Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Most Potent SSRI Available
citalopram (Celexa) 1 12.50%
fluoxetine (Prozac) 1 12.50%
paroxetine (Paxil) 1 12.50%
sertraline (Zoloft) 1 12.50%
escitalopram (Lexapro) 4 50.00%
fluvoxamine (Luvox) 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:52 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Thats silly. They really are a godsend for me and others. Wish you well on your
journey.

surely its a severe sign of weakness to rely on meds to get by or feel normal , sounds like a pretty unatural and grim way to live

what one do you take ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 02:00 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,129 times
Actually I take an AD to mostly help control my tinnitus. It works! I take Lexapro.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
id feel like a failure having to take anti depressants

would you feel like a failure if your pancreas was malfunctioning and you had to be on insulin for diabetes??

same difference.....

Old 08-01-2012, 11:53 AM

203 posts, read 511,498 times
IrishBob..gee thanks. So I'm a failure because my brain has a chemical imbalance that makes my life unbearable unless I take one simple pill a day.
I don't think I agree with you, nor does my family, friends, and coworkers. Judge much? I thought that was up to God.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times
Surveys like this are interesting, but useless, in a practical sense. Whether or not a given SSRI is effective depends on the individual. Wellbutrin (Bupropion), for example, has helped thousands (or more) people. It has saved many, many lives by preventing suicides. My wife took it, and experienced intolerable side effects. It's a horrible, horrible drug.....for my wife. She will never take it, ever again. So, is it a bad drug? Certainly not. It's just a bad drug for some people. O nthe other hand, she had had a great deal of success with Celexa (Citalopram). So, is Celexa a good drug? She thinks so, though some others disagree.

The key is not finding the perfect drug/treatment. You need to find the perfect drug/treatment for you

Old 08-18-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Surveys like this are interesting, but useless, in a practical sense. Whether or not a given SSRI is effective depends on the individual. Wellbutrin (Bupropion), for example, has helped thousands (or more) people. It has saved many, many lives by preventing suicides. My wife took it, and experienced intolerable side effects. It's a horrible, horrible drug.....for my wife. She will never take it, ever again. So, is it a bad drug? Certainly not. It's just a bad drug for some people. O nthe other hand, she had had a great deal of success with Celexa (Citalopram). So, is Celexa a good drug? She thinks so, though some others disagree.

The key is not finding the perfect drug/treatment. You need to find the perfect drug/treatment for you
True dat!!!!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:29 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,141 times
Well I learned a little something since starting this thread. I thought that side effects weren't an issue at all when deciding on an antidepressant, but I was wrong. I tried Paxil for about 10 days and experienced intense tiredness and gagging sensations. I switched to Zoloft and it's agreeing with me real nice. I've been on it for close to two weeks now and I think I'm feeling a little better already. It could be placebo but I'm feeling motivated to look for a better job, and I'm feeling like my college degree isn't as far off as I made it out to be. My doctor will be upping my dose to 100 mgs soon.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
i went to my doc last week and he put me on lexapro , took one at 10 pm , woke up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and had to hold on to the wall , i could barely stand, woke up the following morning and nearly fell while coming down the stairs, couldnt drive for several hours , might aswell have asked someone to shoot me with an elephant tranquiliser

Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 PM

360 posts, read 1,532,768 times
Thumbs up Irish Bob, try this...

Quote:
i went to my doc last week and he put me on lexapro , took one at 10 pm , woke up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and had to hold on to the wall , i could barely stand, woke up the following morning and nearly fell while coming down the stairs, couldnt drive for several hours , might aswell have asked someone to shoot me with an elephant tranquiliser
You might try splitting the pills in half (pill splitters are inexpensive). I assume you're on 10 mg? See how you tolerate 5 mg for a few days. My pharmacist told me to take Lexapro at night because it makes some people drowsy. I never felt drowsy, but I did get intense nausea with 10 mg at night. I switched to taking it with breakfast or lunch, and I felt somewhat better, but still dropped about 5 lb because I wasn't eating. When I called my MD to complain about the nausea, she told me I had to give myself a few weeks to adjust to the medicine before deciding it wasn't for me. After a month of on/off nausea, I dropped down to 5 mg/day and was so glad that I did. (I almost felt "too good" (i.e., unnaturally happy) on 10 mg... I am sensitive to meds, and like you, I don't like to take anything unless I am really in bad shape.) For me 5 mg was enough to get me through the day.

Good luck with it, and please don't feel like a failure. I suffered for over 2 years thinking surely I could overcome the depression, but after having talked to a couple of people who had taken anti-depressants with success, I decided to ask for help. I'm glad I did. 8 months later, I take 5 mg 3 times/week, and sometimes I even forget to take it and don't feel bad.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
wow,thats a extreme reaction..lol. Yes, they can make you feel a bit drowsy for the first weeks or so.
I am on 10 mgs and dont feel drowsy,only certain times of day,and I attribute that to just ,,well,
my age,or outright tiredness! It does get better!!! Oh, I agree with starting with 5 mgs,split it in half! 10 mgs right off the bat would have made me sleepy too!

Greenchili

Last edited by Greenchili; 08-23-2012 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: more info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health