Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 04:50 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times

Advertisements

What is it...for (any of) you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 12:05 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
You mean what keeps me from offing myself? Mainly just my cat and there are still some concerts I want to see and trips I want to take.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:33 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Not my job and all the stress it brings, that's for damn sure.

For me, it is having a beginner's mind...taking advantage of learning and doing new things, things that are nourishing physically, emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually.

Creating a network of caring people.

My wonderful cats, who love me unconditionally (and I them)!

Old 07-05-2017, 04:43 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I have two dogs and a few cats, and love all of them, and they keep me company. I worry about how to provide for them if... but they keep me from being lonely.

I have a son who will eventually have a kid and I'll be a grandmother. Right now, I'm delighted that he has a good family and is doing well with his job. Eventually I'd like to live closer, but don't know where he'll be working then so I stay where I am.

I love playing with my house, and would love to get all the rooms that aren't finished done. Especially the one filled with stuff to do some of it with.

I have soooo many stories still to write, at least after I dig out and reedit the text (for format) on the chapters which than ALL the Gods was still on google. Writing is on the short list of most important things I love to do.

I'm very curious about how the world goes, given the scary new threats, and want to know how much it costs to have a better world.

Every day I get up and among the scary noise, there's stories of people standing up for themselves, and I want to be part of their future.

I'm not ready. My health has taken a few swandives, but I am doing pretty good now, within constraints and intend to leave with a sense of peace. (this time... I believe in reincarnation, and that we carry baggage, and when I was born into this life, there were things to resolve which didn't happen).

I believe we learn each life and the memory helps us not repeat past bad issues, and helps us grow.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:38 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Having a spiritual sense of purpose ,
a worldview that rests upon an inner conscious experience that there is a God and I'm not it.
To realize I don't have a soul, I AM a soul.
But ultimately it depends what you do with it. To know of the existence of God but do nothing with it is to wither on the vine, love turned inward is selfishness. The only way to keep that agape love is to give it all away.

Cats and dogs are very cool too, I plan on getting a dog.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:03 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Well, obviously, so many pleasurable experiences make life worth living. Among them:

-- Attending live classical music concerts by the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the Los Angeles Master Chorale, or Los Angeles Opera.

-- The joy of learning through reading. There's a whole fascinating world out there to learn about.

-- Having a nice meal when you're hungry, or a cold beer when you're thirsty.

-- The joy of helping others, in ways both large and small.

-- The joy of driving a car which handles well and has good power. In my case, it's a MazdaSpeed3 (a poor man's sports car).

-- When others appreciate and enjoy some experience you have provided for them.

-- The gratifying feeling of accomplishment when you have learned a new skill or accomplished a difficult task.

-- The pleasure of receiving positive feedback which is clearly sincere and not self-serving to the person giving the feedback.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that life is full non-stop of the above sorts of good things. The good things are of course (by the very nature of life) accompanied by times of pain, discouragement, and difficulties. But the very act of surmounting the pain, discouragement, and difficulties provides satisfaction and joy.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:06 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I saved somebody's life. That's what makes life worth living, for now.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:59 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
I hope somebody saves my life..

Old 07-05-2017, 11:11 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
I'm sure there's probably a hotline number you can call and see if they will. If you have insurance you can call them. They take depression very seriously these days.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:20 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'm sure there's probably a hotline number you can call and see if they will. If you have insurance you can call them. They take depression very seriously these days.
"Take these pills, see you in six weeks."

That's about as serious as they take it.

If your real fortunate you can see a counselor or therapist that basically gives you all kinds of generic advice.

The real help, the kind of stuff that takes care of root causes, is not to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health