Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:51 AM

154 posts, read 422,128 times

Advertisements

Well, we are finally able to move to FL in 6 more days. My husband is so emotional right now. He is excited but at the same time he is very worried about making the trip, if we will like the place we are going to rent. We have a very good landlady. We met her in OCT. How can I handle his meltdowns???? With a gentle hand or a stern hand. I just can't let his emotions drag me down. I am so excited I can't sleep. Can someone please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 04:04 AM

335 posts, read 334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
Well, we are finally able to move to FL in 6 more days. My husband is so emotional right now. He is excited but at the same time he is very worried about making the trip, if we will like the place we are going to rent. We have a very good landlady. We met her in OCT. How can I handle his meltdowns???? With a gentle hand or a stern hand. I just can't let his emotions drag me down. I am so excited I can't sleep. Can someone please help?
Get him some Valium for a few days.

Of course you or he may have a prejudice against such help, in which case you will just have to be patient.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:51 AM

Sounds like a good idea. Then maybe I won't have to throw him out of the truck or stuff him in the Uhaul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:46 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
Get him some Valium for a few days.

Of course you or he may have a prejudice against such help, in which case you will just have to be patient.
Or GABA, an amino acid supplement that does much the same thing.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
Is he the one who recently weaned off of pain meds or some other addictive prescriptions? If it is him I am thinking of, I don't know if valium would be a great idea. His doctor would be the one to ask.

Regarding dealing with his tantrums, I know how hard it is to let our own emotions be dependent on someone else's moods or behaviors. It takes practice, but maybe try a meditation/prayer/whatever focusing on accepting what you can't control (his mental state). Sounds kinda kooky, but it helps me sometimes.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Is he the one who recently weaned off of pain meds or some other addictive prescriptions? If it is him I am thinking of, I don't know if valium would be a great idea. His doctor would be the one to ask.

Regarding dealing with his tantrums, I know how hard it is to let our own emotions be dependent on someone else's moods or behaviors. It takes practice, but maybe try a meditation/prayer/whatever focusing on accepting what you can't control (his mental state). Sounds kinda kooky, but it helps me sometimes.

it is the same person.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post

This sounds like a more serious problem than you first indicated -- which was to the effect that it was only because of the move.

That being the case, I would endorse what is said above. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 AM

Yes, he is the one. He is almost off ALL pain pills. He is trying Aleive OTC. He will be ok when we get there. He is such a worrier. Thanks

Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Natural relief for tension and stress are these three teas:

Tension Tamer
Sleepytime
Nighty Night (really helps with insomnia)

There are also the Rescue Remedy drops you can put in his mouth...

There are others...make up a big batch of the tea, put some in a thermos and apply liberally to husband's gullet...just might help...naturally.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:01 AM

Let me endorse the idea of tea for composure, although I don't have any ideas about the benefits of any specific tea.

When someone brings you a cup of hot tea, you know that they made it for you. This is warming. Then you have to sit down and sip it -- you can't chug it down as just part of a busy day. You have to sit down, take a break from the hassles, and sip the tea. This is one of the ideas of the various tea ceremonies. It is a ritual -- in this case a relaxation ritual.

Of course, anything hot can do this, except perhaps coffee, which in our minds is a stimulant so that coffee rituals do something different. Soup is one of my favorites -- here in Vietnam they bring me Phu (pronounced "fuh"), which is a particularly time-consuming business to make if done right, and is not only delicious but also deeply gratifying. Of course home-made chicken soup, made with one's own stock, is also unbeatable.

I also know the wonders of hot chocolate, which seems to be an excellent ritual to use in calming children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health