Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:20 PM

32 posts, read 118,662 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to transfer with my job from Miami, Fl. to Memphis.
I would be working downtown at the Memphis Main Post Office on south 3rd ave. A couple of years ago we took a trip to the area. We didn't really like the area as we felt it would not be a safe area to live.
We did look around in Bartlett and Southaven, MS.
We felt safe in those areas and figured if I ever got the job transfer that's where we would settle down at.

Well now its getting very close for the job transfer to take place and now my wife is reluctant to move. She thinks if we settle down in Southaven or Bartlett that there won't be much to do there and would have to go to Memphis for any "excitement". Her idea of "excitement" is going out to dinner, maybe going to the mall, movies, and just being around people. She doesn't want to feel like she's in a "sleepy" kind of town. She doesn't want to be in the city either but likes that city feel with things to do.

My wife also would be applying to nursing school and possibly would continue to work. She worked at Hyatt here in a town north of Miami and might work at the one in Memphis. But there's a problem; she's scared of Memphis because of all the crime that she's heard about in the city. I told her that there are places in Miami that are scary too and we just have to learn the areas that are O.K. to visit.

I believe that a large suburb would be the best place for us to settle down in where there are alot of activities to do and if we ever want to experience Memphis downtown life then hopefully there are safe areas in the city to do things.

So are Bartlett and/or Southaven those type of towns that are large enough to keep us occupied? Any other safe areas that can be recommended?

Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellen View Post
I have an opportunity to transfer with my job from Miami, Fl. to Memphis.
I would be working downtown at the Memphis Main Post Office on south 3rd ave. A couple of years ago we took a trip to the area. We didn't really like the area as we felt it would not be a safe area to live.
We did look around in Bartlett and Southaven, MS.
We felt safe in those areas and figured if I ever got the job transfer that's where we would settle down at.

Well now its getting very close for the job transfer to take place and now my wife is reluctant to move. She thinks if we settle down in Southaven or Bartlett that there won't be much to do there and would have to go to Memphis for any "excitement". Her idea of "excitement" is going out to dinner, maybe going to the mall, movies, and just being around people. She doesn't want to feel like she's in a "sleepy" kind of town. She doesn't want to be in the city either but likes that city feel with things to do.

My wife also would be applying to nursing school and possibly would continue to work. She worked at Hyatt here in a town north of Miami and might work at the one in Memphis. But there's a problem; she's scared of Memphis because of all the crime that she's heard about in the city. I told her that there are places in Miami that are scary too and we just have to learn the areas that are O.K. to visit.

I believe that a large suburb would be the best place for us to settle down in where there are alot of activities to do and if we ever want to experience Memphis downtown life then hopefully there are safe areas in the city to do things.

So are Bartlett and/or Southaven those type of towns that are large enough to keep us occupied? Any other safe areas that can be recommended?

Thanks for any replies.
i'd say, from reading your first two or three lines, and, after considering the fact that you have had a year to seriously think about it, that you should stay where you are or choose another area. it is unrealistic to make a wish list in a large metropolitan area such as yours. it sounds as if you should be eating xanax and singing "out of the ivory palaces." surburbia can provided decent housing---cookie cutter and otherwise, targets, walmart, and pharmacies. you'll find restaurants and movie theaters and pretty much everything that you have in your current state. it sounds as if money for housing might be a bit limited. bartlett is a nice surburb, as is southaven. in one, you live in tn, and in the other, you live in ms, as i am sure you already know. arlington, collierville, atoka, munford, millington, lakeland, marion, hernando, on and on are communities that are available; however, none are free from crime, nor will they guarantee such.

basically, i think you are just not ready to leave your area, but smoke screening the issue by displacing the blame on crime in the area isn't going to make for a happy relocation. stay where you are until you get something that gives you a sense of safety. the operative word "sense", because there are no guarantees on safety anywhere. i've lost two relatives to murder---one in houston, after living there 9 months as a newlywed, and one in nashville, after being reared there.

nevertheless, best wishes on your future. one more thing, i would feel ten times safer in a city than i would working for the u.s. postal service.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
About the only type of entertainments that can't be found outside of downtown are some sporting events, concerts, and some of the festivals.
The day to day things such as shopping, dining, movies, theatre, and a lot of the smaller festivals can all be found in the burbs or in the east Memphis area, which is safe.

