Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,061 times

Advertisements

I have social anxiety and maybe a tiny little bit of depression. There are days when getting out of the home is a struggle on itself, and then I sometimes suffer from random waves of fatigue.

I have to go out in a few minutes and I was starting to think about staying in.

"It's fine if you just skip once. Yeah you have to go, but you're so tired! So stay, just this once!" And 'this once' becomes a habit...

My question is... if you have to deal with this sort of thing, how do you beat it?

Personally, knowing I'll feel guilty and repercussions is oftentimes not enough. I'm really apathetic when it comes to negativity. So I need motivations such as "You have to walk there, and the sun will feel great in your skin. I'm catching the Tram, which will allow me to get a better glimpse at the mountains. I ****ing love mountains!" Or if I'm going out just to have fun, well "I'll deal with a tiny bit of anxiety but I'LL HAVE FUN!"
I'm simple-minded like that.

What tricks do you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:40 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Have you ever had your thyroid checked?

It took me 15 years to figure out what is wrong with me.

I am still super tired all the time despite thyroid meds but can live with it, taking short naps here and there and work my schedule around it. Strangers don't even notice that I am a sleeper. You need a lot of discipline to still function.

Outdoor activities and gym help a lot.

My tricks are to be super organized with my time since it is so limited.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:01 PM

No, I really haven't. But I don't know if it has to do with that, since when I was taking antidepressants, my energy levels were higher. It was when I stopped taking them that I started feeling fatigue.
I guess it's worth checking it, though. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2015, 03:31 PM

I took tons of different meds, also antidepressants until I figured out it was the thyroid. Yes, they made me a little more energetic.

But the root was thyroid. I had it checked superficially and it seemed all normal. You have to dig a little deeper, check the TS3 and TS4 also. Just a little bit off can have fatigue as result.

I was also losing hair and always cold or hot.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I took tons of different meds, also antidepressants until I figured out it was the thyroid. Yes, they made me a little more energetic.

But the root was thyroid. I had it checked superficially and it seemed all normal. You have to dig a little deeper, check the TS3 and TS4 also. Just a little bit off can have fatigue as result.

I was also losing hair and always cold or hot.
May I ask how much improvement did you notice with the thyroid treatment? Not just in fatigue reduction, but in your overall well-being.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:48 AM

Well, I am still a sleeper.

But before I took thyroid pills, I felt like that:

Cold or sweaty
tired
weak
can't focus
got up early but tired at 11 am already. Tons of naps during the day and staring at the clock at 5pm, hoping it is bedtime soon.
muscle weakness. When I was running on the treadmill at the gym it felt as if I have weights on my feet.
slightly depressed
cold when others are wearing Tshirt
hairloss
irritable
cold fingers and feet
always hungry

My blood work is just slightly off for Thyroid but my symptoms are strong. Apparently, there are many people whose blood work is totally off and they have hardly any symptoms. A mystery to the doctors.

Now I can stay up until 9-10pm, can go to the gym in the afternoons, everything improved but I still sleep more as others and I am still always hungry.I still forget everyting and can't focus but I am able to go to college for a Masters Degree somehow . I do it online because I can't focus on night classes or oversleep when I take a nap before class. So now I do class work whenever I am awake enough, mostly early mornings.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:07 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Was your weight affected at all? i have a lot of the symptoms you listed so i was debating getting mine checked too but i thought weight gain was a huge symptom and i don't have that... thoughts?

Old 10-29-2015, 11:10 AM

How old are you? Have you had your complete blood work done?

Old 10-29-2015, 11:50 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
How old are you? Have you had your complete blood work done?
28.. i have blood work done at my annual physical, but no clue if this is included... i should probably ask what they are actually checking, i've just never had a reason to.

but i have constant fatigue, hair loss and i'm always cold. so i was thinking of asking to have it checked but i'm thin and someone told me i'd be overweight if i had a thyroid issue.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:20 PM

Nooo, there are different kinds of thyroid issues. Some make you stay skinny. It is over or underfunction of the thyroid, one makes you fat and one keeps you skinny.

The annual physical doesn't include the THOROUGH thyroid blood work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health