Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 11:13 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times

Advertisements

Short version - I got terribly bullied at work and haven't worked since, nearly 4 years now. Things haven't been good for me at all as I had problems with my ex, my kids etc as well. Basically everything that could go wrong, has.

Now. I have mental health issues which I am finally getting treatment for after a bunch of doctor shopping. I have a bit of money and a small income so I don't have to worry on that score.

I finally have somewhere stable to live after a bunch of mishaps and homelessness. This has only been since November.

I don't NEED to do anything with my life, except get better (severe depression).

I don't feel passionate about anything really which is a symptom of my depression. I'm in a catch 22 because I know I need to do SOMETHING, engage somehow with life again.

I do have good friends but tend to isolate myself. I get headaches too which may be my age, my eyes, or my hormones. Who knows but it tends to curtail my social life. I turn down most invitations.

Any ideas on how I can learn to love life again? I'm nearly 50 and could "retire" but I don't want to. Plus I'm B_O_R_E_D and walking the dogs isn't much help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:13 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Take a look at Meetup. They have groups everywhere in the US. It's NOT a dating site, although it does promote non-romantic socialization to the extend you may want it. It's for meeting others who have similar interests, hobbies, wish for learning experiences, etc. Opened up a whole new world in my life.

Find your people - Meetup

Old 04-10-2014, 10:22 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
volunteer with an animal rescue group. The joy of having animals in your life and others who care about them is a very healing thing.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:15 AM

165 posts, read 194,428 times
Taking small steps is one of the biggest truths you will ever hear. If you don't need a lot of income, work part time. Part time jobs are easier to find, at least in my area, besides. Don't pick something you can't stand. If you need a quiet place to work, look for one in a firm that isn't too large or "fast-paced". Try to schedule interviews. See what types of people you would prefer to work with--all ages, or mostly those over 30? Young people. I briefly worked in a pet boarding facility that had people 25 or more years younger than I am, but I loved them. It depends upon the people's personalities and if you share values and interests with them or have been in their shoes.

I have been in the same boat you are. I am not fully out of the woods yet. When I left my last full-time job, the thought of going back turned my stomach. I temped in a wonderful place, and I tried out that pet facility for a short time. I also volunteered at a shelter. I fostered three dogs (and ended up having all three live with me, but I am alone a great deal when I am not a work and they have been spectacular).

You are experiencing life experience. A lot of it was perhaps heaped up on you all at once. Life experience can be wonderful and it can hurt. I didn't do most of my mental growing until 30 and beyond.

In summary, the fresh, new springtime feelings you once had won't be as frequent as when you were younger, but the experience you gain will leave you going into new things with your eyes more open. I try only what I think I can handle now and try not to impress anyone with biting off more than I can chew. If I have to start small, I start small. If I have to chop undertakings into manageable pieces, I will do that. It won't happen at once, but small steps.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 5,589 times
Joining a local support group will help you out a lot. You may just need a change of scenery to get away from the familiarity of where you reside. Plan a trip with a couple of people who can help get you out of your funk and you may just find what relaxation can do to ease your mind! Good luck!

Old 04-11-2014, 01:11 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times
Good for you for getting help. That's a huge accomplishment. Good luck

Old 04-11-2014, 04:45 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Awesome thanks guys.

Amazing and helpful responses, one and all.

Thank you...I mean it.

I went to see my psych yesterday and we've done some goal setting, she suggested volunteer work and at the moment I am housesitting with 6 dogs so they are getting cared for well and forcing me to go for walks which is good.

Anyway my goal is -

Peace.

Just to get my head in a peaceful place where I stop beating myself up. She said she forgot counting how many times I did it yesterday.

Peace. Hmmm new concept...

She's very good, this psych. Expensive, but maybe worth it. 3 visits in.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:00 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
This may sound weird, but I am going to suggest opening your mind to more esoteric approaches to gaining inner peace as well. I have found a lot of benefit from reiki, meditation and yoga. There is something to it... for many people. It can't hurt to try a few things that stretch your belief systems, if only for the novelty factor!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Short version - I got terribly bullied at work and haven't worked since, nearly 4 years now. Things haven't been good for me at all as I had problems with my ex, my kids etc as well. Basically everything that could go wrong, has.

Now. I have mental health issues which I am finally getting treatment for after a bunch of doctor shopping. I have a bit of money and a small income so I don't have to worry on that score.

I finally have somewhere stable to live after a bunch of mishaps and homelessness. This has only been since November.

I don't NEED to do anything with my life, except get better (severe depression).

I don't feel passionate about anything really which is a symptom of my depression. I'm in a catch 22 because I know I need to do SOMETHING, engage somehow with life again.

I do have good friends but tend to isolate myself. I get headaches too which may be my age, my eyes, or my hormones. Who knows but it tends to curtail my social life. I turn down most invitations.

Any ideas on how I can learn to love life again? I'm nearly 50 and could "retire" but I don't want to. Plus I'm B_O_R_E_D and walking the dogs isn't much help.
I would get off of websites where trolls are common and look for a site full of (true) support groups. I would think you need as little negativity as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health