Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 04:37 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times

Advertisements

Do you mean Schizophrenia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 07:33 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I had not thought of that. And yet, he could go in and out of this at will, which is strange about it too. Like after we watched him thru the window, where he couldn't see us, and then when we went out of the shop and collected him, he seemed fine. And as long as anyone is talking to him he seems fine, but then when he's alone though in public view, he just starts right in talking to himself.

So, I don't know--I looked up psychophrenia, but that didn't really seem to fit either, but then like you said, he may have been on meds while we dated and gone off and that may have precipitated the comment that caused me to break up with him.
With my nephew, before meds, if he was actively engaged, he didn't display the behavior, or at least not much. We could go to the store and he'd just look distracted. But then, if he was not engaged with anyone in reality, he'd slip into his other world and appear not to see anything else at all.

Even on meds, there are times there is something going on behind but its like he is watching a movie in the background and sort of half paying attention.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,291 times
My husband does this and has done it for 20 years. I didn't think anything of it until this year. I am taking him to get evaluated soon by a psychiatrist. He injured his back 13 years ago and could never find a full time job again, I was only going to get the doctor to check h for A.D.D and aspergers but I am going to let them know he talks to himself a lot, He butt dialed me recently and had a full conversation with himself. He said he was venting.I am really worried now.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I'm looking these up soon. Perhaps the PD, since he has features of so many other ones too.

I'm talking about a man who stood out on a street corner in broad daylight and talked with gestures, and then seemed to be listening to someone--for 20 minutes. He even laughed when he was listening, as if he were holding a real conversation with someone else. I've been known to make comments to myself on occasion, like "Oh snap, you forgot again, didn't you?" But, I would never do this in public unless someone else were there and I was using it to be funny. I think you all know what I mean. And you say that you sometimes talk to yourself, but probably not in public? What I witnessed was creepy scary and I was really glad that I'd broken up with him already at that point and then he kept following me to my dance group and someone there saw him talking to himself. Thankfully he wasn't there this past Saturday and I'm hoping he got bored and went on to someone else.

When I was dating him he seemed delightfully eccentric and seemed to have a lot on the ball--was handsome, intelligent, had a good career. Then he said something outrageous enough for me to break up with him and after the breakup he started acting plumb crazy. I know why he wanted to get married so quick--he wanted to be able to drop the act.
My nephew is diagnosed with that. He's been acting increasingly distant and agressing with some unseen other. He finally admitted that for over a year he has not taken any meds. He said a voice told him not to, to throw them away. So he's gone to the doctor monthly and then on the way out tossed them in someone's trash. They didn't quite make him 'normal' so until he got so bad we thought maybe he was skipping them on and off.

He's said to be back on them, but he does seem less 'elsewhere'. But someone needs to watch closely, and not assume. I didn't know he'd gotten as bad until he gave me a ride to the vet with the dog. He then sat in the car and honked the horn and yelled at invisible people, and I did ride back with him but called his mom after and we discussed.

What I meant by having this conversation with yourself is a kind of questioning our own cherished preferences. If I have something I have to decide, but don't want to, I make it into a debate. I'll write it sometimes. I talk about the prefered idea which is more comfortable to me, and then that other 'voice' which knows when what needs to be. Its how I've learned to find them and seperate them, and listen to the part I really don't want to. It grew out of the way I kept a journel for years. Its not always easy to see that 'other side' of a dilema, especially when its all about change, and I find that by giving both a voice, I can look and see a much better balanced decision out of it, not feeding my old inner fears which don't ever seem to want to dissapear.

We've all got these little warning 'voices' which try to tell us how to shut down the fears and make realistic decisions, and we need them. It's way of getting past the fears. I've had severe health issues and other hard dealings and limits I don't like, and like anyone who'd been a 'survivor' (mine was an illness) I can go there too, where fear is banished and you have just the reality, even if you don't like it. It has a great clarity and keeps one from being run by fears which often no longer even apply but we never learned to let them go.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
I'm looking these up soon. Perhaps the PD, since he has features of so many other ones too.

