Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,092,566 times

Advertisements

Celebrating 1 year of being tobacco free, probably not a big deal to any one but me and the family but after smoking for 40 years i never thought i'd get to this point.
My main motivations to quit one year ago were when a pack if cigs finally went over $10 a pack,that in conjunction with a failing ability to breath fully finally got this 62 yr old to see the light. Now the wife and kids are taking me out to celebrate this evening at an upscale restaurant..
Unbelievable feeling of accomplishment.
Good job Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 AM

523 posts, read 3,800,021 times
fantastic job, well done!

apart from the absolutely justified sense of achievement, how do you feel?

enjoy your meal tonight, and know that theres a very good chance you'll be around to enjoy far more of them, than had you continued to smoke!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:02 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,043,924 times
Way to go!! It may not be a big deal to everyone, but the most important one should be yourself. I'm going on 18 months.
Keep it up the great job!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:03 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,874,284 times
Congratulations! It CAN be done!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 AM

527 posts, read 1,017,488 times
congratulations! I have been a smoker for around 25yrs - wish I had the willpower to quit, cigs are almost $13/pk here now- just dont have it in me yet- that is a great accomplishment for you- congrats!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:49 AM

467 posts, read 1,886,213 times
Way to go! Keep it up! In a couple of months, I'll be celebrating two years of freedom from nicotine. I smoked for almost 13 years.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
fantastic job, well done!

apart from the absolutely justified sense of achievement, how do you feel?

enjoy your meal tonight, and know that theres a very good chance you'll be around to enjoy far more of them, than had you continued to smoke!
Actually i feel terrible as last week my vision went funny and now i cant focus on anything,everything is double and the vertigo is making me feel kinda queasy all the time.
However i can take some comfort that all the smoking related problems are gone,the burning in the mouth, the shortness of breath, clothes no longer reeking of cigarette smoke, and the money saved..

Old 11-09-2010, 11:52 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,384,655 times
Congrats to you! I'm at two months without cigs since finding out I was pregnant. I don't intend to ever smoke again after having smoked for about 15 years off and on. Now I'm working on hubby with the goal for him to be smoke free once the baby arrives. Plus, I'm having a really hard time with the smell since becoming pregnant. His clothing, his car, his hands, he just reeks all the time! And he smokes outside.

So how did you quit?

Old 11-09-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
So how did you quit?
Actually the hardest part of giving up smoking is stopping,most will give it a feeble attempt for a few hours or a few days or say tomorrow or next week but to really focus and to stop for any amount of time can be tough.
For me the thought of going back to a $10 a day habit and all the negative health related issues is what stops me from having that "just one" cigarette.
Not ever going to smoke again.The monkey has been put down with extreme prejudice.

Nicorette lozenges helped me for the first couple of months but ultimately you have to dump the Nicotine replacement therapy to really be free.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:41 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,384,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Actually the hardest part of giving up smoking is stopping,most will give it a feeble attempt for a few hours or a few days or say tomorrow or next week but to really focus and to stop for any amount of time can be tough.
For me the thought of going back to a $10 a day habit and all the negative health related issues is what stops me from having that "just one" cigarette.
Not ever going to smoke again.The monkey has been put down with extreme prejudice.

Nicorette lozenges helped me for the first couple of months but ultimately you have to dump the Nicotine replacement therapy to really be free.
Thanks for the reply. My husband has tried the lozenges unsuccessfully twice in the past. Each time he develops serious mouth sores. I asked if he was continuing to smoke while using the lozenges and he was evasive which means he was. I think the nicotine overload caused the sores. He started Chantix with great success but stopped due to the cost. Now I'm trying to get him into the doc and back on Chantix for a second try.

Again, congrats to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health