Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 04:52 PM

630 posts, read 526,240 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

For years, I have been struggling with a consistent problem: I can't seem to live up to my potential. In primary and high school, college teachers would consistently write that I was a "smart student, though having insufficient or Ok grades". When I liked the teacher, or felt motivated, I would do well. When not, I was doing not so well. I started college with lots of enthusiasm before becoming bored, and do a sloppy work which caused failures. The story always follows the same pattern: I get into something new, I am 100% into it, focus and performance are great (what I call the honeymoon phase), then boredom kicks in, I become blasé, and things turn bad. I've switched majors 3 times, worked many different jobs and I am not that old. I recently realized that I can't seem to focus from a very long time. I can't watch a movie without taking at least a couple breaks. I daydream a lot. I've always had many interest that I would pursue frantically from maybe a year or two before losing interest and moving to the next.
I have been wondering what my problem was for a while and recently came across ADD. I know that ADD is like ADHD's (Which I am not, I'm quiet) poor parent. It is not widely accepted, especially in adults. Any of you has been or knows someone diagnosed with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 09:35 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Sounds like what a lot of people go through....unfortunately for most of us ,even if "boredom" sets in we can't always change our jobs or our "majors".
I also take at least a couple of breaks when watching a movie, though I don't consider that I might have an illness because of it.
If you're looking to catagorize your boredom and "failures" I'm sure some doctor will help you with that.
Realize and except that the job, or course you go to ,are whats paying or will pay your bills..
Ask how many people out there really love their jobs....most of us go to work not because we're passionate about it, but because we've got ourselves and others to support...If the job pays good we stay....many times even when we don't enjoy it.
It's a myth that life runs smooth and everyone can have a job that they enjoy and are passionate about.. most people (even when they hate their jobs, or are bored with them)can't just "move on to the next".
In that respect you've got one up on a lot of people....you still have the freedom to pursue what you want.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:47 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Always best to discuss issues līke this with your MD.
You might get insight on CD or not...we are just the general public, you know

Old 11-24-2017, 01:09 AM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
There are many forms of ADHD/ADD. Get tested by a professional who knows about these conditions. I am ADD, but can't tell you if you are.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:12 AM

61,725 posts, read 87,147,355 times
It could be depression. You should be properly diagnosed by professionals.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:46 AM

58 posts, read 41,478 times
Default ADD in adults

Wow, I sure can relate to your post! I roared through school, only to kind of hit the wall when I got to college. I managed to graduate, but drifted through life for years, unable to understand why nothing ever seemed to work out. I was in my 40's when someone in a position to know suggested I have ADD.

I've never done anything specific about it. Never taken meds, never created a plan of action. All these years later, I still find my lack of attention to detail throwing me backwards in all kinds of strange ways.

in fact, I looked into taking meds about a month ago, but my cardiologist gave me the thumbs down. No ADD meds for me.

But then I started a course about mindfulness. Mindfulness is mostly about paying attention. It's something you learn, or re-learn how to do. Even non-ADD people often pay less attention to the present moment than they should.

I really feel like this is putting me on a good path without drugs or medicine. It might be something for you to try.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:13 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
On this mindfulness issue I often find myself listening to info but not HEARING what I'm listening to. That is when I bring myself to the mindfulness place. Lots of chatter out there and many do not hear.

Old 11-30-2017, 01:55 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,417 times
Could be ADD, or something else. Just talk with a psychologist. Usually ADD is diagnosed as a child and can decrease but will remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health