I'm talking about a man who stood out on a street corner in broad daylight and talked with gestures, and then seemed to be listening to someone--for 20 minutes. He even laughed when he was listening, as if he were holding a real conversation with someone else. I've been known to make comments to myself on occasion, like "Oh snap, you forgot again, didn't you?" But, I would never do this in public unless someone else were there and I was using it to be funny. I think you all know what I mean. And you say that you sometimes talk to yourself, but probably not in public? What I witnessed was creepy scary and I was really glad that I'd broken up with him already at that point and then he kept following me to my dance group and someone there saw him talking to himself. Thankfully he wasn't there this past Saturday and I'm hoping he got bored and went on to someone else.

When I was dating him he seemed delightfully eccentric and seemed to have a lot on the ball--was handsome, intelligent, had a good career. Then he said something outrageous enough for me to break up with him and after the breakup he started acting plumb crazy. I know why he wanted to get married so quick--he wanted to be able to drop the act.
Schizophrenic. Bi-polar with psychosis. Drugs.

I talk to objects. I am rather sure people know that I am doing so. And they don't talk back, so yes, the distinction you are making is very clear!

Old 08-18-2017, 07:28 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My nephew is diagnosed with that. He's been acting increasingly distant and .... He finally admitted that for over a year he has not taken any meds. He said a voice told him not to, to throw them away. So he's gone to the doctor...
Gosh, that sounds like one of our relatives. There is some discussion about whether he may have schizotypal personality disorder (different than schizoid personality disorder), which includes ideas of reference, as opposed to delusions of reference, in the DSM-V.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:16 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
I am seventy-nine and have talked to myself as long as I can remember. I am an only child, and I have had other only children say that they have done and do the same. Perhaps we deserve a string of initials to be identified by.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Sadly, this sounds very much like my nephew. He also skips his medicine. He says it bothers him physically, and I have the feeling the doctor just ignores it. But he's disconnected from the rest of the world when he's not. He also gets angry and doesn't do anything but you want to stay away. His mom and a friend recently took him into the clinic and he was requried to stay the night and another day for stabilizing him.

But their household virtually revolves around how is or isn't doing. I have got some rides from him, but even when he's mostly okay, there is this sense that his body is there but his mind is somewhere else. It's cost his mom a lot too, and it feels like she just wishes it was over. She's often depressed, or just wishes she could get away. I don't blame her.

He's not the only person in that state I've known, and the bad part is they are OFTEN not willing to cooperate and very wearying. I'm told if I need a ride, just ask, but too many rides I've sat there just hoping we get there soon and how else I could get home.

Lately he's had voices in his head telling him things and I really feel for his mom who has her own medical problems.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am seventy-nine and have talked to myself as long as I can remember. I am an only child, and I have had other only children say that they have done and do the same. Perhaps we deserve a string of initials to be identified by.
I'm bipolar, type 2, and get depressed, but I think the way I discuss things with myself is not part of that. It's very deliberate. I like to intellectually break things down and see what they're made of, and see what causes something notable might grow from. I can do this with 'issues' inside me I don't choose to share too, but it removes the emotional part. I know a lot of people who do talk to themselves, and are only holding together a couple of sides of who they are.

It can help keep you within limits too, like when you really really really want that stuff, but you already know there is this budget, and there's no room. Sometimes lecturing yourself reminds you that there is a reason for making rules for yourself.

People who really do have other people in their head who tell them things is entierly another kettle of psych diagnosis.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I'm merely 71 but also an only child, as was my wife. She often talked to herself and said she always has. I recall sometimes talking to myself as a child. My wife and I talked to one another all the time for over 20 years but now that she recently passed away I still talk to her often. I also talk to myself now and I talk to our cat. If I didn't talk to the three of us it would be too damn quiet around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health