Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 02:13 PM

130 posts, read 317,578 times

Advertisements

It is also used for the treatment of anxiety

Quote:
Sertraline hydrochloride (trade names Zoloft and Lustral) is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class. It was introduced to the market by Pfizer in 1991. Sertraline is primarily used to treat major depression in adult outpatients as well as obsessive–compulsive, panic, and social anxiety disorders in both adults and children.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 AM

6,957 posts, read 6,886,653 times
Well, Tao, I can see that what I said struck a nerve with you then. Why do you feel there is any stigma attached to illness when so many people are unwell, isn't it just the norm? Where is the stigma?

You obviously do not like what I said, and you do not have to take it as personally as you have done. You really have no idea what training I have had so to say that I am uninformed is incorrect. Just because you suffer from stress and anxiety does not make you an expert in the subject. You ARE an expert on your own stress and anxiety though and that is unlikely to be like that suffered by many other people. We all have different things which trigger our episodes.

If you step back a moment and read some of the posts on this long thread, you will see that in some aspects it does resemble a "keeping up with the Jones" kind of feeling which runs through many of the posts. Of course stress and anxiety is not easy to come to terms with and I offered an alternative solution which I thought may help some people. Nothing helps everyone becase we are all different, so it was a suggestion to look into that healing modality if you felt drawn to it. No pressure at all. Why are you concentrating on this aspect rather than the positive things I said and the helpful suggestions I made to those with stress and anxiety?

What is disrespectful and insensitive and degrading about suggesting that drugs companies and the media are brainwashing us? It is obvious that they are, and anyone who has studied marketing at even a low level with realise how they want to place their product into the forefront of our minds so that we think of buying it next time we are in the superstore. This is how it works and it IS a form of brainwashing. Why can't you see that?

It certainly is disrespectful, degrading and insensitive of THEM to be telling us what we want to buy.

Quote:
Trust me, not all of us enjoy having to take medications in order to function in a way that healthy, "normal" people take for granted. In fact, for a lot of us, it's a struggle to accept and reconcile ourselves to the reality that we have to do so. Of course, I can't deny that there are some who fit your description, but those people are definitely the minority. To purport that all of us are like that is unfair and as I said already, incredibly offensive.
Why? Why should I trust you? You do not trust me. Do you think your anxiety is worse than some of the things that the Vietnam Veterans go through daily with their memories of that horrific time? Don't you think that something that appears to work for some of them, may warrant a small peek into the same method that helped them? Why do I get the feeling that you do not think it is worth it? Maybe from what you just said?

As far as I am concerned, I am trying to suggest ways to help those people who have anxiety and stress. The more knowledge and information on an illness you have, the better you can apply that knowledge to your own circumstances and the way your body reacts. No-one (and that includes your doctor) knows you and your conditions like you should do.

If you feel that I am being disrespectful to you, then it is best that you ignore my suggestions and continue on your way leaving others to benefit.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,417,658 times
I just wanted to give my experience on all this. I had panic attacks in 2005. I was put on Zoloft and Xanax. The doctor, of course, lied to me about withdrawal and side effects and I had a whole bunch.

Although I am sorry about the side effects, the Zoloft saved my life at the moment, and I'm glad I took it.

Since then, I have put myself on a nice multivitamin, 5-HTP (HUGE HELP,) and melatonin for sleep. I still have depression, unfortunately, which I don't remember having before, but at least I can function in society and be social without worrying about attacks.

I hope everybody slays their dragon!

Joe

Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,551,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I just wanted to give my experience on all this. I had panic attacks in 2005. I was put on Zoloft and Xanax. The doctor, of course, lied to me about withdrawal and side effects and I had a whole bunch.

Although I am sorry about the side effects, the Zoloft saved my life at the moment, and I'm glad I took it.

Since then, I have put myself on a nice multivitamin, 5-HTP (HUGE HELP,) and melatonin for sleep. I still have depression, unfortunately, which I don't remember having before, but at least I can function in society and be social without worrying about attacks.

I hope everybody slays their dragon!

Joe
Joe, thanks for this post.

Although I believe that medications are necessary in some cases, I've also had bad experiences with lying doctors and horrible withdrawals from drugs that they insist are not addictive and am currently working hard at getting off all pHARMaceuticals. One poster eloquently pointed out that we managed fine on nature's (or God's, if you prefer) medicines for a few thousand years, and in historical perspective, the toxic drugs we take these days which are synthesized from petrochemicals in huge laboratories ought to be the ones given the "alternative" designation.

