Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 03:10 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,672 times

Advertisements

My first panic attack came when I was 19. Me and 4 other people were broken down in a dark, mountainous area, and 1 of the people started telling a story about how someone broken down and sitting in his car had been decapitated because a car had slammed into his...so of course then we stood outside the car, in the field. Then visions of Freddy and Jason and bears started going into my head, and boom...my first panic attack of sweats, dizziness and so on.
That 1 panic attacked developed into a year long panic attack. Almost every day I "developed" fast heartbeat, feeling that I was going to die any minute, quickness/shortness of breath, bouts of almost passing out...I even went for 2 kinds of heart tests because I honestly thought something was wrong (wasn't). My doctor prescribed me Xanax.
I am now 34. I get them here and there. One time I had them for a couple of days, but a bad event in my life had happened and at least I knew the reason for it. But mine sometimes come out for NO reason! Three times it happened to me while I was driving, and I thought I was going to pass out and actually had to pull over, and let me tell you how scary that was during one of the times as I had to quickly cross three lanes of traffic to pull up on the sidewalk with my two kids in the car.
Who else gets panic attacks for no reason at all?

Old 11-25-2006, 03:26 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,566 times
I've had only two and they occured back in 1995 when I lived in San Francisco and was working for a company on Pier 39 that manufactures jewelry. The owners are into the whole EST/Werner Erhard/Forum cult and try and high pressure all the employees to join it too. The terminology is all "EST" terminology and so is the thinking. Don't even try to say you've got a sore throat because that's just an excuse to them that you're holding back something you need to say! If you're not having the best of days, then you're "on it". Anyway, I was constantly interfered with by the owner's wife who micromanaged EVERYTHING and wouldn't let us do our jobs without hand-on input. I was sitting at an upstairs desk working out the schedule when she came up behind me and grabbed my hand holding a pencil and told me how to use a pencil properly!!!! If you weren't having a good day sales wise, then you had to call a woman in South Dakota, explain that you were having a bad sales day, and then take responsibility for it and make a commitment to improve the sales using mind over matter, etc. It was a bunch of bull**** and a constant battle to fight this cult crap off and I found myself one day coming into work suddenly feeling nauseous on the commuter train, that lead to cold, clammy sweating, then a feeling I might throw up, then I began to black out and my vision went dark and I had rivelets of sweat pouring down my face and over my body under my clothes. I had no clue what was going on and thought I'd suddenly become super sick. My heart was racing too. I sat down on my haunches in the crowd on the train and it began to clear up, but I was scared and got out of the train at the next stop and called work, told them I was sick, went on an opposite train home, and by the time the train was in my neighborhood, I was fine. I didn't get it. The second time it happened I put two and two together and quit the job. I've never had any since.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:32 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,082,895 times
Anxiety Attacks are sudden surges of overwhelming fear that comes without obvious reason. It is far more intense than feeling stressed out that most people experience.
Other emotional disorders are bipolar disorder, ocd,schizophrenia,adhd,phobias,alcohol abuse or depression. Anxiety attacks are the most common.

I'm 32 and had my first attack was at a grocery store. I was about 18. I had never heard of anxiety attacks, so I thought I was loosing my mind.
With no insurance I can't afford medication.I have to TRY to control it myself and it has been a hard month for me. I have had daily attacks for the last month. I try to hide them from my husband and kid's and that makes it harder. My husband is aware but not how often.
I think I am having a bad month because it has rained every day for a month here in Oregon with no sun and high winds make me nervous. I hope I come out of it soon, six more months of winter to go!
My dad, sister and my grandma have them too.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:48 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,489,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
Anxiety Attacks are sudden surges of overwhelming fear that comes without obvious reason. It is far more intense than feeling stressed out that most people experience.
Other emotional disorders are bipolar disorder, ocd,schizophrenia,adhd,phobias,alcohol abuse or depression. Anxiety attacks are the most common.

I'm 32 and had my first attack was at a grocery store. I was about 18. I had never heard of anxiety attacks, so I thought I was loosing my mind.
With no insurance I can't afford medication.I have to TRY to control it myself and it has been a hard month for me. I have had daily attacks for the last month. I try to hide them from my husband and kid's and that makes it harder. My husband is aware but not how often.
I think I am having a bad month because it has rained every day for a month here in Oregon with no sun and high winds make me nervous. I hope I come out of it soon, six more months of winter to go!
My dad, sister and my grandma have them too.
Whn I was 19, and then again when I was 27 were the only times I had it so bad that I went to get prescribed. Now whenever I have gotten one, I have had to control it myself to. My childen don't know either. But I do let my husband know. He has known for years. He is a big help. He sits with me when I need him to, lets me lie on him, and reassures me. He helps me to calm myself down, and remind me that it has happened before and everything went fine. Part of the anxiety/panic attacks is also feeling...alone, so I ask you to please talk to your husband and let him know how often you get them. He can probably help with them.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:15 PM

278 posts, read 802,445 times
I had a brief experience with panic attacks. It was during a time of really bad stress (death of a parent, other parent sick) and I had to handle all the legal decisions, medical decisions, paperwork, etc. During the crisis, I was very cool and calm, but afterword, I thought I was losing it. I wonder if panic attacks are like an overabundance of adrenaline stored in your system. It seems they are directly related to stressful situations.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:52 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,462 times
I've had three and they were all when I was in water. I had a bad experience a couple years ago in the ocean and I don't feel afraid of the ocean but I think the attacks stem from that experience. It feels like I'm being choked and can't breathe and that I'm going to die. Not a nice feeling.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:54 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,585 times
Quote:
But I do let my husband know. He has known for years. He is a big help. He sits with me when I need him to, lets me lie on him, and reassures me. He helps me to calm myself down, and remind me that it has happened before and everything went fine. Part of the anxiety/panic attacks is also feeling...alone, so I ask you to please talk to your husband and let him know how often you get them. He can probably help with them.
I usually tell my hubby too,if they are smaller attacks I handle them myself,ones where I think I'm on verge of having a stroke I say something,he will rub my back for a few minutes until they pass. For about a year I was getting them several times a day,the last 2-3 months they have been pretty rare,maybe 1 or 2 a month and mild.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:23 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,275 times
Wink Nuts???

As many of you know we are relocating! well Ijust went to the Doctor's the other day--they gave me an EKG and blood tests...I'm healthy as a horse...but still get these little flutters in my chest--I told my husband they were anxiety attacks--he thinks I'm nuts...but I have never in my life had these feelings before--I chalk it up to the stress of moving ect...I'm glad to read everyone else's thoughts about this...nice to know I'm not "nuts".

Old 11-26-2006, 08:11 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,321 times
According to my well read Kasiser Permanente Handbook
you are right on heathersmom. Good luck with your move.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:06 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,200,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
As many of you know we are relocating! well Ijust went to the Doctor's the other day--they gave me an EKG and blood tests...I'm healthy as a horse...but still get these little flutters in my chest--I told my husband they were anxiety attacks--he thinks I'm nuts...but I have never in my life had these feelings before--I chalk it up to the stress of moving ect...I'm glad to read everyone else's thoughts about this...nice to know I'm not "nuts".
The exact situation is happening to me.
We will be moving for the seventh time in six years this coming summer and the thought of it put me in the emergency room. Quickening of my heart beat, feeling like I couldn't catch my breath...Now I am on Prozac and anti-anxiety meds when needed. Having my teen age son and husband always arguing doesn't help. Having all this time to think about the move makes it worse. For the first time in my life I started to have drinks with dinner. Hopefully the Prozac will kick in soon. The weird part was I thought for sure that my blood pressure would be through the roof but it was 85/65!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health