Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 11:17 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

This may be in wrong place but darn this has gotten ridiculous. I spoke to my doc & my cardiologist this wk, & despite their reassure that I'm fine, I'm thinking (like Woody Allen movies) that I'm losing my mind -- & falling apart. Anyone deal w/ this problem which has become ALL encompassing?

Last edited by movintime; 04-24-2011 at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:47 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Are you actually feeling pain? One major feature of some people's experience of depression is phantom pain or feelings of illness. Especially shooting pains in the arms or legs. Also headaches and backaches are common, sometimes genuine but caused solely by the clenched muscles that people with depression often have. I've had chronic clinical depression since I was 16 and was finally treated at a major teaching hospital where I had a very detailed intake at age 30. A great segment of the questions designed to determine depression centered not on how my mood was, but rather a simple, "how do you feel?" questions. I distinctly remember one, "Do you think there is something seriously wrong with you that a doctor just hasn't found yet?" Almost everyone's who's depressed answers "yes" to that. I felt terrible in every physical sense before my depression was diagnosed. Excruciating headaches, hyperventilation, chest pain, upset stomach, and shooting pains down my arms that -- especially combined with the tightness in my chest -- made me think I was having a heart attack. Once I got on an appropriate dose of antidepressant medication, all my physical symptoms disappeared.

I'm not telling you to self-diagnose, but ask your primary care physician for a referral to a competent psychiatric diagnostician if there's any possibility you could be depressed. They might just tell you, "No, you aren't depressed." Sometimes people (me, for instance) are depressed for so long they don't think they're depressed -- they just think that it's their personality be it serious, stressed out, sickly, prone to binge drinking, constantly worrying, explosively angry, or other "characteristics" that don't fit with their mental image of "depression." I don't know if you are a man of a woman, but men are statistically more likely to sublimate their depressed mood in a form that doesn't seem to be sadness or "the blues."

My suggestion might be totally off the mark, but it may be worth considering if you can't find another explanation for how you feel. There's no stigma to being depressed today. It's a screw up in the chemicals in your brain. Sometimes hard to regulate, but at least trying is better than suffering in silence ... or worse yet, making other people miserable. If you are already taking an antidepressant, or did before, maybe you just need an adjustment in the medication. There are many different kinds and some work for some people better than others. Get a start by taking this brief quiz:
Depression Symptoms Quiz

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-25-2011 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
This may be in wrong place but darn this has gotten ridiculous. I spoke to my doc & my cardiologist this wk, & despite their reassure that I'm fine, I'm thinking (like Woody Allen movies) that I'm losing my mind -- & falling apart. Anyone deal w/ this problem which has become ALL encompassing?
Sometimes you can get chest tightness and shortness of breath that are related to asthma and go undiagnosed by docs cuz they aren't aware that not all cases of asthma involves wheezing. It can make you very nervous. You can also get neck pain, arm pain associated with it which makes you think you are having a heart issue. If your doc and cardiologist have done all the tests and you are fine, then probably nothing is wrong and you might need to seek psych help.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:14 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times
Thank you both for this info. I awake w/ huge surges of adrenalin, or maybe cortisol, & it leads to anxiety thruout my day. Some days are better than others but this has gone on too long & makes me feel sick physically as I try to workout, etc. It is a complex issue but I hope I can resolve it w/ counseling & seeing an MD next month for an eval.

Thanks much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health