city or feds owned the land since they forcably shut it down.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:13 AM

50 posts, read 260,510 times
I saw Crazy Horse in Vegas in December, and then I was just in Paris (and Rome) a few weeks ago. Moulin Rouge was much better.
I'd be shocked to find out that there was anything in Memphis even remotely close to as classy and entertaining as either of those two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: