Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:23 PM

275 posts, read 332,263 times

Advertisements

At one point I felt like I had the best memory in the world, I could remember names and faces regardless of how long it had been since I last saw them. Now in my early 20s, these things I forget. Now that I think of it, I am forgetting more and more. I guess it's more of a short term memory loss.

For example, I am in college, and in my math class I learn how to do problems, and I will practice them, but next thing I know, I can't remember how to do the formula.

It's more than that, but I just wanted to give an example.

I'm bringing this up with my doctor on my next visit, but was wondering if anyone had and similar experiences.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 12:44 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
I had that problem for a couple of years. At the same time I lost my color vision and depth perception and I could no longer remember faces. I learned later I might have had a stroke. For what it's worth, it gradually got better. But I would have it checked out ASAP. Depression can do that; so can anxiety; so can some endocrine problems; there are a lot of possibilities.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I had that problem for a couple of years. At the same time I lost my color vision and depth perception and I could no longer remember faces. I learned later I might have had a stroke. For what it's worth, it gradually got better. But I would have it checked out ASAP. Depression can do that; so can anxiety; so can some endocrine problems; there are a lot of possibilities.
I do suffer from both depression and anxiety.

Thank you.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:34 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Stress/anxiety can have a tremendous impact on short term memory. I seriously doubt its Dementia. Dementia is cognitive impairment that is part of a downward cycle. Its very possible that you are experiencing cognitive difficulties that are not going to get worse over time. I suspect if you learn to manage your anxiety or come up with coping mechanisms that your short term memory will restore to normal functioning.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:32 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,535 times
Diagnostic criteria for dementia generally require advanced age. Memory lapses for people in their 20's are more likely caused by stress, or perhaps even a neurological disorder. If the problem is particularly bothersome, it might be a good idea to talk with your primary care physician, or a even a neurologist.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Do you smoke marijuana? That will cause memory loss.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:05 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Carbon monoxide poisoning will also cause memory loss, among other symptoms. My memory/cognition started to suddenly go downhill when I was in my 40's. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong and neither could I. It took a worker from public utilities to give me a diagnosis. When he came over and tested the air in my home, he ordered me to get out right away and told me that he was surprised I hadn't died in my sleep! Well, I didn't die, but many of my brain cells did, and I continue to have problems to this very day. Moral of the story: Make sure you have a CO detector that is working properly. I also agree with those who have suggested your memory problems may be due to stress. If you have a lot of anxiety going on, it can lower your IQ by several points.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Do you smoke marijuana? That will cause memory loss.
Nope, nor any other drugs.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:38 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
This EXACT same thing happened to me with math!

Given your anxiety, you might be the "quick to learn and quick to forget" type of learner and it is only now becoming an issue for you. My high anxiety helped me cram for many tests only to forget the info the next semester, or next week sometimes, if I didn't keep using the info.

Our memory in general is like a muscle. "Use it or lose it."

Does not sound like dementia.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:07 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
Nope, nor any other drugs.
Do you take any prescription drugs?...that could play a part in memory loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health