I still take my clonazepam so I can sleep and my bupropion, as well as hydrocodone for the chronic pain that started when I started taking Lyrica, ironically, but am trying to be optimistic that I'll eventually get off of all of them.

Thanks for having the courage to say those horrible words "the doctor lied" and for sharing your hope that others will find relief as you have.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:25 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,332,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
Has anyone ever tried to take magnesium? I have read that many are deficient in and that it can cause panic attacks, muscle aches, etc. Curious if anyone has tried it, and has it helped.

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition

Magnesium Benefits and Deficiency Symptoms | Foods High in Magnesium | Overdose Symptoms

Yeah, I have, but with very high doses of lecithin (28 grams a day).

Very calming but with the side effect of non-stop talkativeness.

Don't use lecithin from GM soy beans.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:34 PM

1,224 posts, read 4,001,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
My first panic attack came when I was 19. Me and 4 other people were broken down in a dark, mountainous area, and 1 of the people started telling a story about how someone broken down and sitting in his car had been decapitated because a car had slammed into his...so of course then we stood outside the car, in the field. Then visions of Freddy and Jason and bears started going into my head, and boom...my first panic attack of sweats, dizziness and so on.
That 1 panic attacked developed into a year long panic attack. Almost every day I "developed" fast heartbeat, feeling that I was going to die any minute, quickness/shortness of breath, bouts of almost passing out...I even went for 2 kinds of heart tests because I honestly thought something was wrong (wasn't). My doctor prescribed me Xanax.
I am now 34. I get them here and there. One time I had them for a couple of days, but a bad event in my life had happened and at least I knew the reason for it. But mine sometimes come out for NO reason! Three times it happened to me while I was driving, and I thought I was going to pass out and actually had to pull over, and let me tell you how scary that was during one of the times as I had to quickly cross three lanes of traffic to pull up on the sidewalk with my two kids in the car.
Who else gets panic attacks for no reason at all?
I don't have panic attacks for no reason. That must be frightening. Mine are stress induced and only happen when during the school year (teacher). I had to leave work today because of one and finally broke down and went to the dr. He prescribed me Bystolic and Xanax. I'm hoping it helps with the feelings of helplessness, the heart palpitations, and extreme facial flushing. Only time will tell.... and summer! I hope you feel better.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,666,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah, I have, but with very high doses of lecithin (28 grams a day).

Very calming but with the side effect of non-stop talkativeness.

Don't use lecithin from GM soy beans.

I started taking it not long ago and I have noticed my aches/pains aren't as bad and works really well for tension headaches - which I get a lot. It lowered my blood pressure about 10 points (89/60) which I didn't need. I also seem to snore quite a bit (that's what my husband says) - guess it relaxes those muscles as well.. I now don't take it everyday.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM

My panic attacks are directly related to my work environment- public high school teacher. I usually get extreme facial flushing, pounding rapid heart rate, elevated BP, and uncontrolable shaking. I usually feel dizzy and unattached when these happen as well. I've sort of just "dealt" with it, but the other day I had such a bad attack I had to go to the doctor. My BP was 158/108 and pulse was 109. My dr prescribed me Bystolic and 0.5 Xanax to deal with the anxiety. The Bystolic hasn't had time to build up in my system yet, but the Xanax sure is helping take the edge off. I only feel that "jumpy heart" feeling every now (like right now) and then and my facial flushing has decreased dramatically just in two days. I'm hoping the Bystolic will compound the calming feeling and I can start to feel "normal" again. Unfortunately, these latest meds make 7 prescriptions that I'm taking per day and I'm only 36! Ironically, I only have to take them during the school year... in the summer I'm drug free. Hmmm...

Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 PM

I just realized I posted on here twice. Duh. That's the stress and axiety for ya!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,011 times
Default Nursing Jobs

Hi,

Thanks for nice post again and welcoming me here i want to say to people who are seeking for support of panic/anxiety.who are unable to find advice about panic/anxiety.... Anxiety disorders fill people's lives with overwhelming anxiety and fear. Unlike the relatively mild, brief anxiety caused by a stressful event such as a business presentation or a first date, anxiety disorders are chronic, relentless, and can grow progressively worse if not treated. Anxiety and panic attacks are NOT mental illnesses, they are 100% behavioral conditions, any psychiatrist or psychologist will tell you so. So why do doctors prescribe panic attacks medication to treat a habit? Because most of them don't have a clue what else to do and it's a 'quick fix' ! PANIC ATTACK MEDICATIONS ARE NOT THE ANSWER! I have never met or spoken to anyone in 10 years, having treated tens of thousands of people worldwide, who have been cured by taking so called panic attacks medication, but I know many, many people who have become well without it!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health