Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,789 times

Advertisements

I had my first panic attack when I was in HS, it was summer time and our family was visiting my aunt & uncle in MN. I went to the movies with my cousins and suddenly had an attack for no apparent reason (nothing scary or disturbing about the movie, and I went to movies all the time so it wasn't like it was anything new...). I got dizzy and my heart pounded and I felt like I was going to be sick. My cousins took me back to their house and it only got worse. My mom & aunt drove me to an emergency clinic and on the way there I hyperventilated so badly that I lost control of my muscles and every thing tightened up on me at once. The doc prescribed alprazolam (sp?) which I only took once because it actually gave me another panic attack after taking it. For the rest of the vacation I had attacks almost every day, and continued to have them for months after we got back home. Pounding heart, dizzy, feeling like I was going to die, hypocondriac, ect. Before that first attack I had never even herd of a panic attack & was perfectly normal, happy, healthy, ect. I have no idea why on earth I had it. I still have them occasionally but not as bad. Usually what helps me is putting on a simple video/computer game & getting lost in it until the feeling passes (majong, solitare, pixlejunk, ect). Currently not on medication because I don't have them too often and the medications I've tried have always made me panic more.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
I had my first panic attack when I was in HS, it was summer time and our family was visiting my aunt & uncle in MN. I went to the movies with my cousins and suddenly had an attack for no apparent reason (nothing scary or disturbing about the movie, and I went to movies all the time so it wasn't like it was anything new...). I got dizzy and my heart pounded and I felt like I was going to be sick. My cousins took me back to their house and it only got worse. My mom & aunt drove me to an emergency clinic and on the way there I hyperventilated so badly that I lost control of my muscles and every thing tightened up on me at once. The doc prescribed alprazolam (sp?) which I only took once because it actually gave me another panic attack after taking it. For the rest of the vacation I had attacks almost every day, and continued to have them for months after we got back home. Pounding heart, dizzy, feeling like I was going to die, hypocondriac, ect. Before that first attack I had never even herd of a panic attack & was perfectly normal, happy, healthy, ect. I have no idea why on earth I had it. I still have them occasionally but not as bad. Usually what helps me is putting on a simple video/computer game & getting lost in it until the feeling passes (majong, solitare, pixlejunk, ect). Currently not on medication because I don't have them too often and the medications I've tried have always made me panic more.
yea, mine typically have no particular reason for showing up either. The Alprazolam is Xanax and I couldn't begin to know why they would make anxiety worse.
Glad you got yours under control.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:03 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
yea, mine typically have no particular reason for showing up either. The Alprazolam is Xanax and I couldn't begin to know why they would make anxiety worse.
Glad you got yours under control.
I took it once too and it made my anxiety worse. I think it's b/c you don't feel like you're in control anymore and it makes you panic worse. It made me feel like I was on a rollercoaster with my stomach constantly dropping.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I took it once too and it made my anxiety worse. I think it's b/c you don't feel like you're in control anymore and it makes you panic worse. It made me feel like I was on a rollercoaster with my stomach constantly dropping.
Xanax?
it stops anxiety attacks

Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I have heard some people that suffer from anxiety that they are affraid to take medication.
I don't feel that way, I am fortunate to have found a combination of medication that works for me. Of course there are side effects but they are MINOR compared to the panic attacks I will have without them.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:04 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,054 times
You need to be aware that Panic/Anxiety attacks May be caused by Food Allergies and/or environmental chemicals.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have heard some people that suffer from anxiety that they are affraid to take medication.
This is a problem in my family.

My son had a bad experience with an anti-depressant and he has refused to take any medication for the past three years.

His anxiety is getting so much worse without treatment. I'm at my wits end.

I fear he might end up so bad that one day he might simply never leave the house.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 AM

745 posts, read 1,649,054 times
Doctors who medicate you without doing any tests are doing you a great disservice. In fact they should be sued for Malpractice.

PLEASE all you people go to the following links and do some tests yourself.
Notice what you have eaten just prior to your attacks. Eliminate suspect foods. Keep a food diary if necessary. You need to become aware of what your body is telling you.
Doctors are not gods. You just may be smarter than they are.

Become aware of chemicals in your environment. Do you use a lot of insecticides in your home. Those Monthly treatments can be lethal. Your cosmetics; your shampoo; bath bubbles; tooth paste etc. How about your laundry detergent? Those fabric softeners are often guilty of causing problems.

http://http://www.panic-anxiety.com/articles/allergy-intolerance-sensitivity/ (broken link)

ANXIETY, PANIC ATTACKS AND FOOD
"I can tell you right now that over 50% of my clients who suffer from anxiety and panic attacks also suffer from sensitivities to many substances including medications, foods and chemicals, furthermore, I too experienced exactly the same reaction."

http://http://www.anxietypanic.com/nutrition.html (broken link)
NUTRITION AND ANXIETY DISORDERS
"What we put in our body can have a direct impact on how we feel physically and emotionally. It is important to be aware of what you are putting in your body and how some foods could actually be increasing your experience of anxiety - especially if you are a sensitive person. Some of the anxiety your experience may actually be due to particular stimulants your are consuming, or deficiencies in particular vitamins and minerals. The following information is extremely important in your overall recovery program from anxiety. Think about your lifestyle and what you may be doing that could be exasperating your anxiety. Bourne,E.J. in his book [SIZE=-1]'[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook',( 1995), outlines how stimulants, salt, preservatives, hormones in meat, and sweet refined foods can potentially exasperate your anxiety."[/SIZE]

Do some research on Multiple Chemical Sensitivities.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,275 times
I'm afraid of medications so I refuse to take them.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 PM

324 posts, read 572,892 times
I had an anxiety in class today and it has now ruined my life. I practiced for TWO hours on a two minute speech because I wanted to make a good impression in front of the class. Of course, that would never happen! My anxiety attack was so bad that I had to leave class and take a shower because I was covered in sweat..

Other students were laughing at me as well... I felt absolutely horrible. To make it worse, there was this guy who had interest in me and I fcked that up as well.

Oh...goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health