Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 05:25 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,319 times

Advertisements

One of the most perplexing issues of my depression is the fact that when I have a drink of booze now, I don't get a buzz like I did when I was "pre-depression." Has anyone else noticed this in themselves?

I've asked several psychiatrists about this, but they usually give vague answers. One even said, "So you want me to prescribe you a medication so you can get a buzz when you drink?" I was offended by that comment and he totally missed my point.

I think a brain chemistry that can't respond to alcohol with a pleasant "buzz" shows it's unhealthy (due to neurotransmitters, or whatever...)

Many years ago I was prescribed Celexa, and shortly thereafter I would get a healthy buzz if I took a drink. However, the response soon faded and didn't happen anymore. No other antidepressants I've tried significantly improve my alcohol experience.

I'd appreciate any psychiatrists who would like to elaborate on this issue. I know depression and alcohol don't mix, do please don't repeat that advice. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:43 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I think a brain chemistry that can't respond to alcohol with a pleasant "buzz" shows it's unhealthy (due to neurotransmitters, or whatever...)
I think you nailed it. Alcohol enhances GABA the "peacemaker" of neurotransmitters not to mention the natural painkillers endorphins but inhibits glutamates which are excitatory. Alcohol's effects in those regards are blunted because of the electrochemical processes that cause depression. That's my layperson's understanding.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:21 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Glutamate is excitory? How does that work when ketamine increases glutamate yet is a depressant?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:02 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Glutamate is excitory? How does that work when ketamine increases glutamate yet is a depressant?

What Is Glutamate?

Old 12-18-2014, 12:06 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,319 times
Yes, glutamate is an excitatory neurotransmitter. There's a lot of research on this chemical's effect on the brain.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:43 AM

28 posts, read 50,696 times
I no longer drink at all. I am 48, female and for the past year I have felt sick and very depressed the next day after even one glass of wine or beer. Not worth it, so I'm now totally alcohol free.

I must also add that I am within a year of getting off the antidepressant drug, Cymbalta and I have no doubt my brian chemistry is still going through many changes after many years of SSRI's, SSNRI's, etc.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,296 times
I have always found that the more depressed I am, the worse I feel when drinking...and even more worse the following days.

When I was on Wellbutrin, if I had more than 2 drinks I would throw up.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:10 PM

543 posts, read 943,145 times
I first started drinking regularly in 2005 as a 20 year old. For the next few years I drank almost daily. I got drunk and watched movies with my friends.
I think my depression hit me in 2011-12 for one of the first things I realised was that the booze was having no effect at all. I hated it. It could have been a combination of reasons: I had then thought that taking LSD twice that year was the turning point.

Anyway I lost friends. I was the killjoy of the party according to them. And then you really do know who really know you and care for you and who don't.

Funnily enough now I don't crave alcohol anymore. I hardly ever drink. And funnily enough I get drunk when I am drinking alone, not with people. Still not like how I used to but a slight buzz.

It's saving me money, even my health. Hopefully when I am fully back to how I was I will enjoy getting wasted on a few chosen days of the year like the old days. Hopefully.

So to answer your query: yes, it certainly has a massive impact.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 7,111 times
Came across this in a Google search. I can confirm that after doing a brief Tricyclic treatment and have been off them for 6 months, I have no longer been able to get a buzz.

Definitely an issue with my neurotransmitters as I think you'll find it's more the antidepressants than the depression causing the change due to how the ADs inhibit.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 6,608 times
Hey Doug
Im suffering from the same.. did your response to alcohol ever return ? Im 6 months off my anti-depressant and I still cant feel alcohol, not to mention the pathetic sexual dysfunction that came with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health