Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 AM

14 posts, read 22,734 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've suffered from mental illness since the mid 80's. Have been on different anti-pscyhotic drugs till they found something that worked and got me stable. Was stable for long, long time and felt OK. Not 100% but hey, better than I did when I was going through the stress and terrible dealings with my abusive past, etc. Anyway, to make a long story short, I got off all my medications slowly about 3 months ago. I've lost 30 lbs and feel great about that, but have been feeling crappy and crying, emotional, etc ever since. I've tried everything to keep my mood up and the only thing that keeps me going is my hubby and dog.

I am having a hard time dealing with things even at work. Suffer from Fibro as well, so stopped taking all those med's too because I'm just fed up with taking so many medications. Want to feel free and all I take now is medication for my high blood pressure, my cholesterol and an anti-anxiety medication to help me relax at night since I have sleep apnea.

I am wondering is it better to be fat and sane or thinner and medicated? I know the fat and sane is what I should be but I hate the weight. Just need some advice on what people think of me being so fat. I hated it and loosing the weight has made me feel better but I know if I go back on the med's they cause weight gain. How do I handle this. Any ideas would help. Thanks

I'm not crazy, just more stress than I can handle and stress trickers the mental breakdowns I have. I have a job that is NOT busy enough to keep me from thinking and that doesn't help. Just started this job so I can't leave. Disability didn't pay me worth a flip so I had to return to work to help support myself and spouse. Spouse disabled but cannot collect disability. Long story but we tried. So it's me or nothing. Your sincere advice will be taken to heart. Please no bashing. I really don't need that. I here for honest help! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 01:53 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Healthy weight OR emotional stability? That seems like a lousy choice

There have been studies on the effects of the atypical anti-psychotics and weight gain. There are so many variables at play though, individual metabolism, other medications, dosage, activity level etc.

The studies do seem to indicate that there are some that are weight neutral, Geodon, Abilify, Lamictil and the new Saphris (Asenapine).

See if your psychiatrist is willing to work with you in finding one that has the least impact on your weight. As you know, this process is tedious and frustrating but may be worth it.

You sound like a brave and determined person and you deserve to enjoy a physically AND emotionally healthy life.

Good Luck!

Old 08-20-2012, 02:52 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Healthy weight OR emotional stability? That seems like a lousy choice

There have been studies on the effects of the atypical anti-psychotics and weight gain. There are so many variables at play though, individual metabolism, other medications, dosage, activity level etc.

The studies do seem to indicate that there are some that are weight neutral, Geodon, Abilify, Lamictil and the new Saphris (Asenapine).

See if your psychiatrist is willing to work with you in finding one that has the least impact on your weight. As you know, this process is tedious and frustrating but may be worth it.

You sound like a brave and determined person and you deserve to enjoy a physically AND emotionally healthy life.

Good Luck!
I have also read that some of the newer medications have many less side effects, like weight gain. My suggestion is to try a different medication and work extra hard on portion control, healthy eating and increasing your exercise. Hopefully, you will be successful in keeping the weight off and being happy.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embarrassed123 View Post
Hi all,

I've suffered from mental illness since the mid 80's. Have been on different anti-pscyhotic drugs till they found something that worked and got me stable. Was stable for long, long time and felt OK. Not 100% but hey, better than I did when I was going through the stress and terrible dealings with my abusive past, etc. Anyway, to make a long story short, I got off all my medications slowly about 3 months ago. I've lost 30 lbs and feel great about that, but have been feeling crappy and crying, emotional, etc ever since. I've tried everything to keep my mood up and the only thing that keeps me going is my hubby and dog.

I am having a hard time dealing with things even at work. Suffer from Fibro as well, so stopped taking all those med's too because I'm just fed up with taking so many medications. Want to feel free and all I take now is medication for my high blood pressure, my cholesterol and an anti-anxiety medication to help me relax at night since I have sleep apnea.

I am wondering is it better to be fat and sane or thinner and medicated? I know the fat and sane is what I should be but I hate the weight. Just need some advice on what people think of me being so fat. I hated it and loosing the weight has made me feel better but I know if I go back on the med's they cause weight gain. How do I handle this. Any ideas would help. Thanks

I'm not crazy, just more stress than I can handle and stress trickers the mental breakdowns I have. I have a job that is NOT busy enough to keep me from thinking and that doesn't help. Just started this job so I can't leave. Disability didn't pay me worth a flip so I had to return to work to help support myself and spouse. Spouse disabled but cannot collect disability. Long story but we tried. So it's me or nothing. Your sincere advice will be taken to heart. Please no bashing. I really don't need that. I here for honest help! Thanks again!
You are unfortunately making the mistake lots of folks make. You get stable because "they" the professionals....finally find the right meds and dosage then you stop taking them...usually because you feel fine. IT is a viciuos cycle for many folks, and heartbreaking for folks that care about them and want them to have the best life they possible can.
I would encourage you to get back on your routine...it is always best to have good health, mental and physical. You might lost weight, but what good is a perfect body if you feel like total crap.
You already know based on your post the best thing to do. Make the choice that will benefit you the most, and you and I know it isn't the "size" clothes, it is the person you are inside that really matters....and you may not know it, but your post undoubtedly will help others who are contemplating even taking meds for their mental health needs. Thank you for sharing the success possible. Many folks still don't get that mental health is a biological disorder, not a choice. I am hoping that you have a successful life.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:19 PM

14 posts, read 22,734 times
Thanks Jan,
I'm going to go back on my meds and continue to watch my portions like I've been doing and have been able to loose the weight. It's important that I don't drive my family crazy with my crying and all. Apparently all anti-depressants make you gain weight but I'm hoping with my portions I can control that. As for exercise, with my disability I am unable to exercise like a normal person so that makes it really hard. But I've got to do something.
Thanks for the advice guys. I truly appreciate it.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:04 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
One thing which helped me to lose weight, was to look at the "Calories from Fat" on the nutrition facts on food I was buying at the store.

My doctor said the "Fat Calories" or "Calories from Fat" should only be 25% of the Calories. (And don't pay attention to the calories.)

For example Bologna might be 76 calories and have calories from fat 57.
25% (or one quarter) of 76 is 19 fat calories. So that food has 3 times the calories from fat I should be eating (57)... And I should not eat that.

However no fat bologna has 22 calories and calories from fat 2.
25% (or one quarter) of 22 is 5 fat calories. So that food is ok for my diet.

Anyway by just doing that, I was able to eat all I wanted and still lose weight.

And some grocery stores have all sorts of low fat or no fat products. Other grocery stores do not.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 10,488 times
Just for physical health/weight, could I suggest you look into food allergies, such as gluten, wheat, ? Or dairy, sugar, colours etc. You might find deleting something from your diet helpful. On the internet there is a lot of information about it and you can find doctors trained in allergies to help diagnose it. Im not saying it will solve everything, just might help with the health, such as fibromyalgia. You could also go to a dietician, or naturopath for advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health