Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:13 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
I suggest trying to relay those words of wisdom and knowledge, "STOP! BREATHE IN, BREATHE OUT, REPEAT..," to a stressed out parent who was just informed that their teenage daughter or son was involved in a motor vehicle accident, or someone who was just informed that they have inoperable cancer. There are people suffering every minute of the day stressed out by the vicissitudes of life, and unfortunately people like you suggest to them not to "get all bent out of shape." Life ain't a bowl of cherries for everyone, but compassion and understanding for those that are suffering is something that we can all do.
Quote:
Understanding I agree with. But why encourage stress. When has stress ever been proven to be anything but unhelpful? I have known people who have had their kids or loved ones in car accidents and watching them react with stress only made their loved ones heal slower because they stressed them out. Ever notice how the most stressed are always sick? How do you think stress reacts to a body already fighting cancer? I know. My mom had cancer, she was natural at being stress free, when told she had cancer she laughed and made jokes. This helped her live 3 years past the 6 months the doctor told her.
Quote:
Not all people can "turn it off"
It's not a matter of turning it off, it is all about letting it fade away.

Quote:
Do you have Children?
Nope, but I have worked in two daycares and have several niece's and nephews.

In the last ten years I have watched someone get run over by a semi, jump off a three story mall balcony, lost several jobs, been homeless, lost a mom and close friend to cancer, gotten married and divorced, lived on the streets, gone through two miscarriages, had pnumonia 7 times, had my apartment burn down, broken my hand, been engaged, broke up and got back together, cats had fleas, Dad got cancer, lost a close uncle to sleep apnea, owned a home, lost a home, and much more. I realized very quickly that stress didn't help at all, it actually made things worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 05:20 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,988,688 times
I'm sorry for the hardships you have experienced in the last decade. If you are able to let it all fade away good for you, people are not all cut from the same mold. What works for one person may do nothing for another. People are not robots, they tend to react to situations with emotion and sometimes anger. Trying to control stress as best one can is only smart, I think people generally do the best they can. Sometimes, like in my case, severe anxiety attacks play a part in how I do with a given situation. These do not just fade away on their own nor does any med I've tried take them away. People are different, some have support and others none, some are ill some are not. You have made your point, why not leave it at that.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
Quote:
I'm sorry for the hardships you have experienced in the last decade. If you are able to let it all fade away good for you, people are not all cut from the same mold. What works for one person may do nothing for another. People are not robots, they tend to react to situations with emotion and sometimes anger. Trying to control stress as best one can is only smart, I think people generally do the best they can. Sometimes, like in my case, severe anxiety attacks play a part in how I do with a given situation. These do not just fade away on their own nor does any med I've tried take them away. People are different, some have support and others none, some are ill some are not. You have made your point, why not leave it at that.
Amen to all of this. (And apparently I've agreed with you too recently, todd00, as I simply must spread my rep points around before I agree with you again.)

Old 10-25-2011, 08:26 AM

885 posts, read 1,522,457 times
I don't think we are helping ourselves too well in modern life. We make societies that are stressful and then we nurture stress in our personal lives. We teach our children how to be stressed out. It's a way of life.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
I don't think we are helping ourselves too well in modern life. We make societies that are stressful and then we nurture stress in our personal lives. We teach our children how to be stressed out. It's a way of life.
But we can't afford to give up. True there's a LOT of stressful issues out there; not just today, it will ALWAYS be the case. HOWEVER we can postively impact how we manage this in our personal lives, in our homes, and with our children.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,327,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
No not everyone is cut from the same cloth. Well, actually we kind of are. But, I know what you mean. I'm not saying that it is the only way. And I know all about anxiety attacks, my mom used to get them and it is one thing she passed on to her children. No medicines have ever worked for me. Only meditation and breathing techniques helped.

I only continue because stress serves no purpose. Taking it out on others only makes it worse and at this time, there are more people stressed because of the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health