Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:19 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,442 times

Advertisements

I came across something today that really sums up where I am at. Oddly, it does not provide inspiration or a way to feel better, yet it makes me feel better when I read something I could never put into words.

Do some of you use quotes, sayings, mantras, affirmations to help you understand or process or cope with depression? Anything that you use to lift your spirits?

I hope to start saying some positive affirmations soon, but right now I'm just in a place where I am trying to accept things and process them. So here is what I found today:

"My life, the most truthful one, is unrecognizable, extremely interior, and there is no single word that gives it meaning." Clarice Lispector

I'd never heard of her and I did a bit of research on her life. Even though she died young, she LIVED. That feels like what my life has been lacking for many years now. Actually living rather than just existing.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to hear what other people have found meaningful as they deal with depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,957 times
"The heart is an umbilical cord which connects us to the Ground of Being. The heart is our creative imagination, born of our instinct for relationship with this Divine Ground. The heart generates all our quests, all our hopes and longings and will ultimately bring us to reunion with this Ground. Without the heart, without the instinct to feel, to imagine, to hope and to love, life is meaningless, sterile, dead. When we are in touch with our heart, it comes alive, it vibrates, it sings."
-Andrew Harvey-

So though there is a bio-chemical aspect of depression, to me (or for me) the above addresses the crux of depression.
It is ultimately a spiritual dilemma.
I could say that all suffering is rooted in a mis-perception / misunderstanding / disconnect from our true nature and from clear perception of what actually is.
Most children are not depressed.
Their hearts are still open and singing.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is - infinite”.
-William Blake-

No one with that kind of expanse of consciousness and awareness could be depressed.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
"The heart is an umbilical cord which connects us to the Ground of Being. The heart is our creative imagination, born of our instinct for relationship with this Divine Ground. The heart generates all our quests, all our hopes and longings and will ultimately bring us to reunion with this Ground. Without the heart, without the instinct to feel, to imagine, to hope and to love, life is meaningless, sterile, dead. When we are in touch with our heart, it comes alive, it vibrates, it sings."
-Andrew Harvey-

So though there is a bio-chemical aspect of depression, to me (or for me) the above addresses the crux of depression.
It is ultimately a spiritual dilemma.
I could say that all suffering is rooted in a mis-perception / misunderstanding / disconnect from our true nature and from clear perception of what actually is.
Most children are not depressed.
Their hearts are still open and singing.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is - infiniteā€.
-William Blake-

No one with that kind of expanse of consciousness and awareness could be depressed.
What do you mean by spiritual dilemma?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:03 PM

399 posts, read 581,576 times
"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul."- Invictus

“You are someone who is different, but who wants to be the same as everyone else. And that in my view is a serious illness. God chose you to be different.” - Paulo Coelho, veronika decides to die

Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
What do you mean by spiritual dilemma?
My post specifically addressed that question didn't it?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
resistance is not futile.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
My post specifically addressed that question didn't it?
If it did, it did not register with me. I always go blank when someone talks of spiritual dilemmas or such and such is a spiritual something or other.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
If it did, it did not register with me. I always go blank when someone talks of spiritual dilemmas or such and such is a spiritual something or other.
If you go "blank" then why even ask?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
If you go "blank" then why even ask?
Precisely because it does not register with me. I do not attribute anything to a spiritual dilemma, so of course I'm blank or confused or don't understand when people speak in these terms.

I don't know if you are referring to religion or not. I am not a believer in religion.

At any rate, sorry I asked. This thread was and is about quotes, sayings, etc but I did ask and I will drop it.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM

The quotes that i presented in my first post were about an open and alive heart and clear / unobstructed perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health