Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:26 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Really? 10 suicide attempts is not serious?
10 suicides attempts IS serious....which is why it may be more likely that it's Bipolar I. (Not saying that BPII is not a serious illness, just more treatable.)

The Problem With How We Treat Bipolar Disorder - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 07:36 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Sounds like Bipolar I, as opposed to Bipolar II, the former of which is a much more serious disorder.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...live-bipolar-i
Risk of suicidal behavior is similar among patients with bipolar type II (depression with hypomania) and type I disorder (depression with mania), supporting the view that type II is not a milder form of bipolar illness. ... Depression or dysphoria is the most prevalent morbidity in patients with bipolar disorder.

http://www.mdedge.com/currentpsychia...tric-disorders

Old 08-27-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
10 suicides attempts IS serious....which is why it may be more likely that it's Bipolar I. (Not saying that BPII is not a serious illness, just more treatable.)
It isn't necessarily 'more treatable' though. The difference in BP1 is if the person has mania, not a 'severity' value.

BPII is more on the depressed sides, with hypomania. But the depressions can be very severe and they can have mixed episodes.

Also toss in the fact that anti-depressants to treat BPII have a high risk of causing severe mania. So no, that is not generally easy to treat at all.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Here's just one study I found that shows the strong correlation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3157038/

And by the way, I never said obesity causes BP. But BP is more common among the obese. Does that mean every obese person has or will develop BP? No. Does it mean every BP person is obese? Also no. But the theory put forth by the article is that insulin resistance is a possible cause of BP. And what we know about insulin resistance is that it leads to obesity. So if you come across someone who's obese and BP, it's not such a stretch to think they're insulin resistant and that their insulin resistance may have lead or at least contributed to their BP. If I were obese, I would want to know if I'm insulin resistant. If I were, I'd want to take steps to reverse it before it turns into Type 2 diabetes, if it hasn't already. But now if there's the potential for mental illness, that's just more of a reason for me to want to get my insulin resistance corrected.
For starters, the title tells you. The burden of obesity among adults with bipolar disorder in the United States

It doesn't say the burden of bipolar among the obese.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think the problem is that more recently, the criteria got broadened to recognize less severe symptoms. I'm not sure if there's a separate name for that, but I've heard it referred to as bi-polar, as well. So this opens to door to relatively normal mood swings to be defined as "bipolar", even so-called mood swings or lifestyle changes that might only be noticeable over longer periods of time: say, one year to the next, or whatever.
No it doesn't. Look at the criteria for yourself. The criteria had to broaden. Before, one had to have psychosis to be called Manic-depressive. The newer criteria is more accurately taking in less severe forms that still need treatment.

Last edited by jencam; 08-27-2017 at 08:27 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 10:55 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:
IDK why you are fighting so hard against genetics. And MI.
I'm not fighting hard against genetics or MI. I'm fighting hard against people who claim genetics are the cause of their illness when they haven't provided proof. Family history doesn't prove a disease is genetic. Quite often, children develop the same illnesses as their parents, not because of something they inherited, but because they're doing the same things their parents did. As for mental illness, my problem is how the medical profession decides who even has it. Mental illness is very real. But it's also overdiagnosed and many people are being put on medications they may not even need.

Quote:
I'm just going to stick with the bolded as that is the on-topic part. What would you have them do otherwise? There is a lot to complain about regarding Big Pharma, I don't like how they push the ones that make them money instead of what is best for the patient, but your rant is a lot bigger than that. You don't like the whole construct of MI. I can't get my head around what you are thinking is the alternative.

You think diet is what causes a schizophrenic to hear voices and have other hallucinations? No, there is something wrong in the brain. It is a shame that science has not advanced enough to say exactly what, like they can with a tumor that cause similar behavior, but the lack of scientific ability to identify the gene or understand the exact chemical/neurological nature of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

They still don't know what causes Multiple Sclerosis. It exists, though, I will tell you that. They are searching for the bipolar gene. So they can remove it. And many Drs tell BP patients they should not have children.
You say there's something wrong in the brain and yet you want to dismiss diet as a potential cause. Why? If someone ate a poor diet, their body would stop functioning correctly. So why is it such a stretch to think it would affect the brain as well? The brain doesn't exist separate from the rest of your body. And I'm glad you brought up MS. Doctors don't know the exact cause of MS, but they can point to what's physically happening, which is the damage to your nervous system. How come they can't say anything similar when it comes to mental illness? Disease usually has a physical aspect to it. If you have diabetes, I can test your blood to see that your blood sugar is too high cause you're not producing insulin. If you have heart disease, I can look at your damaged arteries to see all the plaque buildup. How convenient that, when it comes to mental illness, doctors can't even point to a physical cause and just resort to the "chemical imbalance" line. And maybe the reason nobody's found a BP gene is because there isn't one. Not every disease comes down to a gene.

Quote:
For starters, the title tells you. The burden of obesity among adults with bipolar disorder in the United States

It doesn't say the burden of bipolar among the obese.
Except that's not what you were asking me about. You wanted to see data showing a correlation between obesity and bipolar, which the article shows. Here are two more links.

The potential association between obesity and bipolar disorder: A meta-analysis

Connecting Bipolar Disorder with Obesity

Quote:
No it doesn't. Look at the criteria for yourself. The criteria had to broaden. Before, one had to have psychosis to be called Manic-depressive. The newer criteria is more accurately taking in less severe forms that still need treatment.
Yes, it does. They didn't just broaden the definition to include psychosis. They broadened it to include normal behavior. For example, the criteria says that if you have a week where you have a decreased need for sleep, you're more talkative than usual, and you're more goal-directed, then you're having a manic episode. Really? In college, we had another name for this. Finals week!

Last edited by DennyCrane; 09-01-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-01-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
They broadened it to include normal behavior. For example, the criteria says that if you have a week where you have a decreased need for sleep, you're more talkative than usual, and you're more goal-directed, then you're having a manic episode. Really? In college, we had another name for this. Finals week!
No they didn't. It takes more than that to qualify as a hypomanic episode and 'finals week' behavior would knock out the diagnosis because it specifically says that the behavior has to be a marked departure from normal behavior. That would include what is normal during 'finals week'.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Except that's not what you were asking me about. You wanted to see data showing a correlation between obesity and bipolar, which the article shows. Here are two more links.

The potential association between obesity and bipolar disorder: A meta-analysis

Connecting Bipolar Disorder with Obesity
What I was correcting you on is your contention that obesity can cause bipolar when the studies are clearly about the other way around.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
And I'm glad you brought up MS. Doctors don't know the exact cause of MS, but they can point to what's physically happening, which is the damage to your nervous system. How come they can't say anything similar when it comes to mental illness? Disease usually has a physical aspect to it. If you have diabetes, I can test your blood to see that your blood sugar is too high cause you're not producing insulin. If you have heart disease, I can look at your damaged arteries to see all the plaque buildup.
Brain scans show differences between bipolar brains and non bipolar brains.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0106081217.htm

Old 09-01-2017, 02:26 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Not fake at all, my mom is Bi-polar type 1 and DH is Bi-polar type 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health