Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 10:43 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,475 times

Advertisements

I have had a specific phobia since I was about 8 and I have also been very anxious my entire life. A few years back I was diagnosed with emetophobia (fear of vomiting) along with anxiety and panic disorder. I have panic attacks on average once a day. But I have managed it this far alone and while it is still very much a problem I continue to live my life. However it is holding me back and just draining me overall. I really thought by now I would have "outgrown" these issues. Recently I went back to college and I am on track to get my CPA, which I really want. I am doing this while working full time. My second week back to college I was in a bad car accident and missed 3 weeks of classes due to a neck injury and concussion. I am still in Physical Therapy for this and it was/is really hard on me. It was a state vehicle that hit me, so my insurance had to cover it all and it put a strain on me financially having to buy a car and medical co-pays. On top of all this my family is experiencing some issues (divorces, duis, drama) which I have never had to deal with. I am very much a perfectionist and hate that I can't fix everything. I decided to reach out to my doctor because it was too much. I don't like SSRI's but tried two of them so I didn't seem like I wasn't willing to try to get better. He agreed that since I am all anxiety, no depression, we would try something else. I have a hard time taking medication because that's a HUGE trigger for my phobia. He put me on Buspar which I liked because I had NO side effects. I also have a low dose of xanax for really bad panic attacks which I only take from time to time. The buspar helped, but not a miracle drug by any means. I am still having very frequent attacks. I decided to try counseling and she wanted me to ask my doctor about celexa, so I did that today. She told me it wouldn't make me sick, but I have heard otherwise. My doctor told me it can disrupt your digestive system, but that vomiting is very very rare. But I cannot handle 3-4 weeks of digestive problems and fogginess with work and school while I "adjust" to these kinds of medicines. I also worry about the weight gain (I am a small person and any amount shows on me), low sex drive (because i already have a low one) and the fear of withdraw when I want to come off it someday.
Any kind of stomach upset triggers me. I feel like I was pressured into this when I really don't want to take it. I didn't want her to think I wasn't willing to try and get better...but I just hate how those kinds of medicines make me feel.
Anybody with JUST anxiety/phobia issues take celexa? I know everybody will be different, but I only know people with depression who have taken it. They said it helped, but that it took over a month and that coming off it was hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 10:14 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
I did take celexia for anxiety along with PMDD. My anxiety stemmed from PTSD. It helped a lot! Like a ton! A total breath of fresh air, no joke. It felt like I was being held under water and someone finally let me up to breathe. But it made me lazy and I gained weight and lost interest in my goals and hobbies. Saying that is not to say you shouldn't try it. In fact, I think you absolutely should give SSRIs a go. No doubt in my mind.

But keep this in mind.

You might not need them forever, and getting off them is hard work. You feel worse before you feel better. But you might come through much better in the end. If your gut says you are ready to stop (usually a few years), ride it out slowly. Get someone in your corner to help you see the bigger picture.

Meds work best while getting good therapy.

You are the captain of your own ship. If you feel something isn't working, don't let someone with a big degree tell you how you should or shouldn't be. Don't let them answer for you.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
BTW over the years I have tried every single SSRI on the market and only one made me sick to my stomach. Vybrid. But if you get it in your head it will make you sick, it will make you sick.

I have the opposite problem as you. I have bulimia. I won't go into detail. But if I get vomiting in my head, it absolutely happens, if i want it to or not. This is happening with you. But a defensive reaction. So don't let it get in your head.

Old 05-24-2023, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,224 times
I was feeling increasingly frustrated with my emetophobia as it caused me to experience extreme paranoia and prevented me from enjoying activities that I would otherwise love.
For example, while I loved going to concerts, the mere possibility of someone getting sick due to alcohol consumption on the way or during the event would fill me with anxiety.
I stopped attending parties altogether as I was afraid people might get sick after drinking, which led to me losing most of my friends.
Even if someone expressed slight nausea, it was difficult for me to be around them.
I couldn't watch movies without someone reviewing them first, and I stopped going to cinemas, despite my passion for film.

I don't like therapies etc, so for my birthday I got an online course and gave it a try, despite having little hope.
To my surprise, I noticed positive changes in myself after completing the initial steps of the program.

One day I caght myself thinking that the whole day literally passed without any anxiety. That's a huge step for me.

Old 05-31-2023, 08:59 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I decided to try counseling and she wanted me to ask my doctor about celexa, so I did that today. She told me it wouldn't make me sick, but I have heard otherwise. My doctor told me it can disrupt your digestive system, but that vomiting is very very rare. But I cannot handle 3-4 weeks of digestive problems and fogginess with work and school while I "adjust" to these kinds of medicines.

Any kind of stomach upset triggers me. I feel like I was pressured into this when I really don't want to take it. I didn't want her to think I wasn't willing to try and get better...but I just hate how those kinds of medicines make me feel.
Anybody with JUST anxiety/phobia issues take celexa? I know everybody will be different, but I only know people with depression who have taken it.
Celexa is an SSRI, and feeling anxious, agitated or shaky are known side effects of SSRIs. Possibly look into other types of medications. Our daughter had to take one of these meds when she was in her late teens; it took awhile for her to find the right one.

https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/tal.../side-effects/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health