Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:25 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus918 View Post
For the sake of argument, let's assume that she said
So you're just making things up as you go?

Quote:
Its not like I'm going to subpoena anyone to testify in court. SMH...
It's you that's framing a scenario as though you might get in trouble for disclosing confidential information. Your posts sound trollish but I'll try to take them at face value provided you state outright what you know and don't know about the situation.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 12-07-2013 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,535 times
Quote:
If you can't answer the question based on the information provided, then please move on yourself. I am actually interested in an answer based on the parameters of my question and not the ramblings of someone that likes to hear themselves talk.
No one can form a valid opinion on your question, without knowing exactly what was said in the session.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:37 AM

80 posts, read 113,531 times
Lovesmountains, thank you for at least answering my question!

Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 AM

80 posts, read 113,531 times
Either it is unethical or it isn't, I have my opinion, but I am not an expert on psychologist ethics so that is why I came here to try to learn something. To me the situation is similar to going to your regular doctor for a broken bone and having him tell you that you to change the car you are driving and get one safer. That may be good advice, but wholly irrelevant to the reason for going to the doctor in the first place. The difference is that given the role that a psychologist plays in altering your thought processes, it seems ethically suspect to suggest changing a behavior that does not cause a real problem only because it fits the psychologist's religious beliefs. I am not going to file a complaint against her, but I did learn a lesson from this however. If I ever go to a counselor/therapist again, I will be sure to lay out MY expectations for THEIR behavior from the beginning.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:17 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
I will give you a few hypotheticals:

The mood disorder would continue for the couple, because they are such a poor match.

The therapist was engaged in a paradoxical intervention, and the results provided the foreseeable conclusion.

The intervention provided, good or bad, emptied them from the caseload, and that was the true objective of the clinician.

There could have been any of a number of other scenarios, but these stand out as possibilities. Unethical? Everything was done with a plan and a purpose and it met the objectives identified. This treatment plan could have worked for everyone as desired.

I put the intentional emphasis of mood disorder for a couple, as opposed to a person, because some people together just aren't right. Some couples create asthma, headaches, ED, etc. Take one out of the frame and all is well.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
god bless therapists, so far in my life 4 have told me a break up would be good. they were right every time.
richer healther and having better relationships than ever. breakup is important part of developing.
u dont want to do it every week mind u, but doormating does not morally enrich the foot wiper, stop it.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Either it is unethical or it isn't, I have my opinion, but I am not an expert on psychologist ethics so that is why I came here to try to learn something. To me the situation is similar to going to your regular doctor for a broken bone and having him tell you that you to change the car you are driving and get one safer. That may be good advice, but wholly irrelevant to the reason for going to the doctor in the first place. The difference is that given the role that a psychologist plays in altering your thought processes, it seems ethically suspect to suggest changing a behavior that does not cause a real problem only because it fits the psychologist's religious beliefs. I am not going to file a complaint against her, but I did learn a lesson from this however. If I ever go to a counselor/therapist again, I will be sure to lay out MY expectations for THEIR behavior from the beginning.
Well enough, but make sure that you are prepared for their professional opinion, even if you don't agree with it. The truth hurts sometimes.

Doesn't sound like the therapist in this case fell below the standard of care here in providing her professional opinion based on the problem as she saw it. Nothing unethical here in exercising her professional judgment given what was presented to her, of which we here are not entirely privy to.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:28 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
It's different from the broken bone scenario in that you go to a therapist with what's called "the presenting problem", which is rarely the actual main problem of the patient. A broken bone doesn't require the peeling of layers that is a basic part of what therapy is. Rarely will a therapist offer outright advice. It's just not what therapy entails.

This doesn't rule out the fact that there are still incompetent or unethical therapists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health