Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

Here's a link to the It Gets Better campaign.

It Gets Better Project | Give hope to LGBT youth

If you're not familiar with it, the group was established after several young people committed suicide after being bullied for being gay. It is specifically targeted to young people who are afraid of coming out. They have a hotline you can call and some other resources. Don't know if you're interested in that type of group or not, but it might be a place to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:33 AM

376 posts, read 665,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Here's a link to the It Gets Better campaign.

It Gets Better Project | Give hope to LGBT youth

If you're not familiar with it, the group was established after several young people committed suicide after being bullied for being gay. It is specifically targeted to young people who are afraid of coming out. They have a hotline you can call and some other resources. Don't know if you're interested in that type of group or not, but it might be a place to start.
i heard about this. i don't know if this was around before the time that guy that went to rutgers killed himself last year but i know it was going on for some period. i would be interested in that group actually.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
i heard about this. i don't know if this was around before the time that guy that went to rutgers killed himself last year but i know it was going on for some period. i would be interested in that group actually.
It may have been started in response to that guy taking his own life. In any case, it might be a good place for you to start.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:23 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Pretty courageous of you to post this on here and get it out. It sounds like the first step in a journey.

"To thine own self be true". Easier said than done sometimes, but it's really the only way to live your life.

Something else--I was once in a writer's group, and there was a psychologist whose workshop piece was about system theory. In other words, your family, for example, is a system, where everyone has a role to play and is expected to behave in a certain manner. Now if one person in the system moves out of line and stops playing that role, the others have to shift, and many times they resist the change. If in exploring deeper into who you are you meet up with this resistance--well, know that it's coming but that their issues are THEIR problems, and you continue on with living your life and finding out who YOU are. Again, easier said than done--but vitally necessary.

Good luck, Nation.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:04 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Pretty courageous of you to post this on here and get it out. It sounds like the first step in a journey.

"To thine own self be true". Easier said than done sometimes, but it's really the only way to live your life.

Something else--I was once in a writer's group, and there was a psychologist whose workshop piece was about system theory. In other words, your family, for example, is a system, where everyone has a role to play and is expected to behave in a certain manner. Now if one person in the system moves out of line and stops playing that role, the others have to shift, and many times they resist the change. If in exploring deeper into who you are you meet up with this resistance--well, know that it's coming but that their issues are THEIR problems, and you continue on with living your life and finding out who YOU are. Again, easier said than done--but vitally necessary.

Good luck, Nation.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:48 PM

well, is there any resources which i can use to look for counseling centers to help a guy that is struggling with figuring out his sexual orientation? i'm lost right now, lost.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 PM

This is a link (The Trevor Project) from the site that Marlow provided.
This is the page for finding local resources.
LGBT Local Resources | The Trevor Project
Just start there ... baby steps.
Even if you don't find exactly what you're looking for by using that resource page you may get a lead.
And just talking with someone in person (even if only over the phone) will get you more grounded with this issue ... make it more real.
You'll hear your own voice express your issue and it will be empowering ... even if you're shaking when you speak.
It's a beginning.
On-line support is great but it's limited.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
well, is there any resources which i can use to look for counseling centers to help a guy that is struggling with figuring out his sexual orientation? i'm lost right now, lost.
You might feel lost, but look how far you've come in a week or so. From not even wanting to mention on the internet that you may be gay or bisexual, to looking for a real person to talk to about it. I think that's massive progress. Did you try to use the Trevor Project hotline?

Old 09-20-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You might feel lost, but look how far you've come in a week or so. From not even wanting to mention on the internet that you may be gay or bisexual, to looking for a real person to talk to about it. I think that's massive progress. Did you try to use the Trevor Project hotline?
yeah, i guess it is but the thing is to me this is stressful because i don't want to believe it at all. it was something i had to say and now i feel i wish i would have kept it to myself and stayed in denial. i wonder if this is a mistake that i've made. i feel as if i'm beginning to use this to dodge my other problems that i have to deal with (finding a job and getting back into school) but at the same time, i'm going to have to deal with it at the same point. i thought that telling somebody would have made it much easier but it only made things worse because now i'm more confused than ever. i should have just said that i was bicurious instead.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:43 PM

It feels worse now.
It won't feel worse when you gain clarity and ultimately make peace with yourself and with your sexuality no matter how you're oriented.
You're long range vision isn't operating right now and it seems that you are overwhelmed by the confusion and agony of it all.
That won't last ... it's just what is happening now.
It's a difficult process and you need to view it as a process and be patient with yourself.
And you haven't made any declaration here on city-data-forum.
As far as i know, you are bi-curious.
It's not like you've sealed your sexual fate by expressing what you've expressed on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health