Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 07:07 AM

7 posts, read 5,526 times

Advertisements

I am 16 years old and my brother is 20. So my parents make me and my brother go to this church 3 times a week. It was on the news for being like a cult. Anyways, in the church, the preacher disrespects me and my family for our "attitude". But my parents still worship him. Last night I had enough, and i told them i am not going today. My brother also said he's not going. Since he is an adult, they kicked him out of the house. A few years ago they kicked my oldest brother (24) out for the same reason. I am not going back what are my options and what can I do? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 07:10 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Your options are to live with your brother who was kicked out.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Your parents sound like they have been brainwashed by this cult. your options IMO are to live with it or leave, lean on your brothers for assistance if you chose to leave.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:15 AM

7 posts, read 5,526 times
They said if I dont go then they will home school me, and I do not want that. Also they are not letting me get my license until my attitude changes. There has to be something I can do. And my oldest brother is in another state right now so living with him isnt an option.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Im not sure what you expect to hear from the forum,
How about calling your local child protective services perhaps they can give you some guidance.
Contact your brothers and see if they have any ideas.
At 16yrs old its a bit late for home schooling .

Old 09-18-2016, 10:56 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,549 times
Do you have a close older relative – a grandparent, aunt or uncle – who is not participating in this church? If you talk to them, maybe they could talk sense to your parents. Or take you in.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Your best option is probably living with your parents and going to church with them until you're old enough to live on your own, and then you never have to go back to church again if you don't want to.

I had this exact conversation with my youngest sister when she was your age. She didn't want to go to church anymore and my parents made it a condition of living there. We figured out how much it would cost her each month to live on her own and divided that amount by the number of hours a month she was having to go to church. I told her to think of it as a job that she doesn't like. Most of us would work a job we couldn't stand if we were making $50 or $100 an hour, and that's what it came down to for her...going to church was the only thing they asked of my sister in return for providing for her, so she just thought of that as her job, something she didn't like, didn't want to do, didn't care about and wanted to quit as soon as possible, but that she had to do to keep a roof over her head.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:50 AM

473 posts, read 502,518 times
Get job when you can and save up enough money for apartment. You cannot sign an apartment lease until you are 18, so plan to crash with a family member or older friend if you get thrown out sooner. Maybe a friend's family will house you when you explain the differences over the questionable cult-church? Or find new church to attend alone and make friends, may need them if you get thrown out.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:14 AM

997 posts, read 937,599 times
Legally they are your parents and you can't move away. They can't kick you out.

Technically you have the upper hand. They can't force you to go to church and they can't beat you. They have to provide food and shelter, but it doesn't have to be good food. They don't have to be nice to you.

They can make your life uncomfortable but you can do the same.

You are supposed to rebel, you are at that age. You shouldn't have to be forced to worship in any way that feels wrong to you. You parents wouldn't agree but what is the point if you aren't a believer?

This is your fight and your choice. You can go to church if you want but nobody can make you believe. If it is the easiest way for you to make it through the next couple years then maybe that is the best thing to do. You don't need to take a stand. You need to plan for your future. You will need to leave when you are able and the path of least resistance may be the best option for now.

Your parents made a choice and you should respect their beliefs as you would wish for them to respect yours. Then you look out for Numero Uno.

Last edited by Veronicka; 09-27-2016 at 03:46 AM..

Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Veronica's right......Just put up with them for a few more years...use that time to plan and prepare for a new life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health