Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 06:06 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times

Advertisements

For me, individual therapy sessions have been half-measures at best.
I see someone I've grown to trust, then for one reason or another, sessions get broken off due to work or moving.
I've been wanting to get sessions in order again for some non life threatening, yet serious issues that I believe need addressing.
At the same time though, I still think a change of work assignment, as opposed to outright jumping ship to another company, would also help me great deals.
So much so, that I think another move might be in order in the not-too-distant future.

That said, has anyone here ever start therapy sessions in one location, only to stop them and having to pick up again with a different therapist/doctor/practitioner/etc.,
Is it a healthy thing to do? Or will the consistent jumping around keep things "buried"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 05:30 AM

37 posts, read 60,202 times
I went through a couple therapists last year. The first I only saw for one session before she quit practicing. It was my first time in therapy since i was a kid. The second person decided to retire after I'd been seeing her for about seven months. I was beginning to think that I unloaded so much on these people that I broke them. Joking aside, I realized that it takes time to get to know someone and find the right fit. This is my personal experience and it took place over a relatively short period of time.
A different work environment may help but I noticed you live in the same part of the country as I do. Seasonal affective disorder is prevalent among people living in our area. Of course this is only one issue we may be dealing with but it sure is a motivating factor in our common desire to move to greener pastures. I certainly had a lot less to be depressed about during the half of the year when the weather can't kill us.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
I went through a couple therapists last year. The first I only saw for one session before she quit practicing. It was my first time in therapy since i was a kid. The second person decided to retire after I'd been seeing her for about seven months. I was beginning to think that I unloaded so much on these people that I broke them. Joking aside, I realized that it takes time to get to know someone and find the right fit. This is my personal experience and it took place over a relatively short period of time.
A different work environment may help but I noticed you live in the same part of the country as I do. Seasonal affective disorder is prevalent among people living in our area. Of course this is only one issue we may be dealing with but it sure is a motivating factor in our common desire to move to greener pastures. I certainly had a lot less to be depressed about during the half of the year when the weather can't kill us.
I actually found one of the counselors I saw as a teen on social media.
He was actually a pretty cool guy when I was seeing him, almost like a big brother of sorts.
I wanted to touch base with him and see if a sort of dialogue could be opened up again.
Sadly, he never responded and by the looks of what I saw on his page, he's moved well beyond what he did when interning with County Behavioral Health Services.
As much as it upset me, the dude's in his mid-40s now, long done with school, and feels as though he's past and above, the past.
Anywho, the search will continue and I'll eventually find my fit with someone again.
Slightly older, doesn't matter what gender, I feel the most comfortable spewing my guts to.
Someone around my age, I'm not really certain about giving much up to them.

As far as the SAD goes, you might be right.
I lived all my life in an area of the SoCal desert that barely saw any snow and had more sunny days throughout the Winter months.
I've lived and worked in this particular area now going on about 2 1/2 years.
I'm just trying to keep it together until I finally figure out how to get moved to some place like Phoenix.

It's like a limbo.

Old 01-15-2015, 04:45 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
I have had therapists in 3 different states as I moved over the years while I was in therapy
nothing uncommon about that
2 of them helped me very much it was intense as I was dealing with incest
but then, the client is the one doing the work, not the therapist
they facilitate the sessions
you do have to start over each time. going over what you have already covered and also having to gain trust in new therapist
one of these people I did not care for at all, so it was short lived

Old 01-16-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
I have had therapists in 3 different states as I moved over the years while I was in therapy
nothing uncommon about that
2 of them helped me very much it was intense as I was dealing with incest
but then, the client is the one doing the work, not the therapist
they facilitate the sessions
you do have to start over each time. going over what you have already covered and also having to gain trust in new therapist
one of these people I did not care for at all, so it was short lived
Something has to be done quick.
I feel as though I need a good touch of advising in "where to go next" and how to get it done and seen through.
The 12+ hour shifts I've been subjected to with different employers over the past, 6-7 years have nearly rotted me in a way.

No real relations developed with anybody due to all the "cool people" working on a totally different schedule than you are.
I make money, but being stuck with the Cowboys and circus freaks is doing its fair amount of damage.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:02 AM

37 posts, read 60,202 times
I think Georgia is right about having to start over with each new therapist. It's an unfortunate reality but each therapist works differently. Some let you guide them into helping you find the tools to cope with your issues. Some may be able to read you better and have had experience dealing with people in similar circumstances. Either way, each patient is different and it takes time to build a rapport. It's human nature to want results straight away, but the reality is that a lifetime of difficulty can't be remedied over the course of a few sessions.
I felt the same way as you, but as time passed I did see progress. Patience is one of the areas I saw growth in myself and it comes in handy when working on self-improvement.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenault View Post
I think Georgia is right about having to start over with each new therapist. It's an unfortunate reality but each therapist works differently. Some let you guide them into helping you find the tools to cope with your issues. Some may be able to read you better and have had experience dealing with people in similar circumstances. Either way, each patient is different and it takes time to build a rapport. It's human nature to want results straight away, but the reality is that a lifetime of difficulty can't be remedied over the course of a few sessions.
I felt the same way as you, but as time passed I did see progress. Patience is one of the areas I saw growth in myself and it comes in handy when working on self-improvement.
I've got one too many issues that need covering.
Some things I've been open about, other things I thought were too sensitive to unleash on any ears.
Guess when I do start this back up again, it'll be time to outline/break down all the issues that need covering into a condensed format.
Simplify it enough so we could reach some sort of conclusion before I set sail again.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:38 PM

Well, started one intake session and tried to schedule regular one.
But they're all booked up and the regular person I was assigned won't be in until Wednesday.

I've been trying to get these things scheduled on days I have off as opposed to ones where I'm working in order to go in with a clear enough head to explain things with little emotion about it.

I'm only now wanting to take this thing serious again due to seeing and feeling warning signs in regards to an incident that occurred with me back in 2011.
I'm doing what I can to control it and it seems to be helping.
But ultimately, I went about getting my job transfer expedited the 3rd time around.

As short-staffed and handed as they are around here, getting bounced between assignments is burning me out quicker than I imagined.
Things were good upon moving out here back in 2012, but that mood has worn away and negativity just seems to rear its ugly head.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:10 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
Therapists are just humans, and most humans are fails. So take that for what it's worth.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Therapists are just humans, and most humans are fails. So take that for what it's worth.
Still, it leaves me with a dead end and pretty much no options other than to press on.

I would say "man up", but even now I know that that's a pretty empty term right there.
Something to give everyone else hope and motivation while the guy that said it figures out how to run away and not get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health