Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:44 AM

716 posts, read 557,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I also unintentionally married one. Why? Because by the time I met him, at his age of 52, he had long ago figured out how to mask his social deficiencies. Well, not exactly. He used love bombing. Kept me inundated with constant contact etc, to keep me from recognizing those Red Flags. He didn't allow that mask to fall till AFTER the marriage vows were said.
I read that men with Asperger's can be "coached" or learn lines from TV what they think they should say to a female but it doesn't come naturally to them and they eventually stop their "act". They lack emotion and can't read others' emotions and that's why their marriages fail. I could totally see my son being like that. And probably a good thing he doesn't see himself getting married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 12:45 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
People with Aspergers (or ASD as it's now called) do NOT lack emotions. That is a very dangerous and damaging thing to believe about your own son. You don't appear to have done much research at all.

You may be surprised at what research is discovering about how to treat ASD and educate for emotional intelligence and life skills. I guess your son will never benefit from these breakthroughs. Shame.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:20 PM

OK, maybe they don't lack emotions but they don't SHOW them. Is that better? That's exactly how my son is. No facial expressions. Same monotone voice. Why do you think you know him better than I do?

Old 04-17-2018, 01:29 PM

371 posts, read 287,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
OK, maybe they don't lack emotions but they don't SHOW them. Is that better? That's exactly how my son is. No facial expressions. Same monotone voice. Why do you think you know him better than I do?
You are very sensitive to his emotions and that is what counts. If you feel informing him won't help, then don't. Formulate a plan where somehow he can obtain the knowledge otherwise.

You know what is best for your son. If you do get a special needs trust, he will be ok. He is holding down intermittant jobs too so that's a good sign. Blessings to you

Old 04-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
You are very sensitive to his emotions and that is what counts. If you feel informing him won't help, then don't. Formulate a plan where somehow he can obtain the knowledge otherwise.

You know what is best for your son. If you do get a special needs trust, he will be ok. He is holding down intermittant jobs too so that's a good sign. Blessings to you
Thank you for your KIND concern.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:31 PM

371 posts, read 287,958 times
You're very welcome ((hugs))

You're also very patient with the insensitive, rude people in this thread.

Your son is blessed to have you

Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
I read that men with Asperger's can be "coached" or learn lines from TV what they think they should say to a female but it doesn't come naturally to them and they eventually stop their "act". They lack emotion and can't read others' emotions and that's why their marriages fail. I could totally see my son being like that. And probably a good thing he doesn't see himself getting married.
I read that too, but that blog or article was very flawed. She was describing a narcissist.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
You're very welcome ((hugs))

You're also very patient with the insensitive, rude people in this thread.

Your son is blessed to have you
In what way is it rude to answer the question posed in the OP?

Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Personally, I would want to know. I did wonder if Aspergers could potentially be an explanation for certain things about myself, but my therapist didn’t seem to think I had it (or any major problems at all, really).
I am pretty sure that I have Asperger's. I have always felt I am very different from most people. I made a female friend 3 years ago who is married to a man with Asperger's and she told me I was very much like her husband and explained all of it in detail. I did research online and bingo it fit me perfectly and explained a lot of things.

I wish when I was young that this had been explained to me. I am now in my 50's and my life is actually pretty good but I have always had issues socially that I could not overcome and had no idea why I dealt with things the way I did.

I think that someone with Aspergers should know about it. You don't know what sort of inner issues someone with Aspergers might have and to keep that from them is wrong IMHO.

Anyways my 2 cents.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 04-19-2018 at 11:04 PM..

Old 04-06-2019, 12:11 PM

147 posts, read 91,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
We aren't designed to be cookie cooker copies, that's why evolution throws in variation.
Anything schools don't like they will patholigize.
Einstein was slow in his education, started speaking late in childhood. Stubborn to the point he couldnt get a job .

What if they diagnosed and medicated Beethoven, what would he have composed without his temper and anguish.?

What happens when they medicate behavior?
We get columbine and the Cruz kid in FL.
Almost all the mass shooters are in that category. Even the Vegas shooter.
Do you have any links to back up the bolded?
Students I know do really well on medication. I would hate to see a down side to that.

There is no medication for autism. the students i know medicate for behavior and focus.

Last edited by Iwanttocamp; 04-06-2019 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health