Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,930 times

Advertisements

Do you believe it is an epidemic ? Any family or friends you know
who are struggling with it ? Is it getting worse ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,307,939 times
Escapism is popular on so many levels. One of those levels is pills.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Dr. Drew of CNN said after Whitney Houston's death more people die from prescription pain killers than illegals one............stew on that, disgusting is what it is.

Every state need electronic prescription records like Colorado has to avoid doctor shopping for meds!

Watch 60 minutes on how an Ohio town turned into a presp. pain pill factory or how many drug shop for pain meds in Florida.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:19 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
It is *very* bad. Regular neighborhood doctors (the good guys) are losing their ability to prescribe pain medications due to "too many prescriptions" having been written in the past. The druggie "patients" come into the doctor's office and say anything and everything to get their pain medicine. Young naive doctors fall victim to these druggies, then suddenly find themselves in trouble.

And the pharmacies and their distributors are also now getting into trouble. The DEA is revoking licenses of pharmacy distributors who provide too many pain pills to certain pharmacies!

Then there are regular people like me. The dentist or doctor used to give me pain medicine when needed without me asking. Now I almost have to beg if it is a doctor/dentist who does not know me. They are worried about getting into trouble by writing too many pain prescriptions, so they are protecting themselves by writing fewer pain prescriptions.

They should have some sort of central record on how many pain prescriptions a particular person has received recently. Then they could look me up and see I have not had any pain medicine for two years - now have a very sore tooth - and yes really do need something! This is not a problem with my regular doctor as he can look at my record, just if I go to urgent care - all this medical privacy business, they can't access my records!

Here is a bit on the distributors getting in trouble...
DEA enforcement actions: a year in review - Lexology

Old 02-09-2013, 12:31 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Yes I do think it's a problem.

I know many people who medicate themselves with prescription drugs. Too many people pop a pill because they can't cope with life. It's shameful that doctors hand these out so freely, too.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:54 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
They want to make it seem such a problem that normal people without any addiction problems will have more controls on getting meds. Ya wanta talk about problems there are many, this isn't even close to the top of the list in this country.

So how about more regulations on alcohol? People have been medicating themselves for years with that drug. They want to go after someone start with booze. How many has it killed over the years, as well as innocent victims. The DEA doesn't have enough to do trying to keep real illegal drugs out of the country, now they have this new target. Witch hunts by the DEA. Ya, waste some more money, thats what they do best. Make it harder for those with real chronic pain issues. They don't care, unless they ended up one of those in extreme pain 24/7, then their entire perspective would change. I'm pretty tired of the nanny state way of thinking. Especially when the leaders are always such bloody hypocrites.

They should have a central record? Ok, so the hell with privacy huh? Well why not, its about gone anyway. As long as we're talking of central records, might as well have a registry for how many bottles of booze people buy, naw don't think that one would fly with folks in DC.

Last edited by todd00; 02-11-2013 at 09:07 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Well the "druggies" (I assume) strike again!

I went to Walmart to buy an electric shaver... Well these are now all locked up and only a manager has the key. And the manager was busy unlocking other things or whatever, so it took a long time before she got there. I asked why on earth shavers were locked up. She said people were stealing them!

Also I've had problems buying over the counter medications from time to time. I live in a rural area and just go shopping once a month, so I stock up on stuff I will need. In the spring I might buy two or three allergy products. Or cold / flu season buy a bunch of cough or cold medicine (along with chicken noodle soup).

Well recently they told me I could only buy a maximum of 2 of certain products because the "druggies" were using them to manufacture drugs. Or they will check my age because teenagers are abusing certain over the counter medications.

One day I went to buy allergy medicine and the boxes on the shelf were empty! A sign said they were now kept at the pharmacy due to theft - so I had to wait in the long pharmacy line to get my allergy medicine!!!

They have not placed a limit on "chicken noodle soup" as of yet.

Anyway these druggies are making life quite difficult for the rest of us.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,785 times
In my state you can no longer even by the OTC cold and flu medicines that actually work without a prescription from a doctor! I'm not going to pay my co-pay at the doctor to get prescribed something that I could pick up at the grocery store 2 years ago. In my state, people use these medications to cook meth. I don't know any more or less people who abuse prescription drugs now then did say 5 years ago. I think that it has always been that way, but it has been more publicized in recent years because people decided that they could make ALOT of money through prescription abuse. This goes all the way from the local dealer on the street to the pharmaceutical companies. I don't know how to fix it, but I do know that it can make life hell for those of us who actually might have some legitimate pain sometimes.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:09 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Comparing regulating powerful pain meds with alcohol is apples and oranges. All you have to do is check the OD rate of pain meds to that of alcohol and see it's not the same. A central database is only available to medical providers, doctors and pharmacists not any government official. I am no fan of the post 911 police state, but these are pragmatic, safety measures designed to protect the public. A database prevents people from drug shopping and abusing pain meds. Besides if you don't think the NSA can monitor every communication real time including skype you are fooling yourself.

The restriction of OTC allergy/cold pills to prevent meth cooks is nothing new. It's been going on for 5 plus years in most large states, not sure where some of you live in?

Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Well, the restriction on allergy medicine makes life somewhat difficult for those of us who really need them. I can see why the pharmacies have to be so careful because of drug addicts but it's not fair to the rest of us.

Last year I was so sick that my husband had to go to the drugstore to get the decongestant for me and they wouldn't let him purchase them. Maybe it was a prescription, I can't remember but he came back home without them. Seems he was required to show my drivers license. So they finally made an exception so that I didn't have to out in the cold when I was sick and they allowed him to take my driver's license and show it to them.

The drug addicts make me mad. Put them in jail or something so the rest of us can live our lives. Don't take my sudafed or clariton and turn it into meth or whatever it is they take. I need my pills every once in a while when I get sick, they do not need their stupid drugs and they knew about it before they ever got into drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health