Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 20 Million Americans are addicted to drugs or alcohol.
Seems lower than that. 1 10.00%
Seems higher than that. 9 90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As I said, those drugs I specified that are in that list, are not addictive drugs. Thyroid hormones don't do anything that creates an addiction. Neither do statins, or ACE inhibitors, or calcium channel blockers.

I mean if you're thinking "any substance that a person will feel the effects of, when introducing it to their system, and that can create a positive experience" - then you have to include food, water, and air as addictive drugs. And if you do that, then EVERYONE - 100% of the population worldwide, is addicted to drugs.
I don't think Statin drugs or diuretics would be considered habit forming or a drug one takes to change their mood or make them feel good. Do you get the idea you and I see addiction a little differently than someone else who is posting? An addiction is when someone depends on something to alter their feelings, personality and attitude. It is also something that is very hard to stop using. Since when are those on that list considered addictive drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
As I said, those drugs I specified that are in that list, are not addictive drugs. Thyroid hormones don't do anything that creates an addiction. Neither do statins, or ACE inhibitors, or calcium channel blockers.

I mean if you're thinking "any substance that a person will feel the effects of, when introducing it to their system, and that can create a positive experience" - then you have to include food, water, and air as addictive drugs. And if you do that, then EVERYONE - 100% of the population worldwide, is addicted to drugs.
Right. So a person who gets high on nothing would be an addict.

I learned how to get high on "Nothing." You just take a lot of it for a long time !

Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,136,516 times
It always amazes me how our government spends billions of dollars banning certain drugs while spending billions more producing others.

And here's another question: are more people addicted to stimulants or depressants or hallucinogenics? That would be interesting to know. I can tell you right now that it's not hallucinogenics. But as far as depressants or stimulants (such as caffeine), it's much harder to tell. There are an awful lot of people addicted to caffeine.

Last edited by Phil P; 04-06-2013 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 03:58 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
To a point, where they have a chemical imbalance and/or need help like AA or actual therapy.
I tend to believe more people abuse alcohol. Alcoholism is when one is physically addicted to it, and one will, actually, need detox.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:55 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I should think it is much higher.

A quick google shows:

Diuretics: 47.8 million Number of prescriptions in 2009:

Anti-diabetic: 48.3 million Number of prescriptions in 2009:

Antibiotic: 52.3 million Number of prescriptions in 2009:

Proton pump inhibitor: 53.4 million Number of prescriptions in 2009:

Calcium channel blocker: 57.2 million Number of prescriptions in 2009:

Thyroid hormone: 70.5 million Number of prescriptions in 2009:

ACE inhibitor: 87.4 million Number of prescriptions in 2009:

Statins: 94.1 million Number of prescriptions in 2009:

Opioid [Vicodin]: 131.2 million Number of prescriptions in 2009:

More Galleries | America’s 10 Most Popular Prescription Drugs | TIME.com

That is over 600 Million, and only for those 'most popular' drugs.

fyi...Vicodin is highly abused and addictive, but, that is the only one. I note that the Vicodan also has the biggest number of prescriptions as well.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
fyi...Vicodin is highly abused and addictive, but, that is the only one. I note that the Vicodan also has the biggest number of prescriptions as well.
Vicodin has a high number of prescriptions because I don't know of any doctor who would provide refills. And so - if you need a refill, you need a whole new prescription. I had to take it post surgery, and my doctor's personal policy was to only allow up to 12 pills per prescription - which would be a 3-day supply if you take 4 per day. No refills. I needed just another 2 days worth and he gave me a new scrip for another 10. So I got 4.5 days worth of vicodin, split up into two seperate prescriptions. One incident, two scrips. I imagine many *legitimate* patients have to deal with that, for the exact reason that it's addictive.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I know that almost every doctor I visit has a notice on not fillig claimed lose pain medicanes up in their waiting room. I asked my doctor and he said its comon to have mnay you would never guess always askig for pain refils noit needed by dianoses. The enws is filled with pain clinics beig busted especailly i Florida for fillighuge scripts even to out of staters.So I can believe it.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:31 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Very well.

I have had a bleeding duodenal ulcer for many years.

I must take a 'proton pump inhibitor'; or else I am in pain. My only other option of relieving this pain is to eat food every 2 hours. Eating gives my stomach material to digest other than itself. I used to wake up at night in pain, needing to eat to calm the burning pain of my stomach. But now I have a 'proton pump inhibitor'.

Without such, any sanity in my life would end. Imagine, for a moment, every 2 hours you need to eat a meal, to quench a burning FIRE in your gut.

This is not eating of hunger, nor of desire. This is eating to stop pain.

You can well say that proton pump inhibitors are not 'addictive'. I assure you that my sanity is addicted to taking proton pump inhibitors.

I am linked to this drug. It seems that I will be dependant on it for the rest of my life.

It is a drug. Do not kid yourself to thinking it is not a drug.

If you do not think this is addiction, you are out of your mind.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Vicodin has a high number of prescriptions because I don't know of any doctor who would provide refills. And so - if you need a refill, you need a whole new prescription. I had to take it post surgery, and my doctor's personal policy was to only allow up to 12 pills per prescription - which would be a 3-day supply if you take 4 per day. No refills. I needed just another 2 days worth and he gave me a new scrip for another 10. So I got 4.5 days worth of vicodin, split up into two seperate prescriptions. One incident, two scrips. I imagine many *legitimate* patients have to deal with that, for the exact reason that it's addictive.

Vicodin can be refilled five times within six months. It is a schedule III drug so that is legal only schedule II drugs are not allowed refills. That just happened to be the doctors own personal policy because Vicodin is such a highly abused and diverted drug as many doctors do provide refills or quanities that are much larger.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 PM

[quote=Submariner;29012011]Very well.

I have had a bleeding duodenal ulcer for many years.

I must take a 'proton pump inhibitor'; or else I am in pain. My only other option of relieving this pain is to eat food every 2 hours. Eating gives my stomach material to digest other than itself. I used to wake up at night in pain, needing to eat to calm the burning pain of my stomach. But now I have a 'proton pump inhibitor'.

Without such, any sanity in my life would end. Imagine, for a moment, every 2 hours you need to eat a meal, to quench a burning FIRE in your gut.

This is not eating of hunger, nor of desire. This is eating to stop pain.

You can well say that proton pump inhibitors are not 'addictive'. I assure you that my sanity is addicted to taking proton pump inhibitors.

I am linked to this drug. It seems that I will be dependant on it for the rest of my life.

You are not addicted to it the drug is merely fixing your symptoms. People abuse Vicodin for instance not because they are in pain, but, because they enjoy the euphoric feeling. They have no reason at all to be taking thse medications, but, seek it out regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health