Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 06:34 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times

Advertisements

Here I am at 27 - some would say with my whole life ahead of me and wonderful resources to work with, but am seriously considering suicide due to career failure.

I was a high-achieving student who could have done much more. My parents were never rich, but there was always work and I assumed I could do roughly as well, so I stayed close to home during college. I never had any dreams of going to an investment bank from my economics program, but figured I could maybe get a corporate finance or financial advisor trainee position. Due to the collapse of the economy and growing up in a poor area, I've been stuck in various call centers since graduation in 2010

I seem to have no hope of doing better. The only call backs I am getting are for more call center work, and my career hopes have ended. My income has been cut in half from where it was this time last year because I moved back to TN. I've held four jobs in under a year and have fallen down the income ladder each time. I have no health insurance (was canceled due to ACA and won't have any until ACA kicks in Jan 1), no funds to move to a better area, no relationship, and don't make enough to even live on my own. At this point, I see no logical point in continuing on. I nearly get physical sick when the phone rings at work fifty plus times a day, having to provide an answer immediately to every solution . I have self-certified and tried educating myself. to change careers, but it hasn't helped. I have no way to go back to school to retrain because I have to work full time to pay my bills. It is a vicious circle of underemployment and waning hopes where suicide is a preferable option.

What's sad is that I used to have hope and believe in myself. I used to believe that if I worked hard, educated myself, and put forth an effort that I could end up with a job I could tolerate, and that it was possible to have a second chance. With the current economic situation, there are no second chances and there is no hope.

At this point, I have two options as I can barely stand one more day. 1) death 2) simply walk away, drive to a state with a better job market immediately, and pray I get something better while I find a shelter. If I can't do better, death is always an option.

It is awful that our economy has gotten to the point where simply ending the pain from hopelessness and chronic un/underemployment through death is preferable to pressing on, because all the avenues to self-improvements are dead ends.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:41 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Here I am at 27 - some would say with my whole life ahead of me and wonderful resources to work with, but am seriously considering suicide due to career failure.

I was a high-achieving student who could have done much more. My parents were never rich, but there was always work and I assumed I could do roughly as well, so I stayed close to home during college. I never had any dreams of going to an investment bank from my economics program, but figured I could maybe get a corporate finance or financial advisor trainee position. Due to the collapse of the economy and growing up in a poor area, I've been stuck in various call centers since graduation in 2010

I seem to have no hope of doing better. The only call backs I am getting are for more call center work, and my career hopes have ended. My income has been cut in half from where it was this time last year because I moved back to TN. I've held four jobs in under a year and have fallen down the income ladder each time. I have no health insurance (was canceled due to ACA and won't have any until ACA kicks in Jan 1), no funds to move to a better area, no relationship, and don't make enough to even live on my own. At this point, I see no logical point in continuing on. I nearly get physical sick when the phone rings at work fifty plus times a day, having to provide an answer immediately to every solution . I have self-certified and tried educating myself. to change careers, but it hasn't helped. I have no way to go back to school to retrain because I have to work full time to pay my bills. It is a vicious circle of underemployment and waning hopes where suicide is a preferable option.

What's sad is that I used to have hope and believe in myself. I used to believe that if I worked hard, educated myself, and put forth an effort that I could end up with a job I could tolerate, and that it was possible to have a second chance. With the current economic situation, there are no second chances and there is no hope.

At this point, I have two options as I can barely stand one more day. 1) death 2) simply walk away, drive to a state with a better job market immediately, and pray I get something better while I find a shelter. If I can't do better, death is always an option.

It is awful that our economy has gotten to the point where simply ending the pain from hopelessness and chronic un/underemployment through death is preferable to pressing on, because all the avenues to self-improvements are dead ends.

Look, I realize you are miserable, but SUICIDE IS A PERMANENT SOLUTION TO A TEMPORARY PROBLEM - don't do it

Are you really so selfish and self involved that you would cause those who love you such incredibly intense pain and grief just because you are unhappy with your job prospects??

Come on now!

Suck it up dude. Time to grow up and learn to cope with life.

If you can't do that on your own (sometimes we all need a little help!), then get yourself to a therapist right away.

You DO NOT have to be this miserable - but that's YOUR choice

Old 11-21-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Look, I realize you are miserable, but SUICIDE IS A PERMANENT SOLUTION TO A TEMPORARY PROBLEM - don't do it

Are you really so selfish and self involved that you would cause those who love you such incredibly intense pain and grief just because you are unhappy with your job prospects??

Come on now!

Suck it up dude. Time to grow up and learn to cope with life.

If you can't do that on your own (sometimes we all need a little help!), then get yourself to a therapist right away.

You DO NOT have to be this miserable - but that's YOUR choice
If there was hope of improvement, no one would consider suicide, but after years of no improvement and all avenues closed, that's why it's considered. The job problems are not temporary for those of us at the bottom - it is permanent.

Also, I have no health insurance to cover therapy and can't afford it. Your comments are not helpful.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:18 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,097 times
Quote:

1. You are not alive for the reason of making money.
2. I am starting to believe those of us who cannot get a 'good job' are being protected in some way.
3. You seem really smart. Figure out what your gifts are and offer them in some way. In other words, create your own work. I am in the process of this right now and am convinced it is the only way to survive in this world we live in (are stuck in?)
4. Have you considered an intentional community? I have...if I weren't married to someone who is horrified at the though, I'd do it in a second. Either that or teach English overseas somewhere.

THERE IS ALWAYS AN OPTION. Try to keep saying to yourself "Everything that is happening is supposed to be happening." It is my mantra lately.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
If there was hope of improvement, no one would consider suicide, but after years of no improvement and all avenues closed, that's why it's considered. The job problems are not temporary for those of us at the bottom - it is permanent.

Also, I have no health insurance to cover therapy and can't afford it. Your comments are not helpful.
My comments are not CONVENIENT, but they are extremely true and therefore helpful.

Suicide is the height of selfishness in situations like yours.

I am very sorry for your disappointments and your pain.

But you are very immature if you lack better coping skills than this.

Every community over a certain population has some kind of county mental health services.

In addition, most cities have a United Way office.

Both of these places are there to help people like you without insurance.

Have you called them?

Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My comments are not CONVENIENT, but they are extremely true and therefore helpful.

Suicide is the height of selfishness in situations like yours.

I am very sorry for your disappointments and your pain.

But you are very immature if you lack better coping skills than this.

Every community over a certain population has some kind of county mental health services.

In addition, most cities have a United Way office.

Both of these places are there to help people like you without insurance.

Have you called them?
How is a charity going to help in providing gainful, normal employment? This is not an issue with needing psychiatric care - it is brought on by financial and professional despair and the fix can only come from these realms. Until these problems are fixed, you're only masking the problems.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
How is a charity going to help in providing gainful, normal employment? This is not an issue with needing psychiatric care - it is brought on by financial and professional despair and the fix can only come from these realms. Until these problems are fixed, you're only masking the problems.
I'm not doing anything other than trying to offer you useful suggestions for how to save your life.

Suicide as an answer to unemployment is like trying to get rid of an ant with a rocket grenade.

Only a person with real emotional issues would even consider suicide in your situation. Call the United Way or go to your local mental health office - they can help people who have no insurance be seen by a mental health professional.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Thread closed. Suicide is a serious mental health problem. Cannot be treated effectively on a forum.
Please seek treatment or call a suicide hotline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health