Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 AM

49 posts, read 152,392 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering.. If someone has no energy at all, and would rather spend his/her time alone, laying on the couch.. doing nothing.

If he/she hates housework; laundry, vacuuming, doing dishes, folding clothes.. etc

and also hates studying for exams and doing assignments
and barely attending lectures.. mostly at lease 15 mins late.
Hates preparing food and would rather eat snacks all day.
and hates doing house repairs or grocery shopping.

How can you tell if this person is:

1- suffering from decreased energy, a common symptom of depression.

2- has a chronic fatigue, that could be caused by underlaying physical illness

3- Just plain lazy! ... As they have been like that since they were little, and used to get arguments with mom and dad over room-cleaning, dishes in the sink etc

--------------
Please keep in mind that this person IS diagnosed with depression, and been taking a large dose of an anti-depressant that was told to be known for energy boosting.

Any thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
The person should be evaluated by a professional if he/she or someone close to them thinks there is a problem. (Who knows, maybe there isn't a problem, the person just like living this way and they are happy. How many people do enjoy laundry, cleaning, etc???)

If there is a problem, the professional may recommend counseling or medicine.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:19 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil kitty View Post
Please keep in mind that this person IS diagnosed with depression, and been taking a large dose of an anti-depressant that was told to be known for energy boosting.
And the Lexapro isn't helping? 20 mg is not a large dose, though. You sound very depressed from your other posts. Are you seeing a therapist?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And the Lexapro (your other posts) isn't helping? 20 mg is not a large dose, though. Are you seeing a therapist?
freaking Lexapro never worked.
I'm on 225mg Effexor-XR

and this **** doesn't help either.

I've seen every counselor, psychologist, psychiatric in my area !

Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The person should be evaluated by a professional if he/she or someone close to them thinks there is a problem. (Who knows, maybe there isn't a problem, the person just like living this way and they are happy. How many people do enjoy laundry, cleaning, etc???)

If there is a problem, the professional may recommend counseling or medicine.
The thing is, she is not happy about it.

Are you suggesting that it is alright to be lazy?

Old 05-18-2012, 10:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil kitty View Post
The thing is, she is not happy about it.

Are you suggesting that it is alright to be lazy?
You know, I missed the last line in the original post about the anti-depressants. So, does this person revisit her doctor and explain the problems continue?

And yes, if a person is happy and not hurting anyone, then it is OK to be anything. One man's laziness is another man's efficiency.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
I have believed for a long time that depression can easily be mistaken for laziness.

Sometime it's hard to tell the difference.

Honestly, I've never been a fan of the word lazy. I've seen it overused people people who just like to judge others for not being as (whatever) as themselves.

I don't know why the person you are referring to isn't motivated to do more than he does. There could be multiple reasons. Maybe he just doesn't see the point in doing things that he deems unessesary.

We all have different levels of motivation. You cannot force someone to want to be more passionate about life, but the people around him can refuse to enable him to do nothing.

How old is this person?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:01 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You know, I missed the last line in the original post about the anti-depressants. So, does this person revisit her doctor and explain the problems continue?

And yes, if a person is happy and not hurting anyone, then it is OK to be anything. One man's laziness is another man's efficiency.

I second that sentiment!

Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Is about starting habits, and sticking to a schedule. Self discipline. It is easy to be lazy and unmotivated...which creates depression...sitting in a filthy house. Action creates energy.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:55 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
I've wondered about that too...I'm not depressed, or at least I don't FEEL depressed and I've been like that my whole life too, since I was a kid. I've always thought of it as laziness but now I'm wondering if there's something more to it. I do all the chores etc, plus I have a young child so I HAVE to do everything. It's just that it's always such an effort to get it done. I'm always envious of people who seem to have energy just bursting and make everything effortless. For me, it's always a struggle, and the only things I ever really want to do are sitting around with laptop or a book. I never have desire to do anything that requires the least bit of physical effort, and I never have energy. Is it just laziness? Don't know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health