Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 07:13 AM

49 posts, read 61,858 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Anyone else have anxiety about moving to a new state? I've suffered with anxiety through out my life, worse when there is a big change. My wife and I will be moving to central florida in about 6 weeks time. We have been preparing for the move for about 8 months now. All our stuff is packed. The movers are coming on September 8th. I am also taking my job with me, so my NY salary will be transfer to Florida

We are both in our mid 30's with no kids and want to get out of NY to start over. I will also eventually be bringing my mother down but need to find an assisted living facility for her.

I wake up every morning with obsessive thoughts. Am I prepared for this? Will I still have my NY friends? What if I don't like it? Will I be really homesick?

In some ways, I just can't stop my brain for going.

Anyone else have this before when moving to a new state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 08:25 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlight79 View Post
Hello all,

Anyone else have anxiety about moving to a new state? I've suffered with anxiety through out my life, worse when there is a big change. My wife and I will be moving to central florida in about 6 weeks time. We have been preparing for the move for about 8 months now. All our stuff is packed. The movers are coming on September 8th. I am also taking my job with me, so my NY salary will be transfer to Florida

We are both in our mid 30's with no kids and want to get out of NY to start over. I will also eventually be bringing my mother down but need to find an assisted living facility for her.

I wake up every morning with obsessive thoughts. Am I prepared for this? Will I still have my NY friends? What if I don't like it? Will I be really homesick?

In some ways, I just can't stop my brain for going.

Anyone else have this before when moving to a new state?
I also have anxiety--it sucks, right?

I totally had anxiety in May 2014 when my DH and I were preparing to move from Minnesota to Wisconsin. I had made small moves before, this was the biggest move I had ever made. I had a couple of full blown anxiety attacks over it while packing.

But now 2+ years later, I'm glad we moved! After living in one city for 37 years, I was so ready to be somewhere different, with a different history, different street names, and different things to do (same weather, though, just a day later, so I kind of envy you being able to experience a totally different climate). There are still things I miss about city life but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

There is a homeopathic blend called AnxioVita that you can get online, that I wish I had had when we moved. My dentist uses it for anxiety prior to dental procedures, and I also used it recently for airline flight anxiety, and it works really well. You might try it and see if it works for you. Rescue Remedy is often useful, too.

This is a little "out there" but sometimes when those type of questions come up, I (nicely) ask that part of myself that is anxious about the move or whatever to please move off of me for a time and come back later.

But I know you will be fine. I'm sure you are prepared for this (because those of us with anxiety generally if anything prepare a little too well) and you will find lots of new friends. I think you will like it, and yes, you'll probably be a little homesick, but that's okay, you'll survive.

My brother and SIL moved from Minnesota to Homestead, Florida, a few years ago, and they are happier than I have ever seen them, with lots of friends (people are super friendly in Florida), plenty to do, and they wouldn't move back for anything.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:18 AM

49 posts, read 61,858 times
Thanks Irootoo, I appreciate the kind words. I will also look into your recommendations.

Last edited by lowlight79; 08-01-2016 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: adding more thoughts

Old 08-02-2016, 05:42 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Sounds pretty normal to me.

Are you able to speak squarely to yourself and say: "Yeah, maybe some of my NY friends will drift away, but I'll work to keep in touch and the good ones will hang in there. Maybe I won't love it immediately, but we'll give it a good try. Maybe I'll be really homesick, but that's not such a big deal, since I'll have my wife, and gradually we'll make a new social circle. And how lucky we are that we get to start over with my already having a job!"

Old 08-03-2016, 04:48 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
My mom has this all of the time but it could be something simple as coming to our house and staying overnight or going to a family gathering for the day. She obsesses over it and sometimes she cancels plans and other times she bites the bullet and comes over. She's suffered with anxiety and panic attacks all of her life (she's 71). It's totally understandable to feel this way but it feels worse when you already have an issue with Anxiety. It is scary to move to a new place for anyone but I think once the move is complete and you settle into your new life everything else should/will fall into place. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health