Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 AM

676 posts, read 937,341 times

Advertisements

Please help, my husband is in the hospital mental floor. They think it may be psychotic depression. Has anyone had this or know someone that has. Please answer soon. He wants to sigh out AMA and I am afraid to be here with him if that is what it is because he was very very nasty to me yesterday and that is just not him. please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 11:37 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Please help, my husband is in the hospital mental floor. They think it may be psychotic depression. Has anyone had this or know someone that has. Please answer soon. He wants to sigh out AMA and I am afraid to be here with him if that is what it is because he was very very nasty to me yesterday and that is just not him. please help
If he was acting very nasty and was bad enough to be admitted to a mental hospital, why would you want to check him out AMA? It sounds like the man needs help and possibly medication. Allow the hospital to at least evaluate him and find out what is going on and see if they can help him. If you try to check him out too quick and he is deemed a danger to himself or others they will put him on a 72 hr. hold and you won't be able to check him out.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:04 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
I don't think she wanted to check him out but that he wanted to check himself out and she didn't want to be around him if he did.
It's probably past the time to be useful now....not that I had any suggestions that would have been legal or useful anyway... but can say that episode brought on my something like alcohol ( a possibility in this case) generally dissipate and he'll just go back to being his usual unwanted self until the potential next time.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:30 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,427,445 times
I'm not sure about the term, but there are times when depression can have psychotic features. If he is in the hospital voluntarily (ie, he was not admitted on papers from a magistrate) he can check out any time he wants to. If I were the OP, I certainly be clear about what will not be tolerated at home. You as the spouse can say, "You are sick. Take your medicine or you can live somewhere else until you do."

Old 12-14-2013, 08:17 AM

My husband did come home. They released him with major depression, generalized anxiety and OCD. I never thought about OCD but now that I do I'm sure they are correct. Yes, I do want him to live somewhere else but we cannot afford to live apart and that is the sad part. He has no relatives. He would leave but he is the type of person to just grab his jacket with no thought of his meds, money, until he got down the road and thought about it a little. I don't want him dead I just want him to go away. It's over. 43 years. Thank you Sue at the Rock.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:21 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,059,272 times
So he left AMA (Against Medical Advice), indicating the medical staff have determined he is not a danger to himself or others.

A diagnosis of Major Depression with Psychotic Features can be successfully treated with medication and therapy.
A diagnosis of OCD can be more challenging.

You can't afford to live apart.
You just want him to go away.

Have you thought about getting help?

Old 12-14-2013, 09:20 PM

Like marriage counseling? We would go for that and may ask his therapist about who to go to or if she does this. It just seems to take forever to get anywhere. Impossible to get a weekly appt. I know these things take time but I feel you can regress if you don't have close follow up appts.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:25 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
My husband did come home. They released him with major depression, generalized anxiety and OCD. I never thought about OCD but now that I do I'm sure they are correct. Yes, I do want him to live somewhere else but we cannot afford to live apart and that is the sad part. He has no relatives. He would leave but he is the type of person to just grab his jacket with no thought of his meds, money, until he got down the road and thought about it a little. I don't want him dead I just want him to go away. It's over. 43 years. Thank you Sue at the Rock.
tarajane, I'm so sorry for what you and your husband are dealing with.

Surely when they released him from the hospital they gave him an info sheet of people to contact for some outpatient help?

If not, on Monday morning call the hospital where he was admitted and ask them for advice on where to seek further treatment for him.

He needs to be medicated and any medication has to be monitored, so surely there is a doctor or clinic they advised him to see.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,059,272 times
Quote:
Like marriage counseling? We would go for that and may ask his therapist about who to go to or if she does this. It just seems to take forever to get anywhere. Impossible to get a weekly appt. I know these things take time but I feel you can regress if you don't have close follow up appts.
His therapist is a good place to start, but remember, she is his therapist.

You are not only dealing with his illnesses but your relationship with him. If she has a good therapeutic relationship with him your issues with him should not complicate their relationship. Ask her for a referral. Or ask his prescribing psychiatrist for a referral to a counselor. You need someone to help you sort out your issues privately too.

You've been with this guy for 43 years? You probably have lots of baggage wrapped up in this relationship.

Finding quality/affordable mental health treatment is a challenge of epic proportions.

Decide what you need, steel up and go after it!

I wish you the best.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health