Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 PM

80 posts, read 105,244 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of trying to find a counselor. Or not. Maybe. I'm not sure.

I'm not sure because I don't know if I really want to change. I'm confident I have found a "root" to my interpersonal /relationship problems. I believe they come from attachment issues growing up. I've always considered myself surprisingly well-adjusted considering my upbringing. Part of me wants to explore this more (I had previously sought counseling following a series of traumatic events and it helped a lot). Part of me is not particularly interested in changing and so I wonder if it's even worth exploring if I dont do anything with it. I feel like if I do seek to change it then I'm getting rid of something that makes me fundamentally ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:14 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Do you want us to talk you into it or talk you out of it?

Given this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy5oul View Post
...considering my upbringing.
... I would do it.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:41 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
My "me" has changed dramatically over the decades, and in part that change is what makes me, me.

Anything I do or don't do, is me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
So, you're feeling like you've done your counseling and gotten your stuff resolved...but to me if someone insists that they don't want to change or changing is too much trouble, doesn't that mean you don't have your stuff all resolved? OR, maybe you don't actually need to change, but need to come to an understanding that who you are and how you are is just fine the way it is. Lots of people see counselors for validation, not change.

Either way, if you are feeling relationship minded, relationships are not just about you. They are about you and the other person, so it wouldn't hurt to have some assistance negotiating the give and take of a relationship with someone who may or may not have their stuff together as well as you do.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 AM

80 posts, read 105,244 times
No, I'm not saying my experience in the therapist's chair got everything resolved, it got the things I went there for resolved.
I'm also not saying I don't want to change, per se, just that I have reservations about it because how I respond to situations and people is very much a part of who I am and I'm not sure if I want to or should change that about me. But it's definitely created hurdles in my relationships in the past.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:39 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Why would you want to hold onto a way of being that causes issues in your relationships? I went through a really tough divorce that I sought counseling for and it did help at the time. But I recently sought help again because it's five years later, but I struggle in my relationships now. I can tell you exactly what my weak points are, I can pin point the divorce and even things from childhood that have made me the way I am. I know what my issues are, but I haven't been able to push past them alone and that's why I made the decision to see a therapist again.

It's a really personal decision. I'm dating someone right now I really care about and I think it could really be something. I don't want to screw it up and that's why I finally made the call.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy5oul View Post
I am thinking of trying to find a counselor. Or not. Maybe. I'm not sure.

I'm not sure because I don't know if I really want to change. I'm confident I have found a "root" to my interpersonal /relationship problems. I believe they come from attachment issues growing up. I've always considered myself surprisingly well-adjusted considering my upbringing. Part of me wants to explore this more (I had previously sought counseling following a series of traumatic events and it helped a lot). Part of me is not particularly interested in changing and so I wonder if it's even worth exploring if I dont do anything with it. I feel like if I do seek to change it then I'm getting rid of something that makes me fundamentally ME.
You'll never lose the "fundamentally me" by talking out relationship feelings and problems...
Counseling (depending on the counselor) can be a good or bad thing. Personally if I feel the need, I have some good friends who are willing to listen to me and offer their own insight...that's counseling to me. I don't feel a stranger would so helpful to me...but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health