Nearly the entire stretch of Germantown Parkway is shopping for miles and miles and miles, only broken up by a few professional areas maybe a few residential areas.
memphis - Google Maps
memphis - Google Maps
There are plenty of other areas too, I'm sure if your wife wanted, you could find plenty to do without ever stepping foot downtown. In twentyfive years about the only time I went downtown for entertainment was for Memphis in May, and for some of the concerts from time to time, maybe a few exhibits. I never felt unsafe either, as those are usually well attended events and you are surrounded by hundreds of other people.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
Keep in mind Bartlett is very, very far from the 3rd St post office. Southaven would be much closer commute.

Like has been said, if all you are looking for is restaurants and malls - those are found in the suburbs anyway

I don't think Memphis and Miami are much different. Different racial demographics, and Miami is larger, but in terms of crime I'd say it's pretty similar. You have really good areas, really bad areas, and almost all of it seems to border up to one another (in the cities). If you're happy with the crime situation in Miami, I don't think you'd feel any different about Memphis. Miami is simply a larger area with a lot more to do. (Plus the beaches!!!)

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM

165 posts, read 461,960 times
Don't come to Memphis. Especially if you have a choice. You will be put off by the culture shock.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,930 times
Memphis and Miami are not very different as far as crime. If you feel safe in Miami you will more than likely feel safe in Memphis. Its all about knowing the places to stay away from. Most large cities have bad parts of town. Memphis is no different; there are really bad areas and really great areas.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 AM

165 posts, read 548,669 times
Downtown is one of the safest areas in Memphis. Bartlett would be an insane drive, especially since downtown is safe (Mud Island sounds like the kind of place you might be looking for). Southaven is an okay drive, but do you REALLY want to live in MS? They have crazy taxes, and the commute sucks.

It sounds like you don't want to move at all. But, if you have to, I would stay downtown. Short commute, nice area, lots to do, and close to most of town. Plus, no one could not feel safe on Mud Island, and the worst thing that has ever happened to me downtown was some panhandling. Not exactly danger city. If you're from Miami, you should know where to go and where not to.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:18 AM

I think prior responders made it clear - in terms of CRIME the cities are similar. In terms of "things to do" obviously Miami wins out.

Going to dinners, the mall, and to movies is what the OP was concerned about - we have that here. If you're looking to dine alongside JLo, shop for Louboutins, and go to red carpet premeires - maybe Miami is best

I have never lived in Miami but I've vacationed there often, and the crime I saw on the news looked the exact same as the crime I see on the news here. If you can watch the news in Miami and be okay with living in the city, you should be fine here. You have to take Memphis for what it is, and we are not Miami. If you come in expecting the exact some lifestyle, yes, you will be disappointed. If you like the Bartlett area, that's really suburban. The good news, it's a safe suburb and the commutes are a breeze compared to Miami.

Germantown and Collierville are the wealthiest and "best" suburbs of Memphis. Both are SW of the city, so they would be a lot loser to the post office downtown. But I would pick Bartlett over Southaven anyday.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
True, C'ville and G'town are in SE Memphis, typos happen.

You realize that other people here are agreeing with you that Memphis and Miami are different as far as culture, and that the comparison is being made about issues involving crime?
And that it's possible to enjoy a nice evening out and have some entertainment without having to fear for your safety?

I don't think anybody in their right mind would come on this forum and brag that Memphis has as much to do as Miami, or that we offer anything in the way of beaches, deep sea fishing, etc.
But that's not the question the OP asked anyway. His concern seems to be if there are plentiful places to go and things to do that are safe, and the answer to that is yes. If he's looking for a lifestyle just like like Miami, then yes looking at Memphis would just be silly.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Yes, Cville and Gtown are S-EAST of the city. Typo, but I'm sure the OP knows how to use a map to verify facts stated on here.

Maybe the OP will come back to this forum to give more questions or opinions, so the debate of Memphis vs Miami doesn't have to be waged between people who it's not relevant to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis