Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 07:00 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,958,407 times

Advertisements

I have tried rescue remedy and got no results. I have tried other bach flowers and they never worked, not even a little. I suffer from severe panic attacks, and was hopeful it would work, but was sadly disappointed.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:51 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Hi all. I have been dealing with a panic disorder for almost 20 years now off and on. The last 6 years it has been extreme. I have seen all kinds of doctors, taken different meds, I am still on a anti-anxiety and anti-depressant. Nothing has really helped. Right now, I am in a bad cycle, I am not sleeping, my mind races all night long. I feel my heart racing all the time. I feel really scared of I dont know what, but the feeling never leaves me. I am scared that I wont be able to keep fighting this forever. I feel so hopelss right now. I dont even live a life. I forgot what it is to smile and just be calm. I stay home 90% of the time. Cant go to the movies, dinner, the mall, it is so hard for me to be in a car. I havent been on the freeway in like 8 months. We are planning a move to New England this coming year for which I am very excited about. Maybe a calmer place might help. I dont know. People take for granted how lucky they are to just go to the movies. The thought of that makes me hyperventilate, and cry, and just feel soo scared. For people that dont have this disorder, I know it is hard to understand. But your life is just sad, scared, hopeless, all the time. It sounds silly to be afraid to drive, eat out or go shopping, but the fear is there all the time. Why? I dont know but like I said, I just feel like I am at my breaking point, this isnt a life anymore. Is there anyone that has had panic attacks to the severity that I do, and has gotten better? Please tell me there is some hope out there.

I had them when i was into drugs and had a drug overdose....after that i would just freak out and start thinking my head was going to explode and i had lots of flashbacks and some hallucinations...and would just cry for no reason ....i remember going out to eat with my mother one time and just waiting for our food i just started crying for no reason.....when i had the panic attack part i would feel like a sense of adrenalin and anxiety and pressure on my chest and then it would feel as if my head was actually going to explode and i had a weird feeling on my forehead like i was wearing a hat and so i had to rub my head because that made it seem like my head was going to explode and the pressure in my chest was terrible everytime it happened...that went on for about 5-6 years......i slowely taught myself how to deal with it better each time it happened.....i would say to myself "I am going to do this/that if i feel an attack coming on".....then i got to the point where i knew the attack would come because i started to feel weird then i would tell myself, "It's just another attack and i just need to wait this out".....that helped a little because i knew my own personal signs of when i was going to have one and I identified it and trained my mind just to go into a "wait it out" mode......after a while the attacks kinda just went away....i dont know why they did or if it was because i trained my mind or what but luckily they went away but i still suffer from chronic depression though.....but hope this story might help and im sorry this has been going on for so long with you.....God Bless you......P.S. ...my faith in God was a big factor in things to......i would always pray and read the Bible .......I THANK GOD and my relationship with Jesus Christ to get me out of that period........i am not sin-less but i just love and have faith in God.....Good luck 2 you

Old 11-22-2007, 05:37 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,354,845 times
I had a friend that did Bach remedies, and she was always giving me some. They didn't work for me at all, but I thought it was interesting to get these little bottles to take home and use. She used to decorate them with pretty floral stickers.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:47 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
I understand. The drug that has helped me the most for panic attacks is Effexor. To sleep at night without the racing thoughts and heart palpitations I recommend any over the counter sleep aid like Excedrin PM paired with an antihistamine. I take the PM meds about 2 hours before I want to fall asleep. I'll lie in bed and watch TV or read. I'll feel relaxed and then fall asleep.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:51 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,189,768 times
Well guys, I have to tell you, I really resisted the idea of taking it but I have to admit Xanax is really helping me right now. I'm not going to resist it anymore. At this point whatever helps is a blesssing.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:24 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,249,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
Well guys, I have to tell you, I really resisted the idea of taking it but I have to admit Xanax is really helping me right now. I'm not going to resist it anymore. At this point whatever helps is a blesssing.
I believe that you should do whatever you need to do, whether it's meds or whatever. On the other hand, if you think you'll need Xanex longterm and you haven't tried other meds, such as Lexapro, I would talk to your doctor. Xanax can work great, but it cycles through your body and gives you immediate relief, which therefore, makes it pretty addictive and those who try to come off of it can have withdrawl symptoms. Other drugs, such as Lexapro, take weeks to get into your system (which is why they are sometimes combined with others at first) but then it builds up and stays in your system so you don't have the cycling effect. Also, since it doesn't have immediate relief, it's not addictive. I just wanted to provide you with that info because I feel like many doctors don't. That doesn't mean you shouldn't take Xanax if it helps, but should make an informed decision.
Good luck!

Old 11-25-2007, 08:08 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,579,727 times
I started having them when I was transferred to another location at work and had a very abusive boss. The first several times I had them, I had no clue what they were and it took a long time for me to accept what they were. I finally went to the doctor and she immediately put me on Paxil... which left me non-functional and took me years to get off of. I don't think the Paxil helped, time away from the job was what I needed and I was off for almost a year. When the time came for me to go back, I flat refused to go back to where I had been assigned so I was "punished" by being told they had nowhere else to send me and I told them I would just sit at home until they had another place for me before I would go back there.

Upon returning back to work, at first they started coming back and I had to talk myself down with "this is NOT him! This is a new boss! Give him a chance! This is a whole new place, a BETTER place" and stuff like that until I simply quit having them. Turns out I hit the goldmine and got the best boss I ever had. He has rebuilt everything that abusive boss tore down in me.

I have had several since then, one was brought on when my best friend was murdered and another was a puzzel to me until the next day. I work away from home in other states and one night I woke up in a major panic attack and KNEW I had to get home! I didn't know WHY, I just HAD to get home. Again, I talked myself down with reasoning.. "What could I say to the boss? Tell him I HAVE to get home but not know WHY? Even if I convienced him, how would we get the company to agree? Going home could cost me my job..." So I calmed myself down and forgot about it until the next day when I got a phone call. My son had been in an explosion and was burned...BAD! I came home then.....

For me, talking myself down with reason and logic works... so far. But I have always had a logical reasoning about things. That may not work for everybody.

That abusive boss was fired a few years later when he decided it was OK to treat the operations manager the way he was treating his employees and his wife divorced him too!

Last edited by Laura707; 11-25-2007 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: need to add...

Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
tao, if you feel you need meds to help you, then that is what is best for you right now. Jessie made a lot of good points in her post. I always tell people to try to get through this without meds, just because of what I have been through in taking them. I am taking only klonopin now as needed. I got tired of the anti-depressants, they really didnt work for me. I still had panic attacks while taking them. I am glad you are getting relief taking the xanax!! That is great. Any relief from panic/anxiety is great.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:16 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I understand. The drug that has helped me the most for panic attacks is Effexor. To sleep at night without the racing thoughts and heart palpitations I recommend any over the counter sleep aid like Excedrin PM paired with an antihistamine. I take the PM meds about 2 hours before I want to fall asleep. I'll lie in bed and watch TV or read. I'll feel relaxed and then fall asleep.
Talk to your doctor about the over the counter sleep aids, normallay the active ingredient in them is also an antihistamine. You might be getting too much of that kind of drug.

I take Paxil and it helps me alot.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Talk to your doctor about the over the counter sleep aids, normallay the active ingredient in them is also an antihistamine. You might be getting too much of that kind of drug.

I take Paxil and it helps me alot.
Are you taking Paxil or Paxil CR? I was taking the latter and it put my in the hospital for the night. I had a very bad reaction to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health