Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM

134 posts, read 348,467 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I had a weird experience recently when visiting a friend of mine back home. About 3 months ago she went to the hospital on an emergency basis for a severe asthma attack coupled with respiratory infection, it was so bad they actually induced her into a coma for 36 hours to get all the stuff out. Anyway I went to see her recently when I was back in town and now she has this weird thing she developed and her family says she has been doing it ever since that trip to the hospital, if your not engaging her and everythings quiet she mumbles to herself and makes nasty little comments things like "wish you wouldn't have even F****n come here" regarding me but then if you call her out on it she acts totally surprised and says "I never said anything like that".

Long story short my question is just in general seeking common opinion to see if anyone else has had this happen to a family or friend its almost like she developed schizophrenia after that trip to the ER and she was perfectly normal before then, her family again says since she came home she frequently talks quietly to herself mostly humming and mumbling then throws in some not so nice things in there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,292,211 times
I wonder if her brain was deprived of oxygen and that caused a bit of brain damage?

Note I do think these sorts of things about my best friends (sometimes), however I don't say those thoughts out loud.

That would be terrible if suddenly my every thought came out of my mouth!!! I wouldn't have any friends left.

I don't know if the following is at all related to what your friend is doing, but might be interesting to read and follow the links...
Coprolalia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,130 times
Sounds like she has been affected by anesthesia or the drugs that induced the coma. I would suggest she return to the hospital with family and share concerns. It is not enough to say, 'but we cured you,' because she clearly got something else out of it that had a negative outcome.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
I'd be afraid to take her back to the hospital...she could end up worse.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,905,067 times
How old is she?

What medications is she on now?

Old 07-23-2013, 05:00 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
How old is she?

What medications is she on now?
I was wondering that too. It sounded like she was still living at home with her parents and I'm wondering if they have discussed this with the doctor. Maybe the incident at the hospital wasn't exactly as described to the OP, actually that is my best guess that something else was going on that the family wants to keep secret. If I were the OP and someone was saying they wished I had not come, I would probably start bowing out of that situation.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys, shes 28 and actually lives alone but after this trip to the hospital her parents are pretty much around her 24/7 as far as the experience she had in the hospital all I have to go on is what her parents told me happened as I don't live there anymore and by the time I managed to get a flight back and see her she was already released as is typical with HMO's these days she was pretty much booted out of the hospital not long after her induced coma was over.

Appreciate all the insight here my theory is also kind of leaning towards some kind of brain damage that would make her say what a lot of us think in our head but would never actually say out loud.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 PM

Oh and as far as medications according to her parents the ER doctor put her on klonopin (sp?)

Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan757vb View Post
Thanks for all the responses guys, shes 28 and actually lives alone but after this trip to the hospital her parents are pretty much around her 24/7 as far as the experience she had in the hospital all I have to go on is what her parents told me happened as I don't live there anymore and by the time I managed to get a flight back and see her she was already released as is typical with HMO's these days she was pretty much booted out of the hospital not long after her induced coma was over.

Appreciate all the insight here my theory is also kind of leaning towards some kind of brain damage that would make her say what a lot of us think in our head but would never actually say out loud.
Glad she's home...I'm veeery sorry this happened to your sister, yet still, being unable to keep yourself from speaking your true feelings about things is not so bad, even if most others wouldn't...at least you know where you stand...do you think she will be able to remain in a home of her own still?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Glad she's home...I'm veeery sorry this happened to your sister, yet still, being unable to keep yourself from speaking your true feelings about things is not so bad, even if most others wouldn't...at least you know where you stand...do you think she will be able to remain in a home of her own still?
Well besides this little issue she has now she seems to be able to take care of herself just as well as before, but it does make me wonder what will happen to her when she returns to work eventually and coworkers and others start hearing this new habit. Basically yes she should be able to be alone again although she has very protective parents so they may try to stop her from being totally alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health