Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 01:58 PM

371 posts, read 365,726 times

Advertisements

I really need to be on an anti depressant but worried about weight gain. Many doctors say not everyone get weight gain. Well I do!!! I was on Paxil years ago and loved how I felt on it but it cause 40 pound weight gain rapidly. My primary care is no help in choosing a medication. She just says, well the meds really do not cause weight gain, just people feel happy and eat more. lol I am looking for a drug that is like paxil but without all the weight gain. Anyone know of a good one? I want to feel brain numb and happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 02:13 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
I was on them in my 20s and like you I put on weight. Some of it may have been eating more and exercising less, but I went up from a 6'2 man at 210 pounds to 250 pounds. I started walking more and then came off the meds all together. I'm now almost 50 and weigh 182 pounds which is what I weighed when I went on meds again. I'm on Cymbalta now, different from what I was on in my 20s.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:26 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
There is genetic testing to determine what type of drugs may work best for your genotype. So far I'm not sure how helpful it is.

Many factors affect how well a drug may work for you including diet and caffeine, alcohol and nicotine use.

Unfortunately finding the right drug for the diagnosis has been and still is a matter of trial and error. So it requires quite a bit of patience. It's not a quick fix. And every drug will come with its own set of side-effects. Often it's a trade-off. Do I want to feel better and have this side effect or do I want to feel the same and not have the side effect?

Old 03-01-2020, 03:15 PM

371 posts, read 365,726 times
I already did a DNA test through 23 and me. Could I find what drugs would work for on there? I have the health part.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:27 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
I really need to be on an anti depressant but worried about weight gain. Many doctors say not everyone get weight gain. Well I do!!! I was on Paxil years ago and loved how I felt on it but it cause 40 pound weight gain rapidly. My primary care is no help in choosing a medication. She just says, well the meds really do not cause weight gain, just people feel happy and eat more. lol I am looking for a drug that is like paxil but without all the weight gain. Anyone know of a good one? I want to feel brain numb and happy.
The way it works is you might gain weight but you won't care.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:29 PM

330 posts, read 428,800 times
Quote:
I used to be on both paxil and lexapro (not at the same time) and it was very, very hard to get off of them. but once I did, weight just fell off of me, I lost about 20 pounds without trying to.

your doctor is not well informed.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:33 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Effexor.
I took it from '97 to '05 and then weaned off it slowly. Never needed it again.

But I can't help you with your goal of feeling "brain numb". Actually, I felt awake for the very first time. Still do.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:44 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
I'm taking Bupropion and haven't experienced any weight gain. It seems to be an effective medication and puts me in a good mood.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:47 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,061,436 times
Yeah, your doctor is not well-informed. The way the doctor explained it, the same switch that's flipped that makes you feel better also inhibits your brain's ability to signal to your stomach that it's full. So you feel better, but you always feel hungry. (At least that's how my daughter explained it.)

Old 03-02-2020, 01:18 PM

546 posts, read 243,122 times
You might look into lithium orotate, it’s not a prescription but many doctors do approve of it for their patients...it seems to have quite a few benefits...one of them is for brain health!

https://www.jillcarnahan.com/2018/11...-dose-lithium/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health