Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 08:27 PM

93 posts, read 73,860 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure an acquaintance of mine is pretending to be a psychologist. Like not going out pretending to be, I think they're just lying about their profession when they meet people. I asked about where they got their education and they claimed they only have a masters and passed the bar. I said the bar is for lawyers and they said psychologists, too. What is the test called to become a psychologist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 08:54 AM

706 posts, read 758,403 times
The test they must pass in order to get licensed is called the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP). They usually have to go through an internship, as well, though I think that comes before the exam.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:38 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
The test they must pass in order to get licensed is called the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP). They usually have to go through an internship, as well, though I think that comes before the exam.
Yeah, that. The Difference Between a PsyD and PhD in Psychology | Capella University Blog

Old 07-04-2016, 11:27 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
There is also the state jurisprudence exam. And there is the oral examination.

In order: it requires internship, completion of a dissertation or some kind of research/outcome paper, EPPP, state jurisprudence, and the oral exam. While it was only 6 years ago, it seemed like profound hell. On the other side of it, it truly was profound hell, and it is followed annually by fees and continuing education requirements (CEU). In Texas, you are required to complete 20 CE's, with 3 units in Ethics.

There is nothing I would rather do. And it is not something a professional does all the time. In session I am fully attuned and responsive. Get me out of the person's door and I am as regular a person as you can see or not see. Most don't think of me as a doctor and I like it that way. It allows for greater sharing. There are rare occasions externally where I fill the doctor's role, but that is because the circumstances require it (danger to self or others, formal testing environments, court, or to consult with medical professionals on primary/critical care). Otherwise I present as unassuming and go about my business with anonymity and efficiency. Aside from a name tag, I wear no special clothes, though I carry a leather brief case.

One extra comment that must be tendered is to come from a professionally accredited school. While the APA may be seen in gatekeeper status on this, the truth is, there is a high level of professionalism attached to the degree and license. You look out for your client's best interests, always. There is no separating the border between practitioner and client/patient. And why should it - you are creating a one sided, intimate relationship. The 'me' I am as a doctor is not the same 'me' I am outside practice. People like the doctor part, which is proscriptive, but not the person part, which is more relaxed/complex. Your practice should be such where a lawyer is mounted on one shoulder and a jury on the other. You develop high pucker.

Anyone who pretends to be a psychologist doesn't know what they are doing or is a jackass. It is more subtle and unassuming than that, and carries a lot of sobriety, for the implications of words, intentions, and action. There is more quiet and thought in my exchanges as a professional, and more alterations/modifications of affect, thought, and behavior in others. It just is. I and my good colleagues are damn good at what we do and we would NEVER pretend. You don't psych people out. You don't analyze for the sake of argument. You don't degrade others with your knowledge or air of importance. A true professional levels the playing field so everyone can access benefit. There are a number of positions I've acquired as consultant, but that's due to the ability to think outside the box or because of a greater integrity that comes with how I carry myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health