Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:42 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,634 times

Advertisements

Most people with mental illness go to church one way or another. The pastors encourage them to seek help with professionals and adhere to therapy.

Since mental illness is often triggered by events, usually seeking spiritual help is helpful for the therapy goer.

So yes, most churches take time to help those in need. Doesn't have to do anything with exorcisms or whatever.

However I know of a case on my church of a schizo dude who beat the hell out of his wife. She had to leave him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 02:14 PM

18 posts, read 16,810 times
Most church goers mentally ill? They can be everywhere church going or not. Some churches are more accepting to people that have a lot of problems going on and this particular church may have more than average mentally ill people. However I couldn't say this a whole idea in general that most church goers are mentally ill. It depends on the church and the demographic area. For instance, if the church is located in the hood or sketchy area then yes more people are going to display these symptoms I think. Lots of people go to church too because they know how much they have screwed up in the past and they want to get better. Kind of like me.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman1982 View Post
Most church goers mentally ill? They can be everywhere church going or not. Some churches are more accepting to people that have a lot of problems going on and this particular church may have more than average mentally ill people. However I couldn't say this a whole idea in general that most church goers are mentally ill. It depends on the church and the demographic area. For instance, if the church is located in the hood or sketchy area then yes more people are going to display these symptoms I think. Lots of people go to church too because they know how much they have screwed up in the past and they want to get better. Kind of like me.

Some therapists encourage their patients to go to church, while they may be agnostics, some therapist believe most common religions and churches give some solace to those with mental problems.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:59 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times
Some churches, though, discourage the use of drugs like antidepressants, etc. They believe all mental illness is a spiritual problem. I think this is harmful to lots of people. It used to be thought that epilepsy was a spiritual problem, and while that may be the case once in a while, it's usually a physical problem in the brain. Maybe a great percentage of troubled people gravitate to churches because they are seeking some sort of help. There's nothing wrong with a little spiritual counseling, but I think it should be in conjunction with real medical help if that's what's needed.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:07 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Loaded question.

Some people would say that belief in a Virginal Mary is the sign of mental illness.

Others would say belief in Thetans is crazy.

Organised Religion is just another addiction. Users get "high" once a week on the bonding, singing, praying, social cohesion.

Theyre no more mentally ill than your average cigarette smoker, most of them.

It really depends on the depth of the Religious Fervor, more than attendance at Religious Ceremonies per se.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:59 PM

296 posts, read 413,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Loaded question.

Some people would say that belief in a Virginal Mary is the sign of mental illness.

Others would say belief in Thetans is crazy.

Organised Religion is just another addiction. Users get "high" once a week on the bonding, singing, praying, social cohesion.

Theyre no more mentally ill than your average cigarette smoker, most of them.

It really depends on the depth of the Religious Fervor, more than attendance at Religious Ceremonies per se.
I would not call it an addiction to get together with friends and enjoy bonding, singing, praying, and social cohesion.

When I used to go to church, I saw people uplifting each other and being very friendly. Yes, there are some co-dependent people there (just like the general population).

OK, I will change that last statment and say there is a bit more co-dependence in churches, and there is a bit more mental illness in the church too. Why? Because people in pain can go there to find relief and heal.

This is my opinion based on my observations. There has probably been research done to measure mental illness in the church.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:30 AM

Beliefs and ideas are not dangerous unless they are some sort of "excuse" for some irrational behavior.

If you believe in UFO's you can, as well as the people believin' on horoscopes. People with Phd believes on psychics and alternate medicine.

Problem arises when your beliefs interrump normal behavior and are a excuse for fanatism or violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health