Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:06 PM

64 posts, read 376,590 times

Advertisements

It seems like a good place to start. So I'm here and I need a Friend to talk to, mainly because I don't have any friends. I'm depressed, on medication, the medication isn't working, I feel despair, sadness, and thought perhaps what I need is a good friend to talk to. Where do you go to find one? I came here.
I don't know, maybe I'm taking a longshot here, but I thought it would be a good place to start, and than get into some good discussions here also regarding medication, and/or therapy, or side effects of meds, and connect with others who may be going thru the same thing. I hope I will hear from some of you.
thanks in advance.
- Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 04:10 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Tell us a bit about yourself. How old are you? What sorts of things do you like to do (sports, hobbies, etc.)? Are you in school? If you work, what kind of job do you have?

Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 PM

64 posts, read 376,590 times
I am 58. I am male. I am on disability. Hobbies? Yes, music, opera, growing orchids, my dogs. Some nice things in my life except good people, and a Friend.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:19 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Personally, I have found that anti-depressants don't work for me, so I don't take them. (I'm not encouraging anyone else do that, btw.)

What kind of dogs do you have? Oh, duh. Probably pugs. LOL Pets can be fantastic companions. My daughter's two have been keeping me entertained . . . ah . . . when they aren't sleeping!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
My hobby is growing orchids, I am in Florida, so I can leave them outside all year, I just love to see them hanging in my trees. I belong to a local club, perhaps that would be an option for you, met some real nice people there. Also have two little Shih Tzu's...with them, I may be alone, but never lonely.

I have some of my orchids posted on my profile, you will probably recognize that I love Vanda's.

There are many nice forums here on CD, you may want to research some of the other options.

Keep reaching out, it will help.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugDaddyNJ View Post
I am 58. I am male. I am on disability. Hobbies? Yes, music, opera, growing orchids, my dogs. Some nice things in my life except good people, and a Friend.
I will gab, online, about your dogs. I have a neurotic poodle mix named Abbie. Post pics of your dogs, please!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Two years ago my life and world fell apart. I found this mental health forum and it has been a Godsend! Just reading other's problems makes me realize I am not alone in my pain. This by no means makes me happy, but it did help with my overall feeling of aloneness and despair. I am doing much better now that time has passed, but I still have "down" days. I am a Christian, so God gets the credit for my tribulation and healing. My Christian friends and my fellow C-Ders on the Mental Health forum get credit for my healing as well. Please stay here (on CD and this forum) and post when necessary, take advantage of those above who have so kindly offered to befriend you, and get subscribed to other forums on CD, you will have a reason to "forget" your pain, because it is FUN to participate in all kinds of forums. My CD friends are wonderful, on all the forums I use. And just know, you can ALWAYS talk to God.

Matthew 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you".

Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
I'm 58, female, and also grow orchids, love music and opera, and have a dog. You sound like you have some great interests. Have you gotten involved with any local orchid societies? In one area I lived, there was a pug Meetup group that gathered every month. I didn't have a pug, but I read about the group and there were usually dozens of people at the Meetups. I think (and someone else probably knows) that there's some sort of central Meetup website so you might be able to locate one that way. Pugs do have their devotees.

Check out the gardening and pets forums here. The music forum I found tends to be mostly populated by pop and country music lovers. Maybe you should see about starting an opera subforum?

Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Hi, PugDaddyNJ, everyone needs friends, its even harder for those with depression to get out and meet people and to find those that are willing to be more than just fair weather friends, on or offline. The problem with the music forum is its more about posting music than chatting. I also have animals, stray cats and dogs I've found over the years. Certainly their company helps but it would be nice if they were like Mister Ed. I'm on here a lot, so drop me a line if ya feel like it.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
It can be tough just being alone, without depression. While reaching out here will give you an outlet, and put you in contact with folks, similar to yourself, I am not sure how much luck you might have finding a "friend". To me, a friend is someone that one gets face time with, and there is a trust and affection involved. True friends are a precious thing. I have but one. I would be lost without her, and the feelings she woke up in me, after a long bout with bitterness and grief, makes me willing to give my life for her.

Many of us here are totally willing to listen, and offer support even. However, it sounds, to me, as if you would benefit, greatly, from meeting someone who can be a true friend. Another poster mentioned groups that stimulate common interest. That is a good place to start. Oh, I know, all to well, how hard it can be to make that step, and venture forth.

Being alone a lot, can put one in "security blanket" mode, and it can be hard to break the cycle. I was very fortunate, in my current relationship, in that we have actually known each other for a LONG time, but it was common interest and experiences, that drew us together.

I am not offering "advice" , per se, so much as an understanding of what you're experiencing. If you choose to sally forth, and take a gander at things, I will say this: The experience can be very rewarding. Also remember a couple, basic principals. 1: A person who is looking for something, does not travel fast. 2: Trust is earned, and is more precious than all the gold in the world. And 3: A true friend is to be treasured, and it takes time to build a friendship. However, it is worth any and all sacrifice and effort it takes, to build. Getting there is half the fun.

I hope my small contribution, here, has helped some. You are not alone in your feelings, and everbody needs somebody...sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health